My First Real Finds!

poptopking

Feb 6, 2005
southern middle Tennessee
While walking through the woods near a small town in southern middle Tennessee I came across an old falling down chimney out in the middle of nowhere with no roads leading up to it. As I looked over the site I noticed some buttercups so I knew I was at an old homesite. I then noticed a row of Trifoliate Orange plants. These nasty plants with long thorns were imported to this country from the Orient during the Revolutionary War to use as a barrier to stop British advancement. The town I was near was occupied by the North during the Civil War, so I figured the Yanks planted them for protection. Along with the discovery of the plants came the discovery of my first belt buckle complete with the three cartridge clips on the back. The only problem with the buckle is that the CS on it was misspelled and someone accidentally put US on it. The best part of the whole day was I didn't dig the first @(*%&@)!@& pop top! Yeah, I got the fever. You can bet I'll be back out there tomorrow to see what I overlooked.
On the bottom right is a reigns ring from a wagon. I think the item to the left of that is a suspender clip, and a curry comb is to the left of that. On the far left is an ornate horse bit, (our side didn't get to use the fancy ones, we had old bits made out of wire). The cluster of stuff above the suspender clip is the remains of an old clock. There is also horseshoes, a hatchet, a spoon, belt buckle, a jar, and what I think is a cookstove eye lifter. Above the curry comb is some siort of brass reed musical instrument (or part of one) that I would like to get help identifying. I have no idea what the rest of it is, but it sure is fun to look at. On top of all of these finds, yesterday I set my detector to the glass mode and found a 100 year-old Jack Daniel's brown half-pint bottle.

Y'all have a good day now, ya hear?

Attachments

• Dig Finds All.jpg
    Dig Finds All.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Congrats on the nice relics, looks like a return trip is necessary on that site. :D Hardrock

OP
OP
poptopking

poptopking

Feb 6, 2005
Thanks for the praise folks! I guess you remember what it was like to hunt day after day with only a bag of old beer cans and scrap iron to show. As far as me being a yankee goes, I thought they were all gone after the south won the war. And yes, I know a metal detector can't pick up a bottle. It zeroed in on the cork of course.

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County
Some great finds. The contraption on the far left looks like a horse bit. The part of the bridle that goes into the horses mouth. Keep posting the finds from there, really neat stuff. HH Harry

R

rvbvetter

Great finds!! That must be lead glass. The axe head looks cool. WTG!! HH

OP
OP
poptopking

poptopking

Feb 6, 2005
Here is a picture of the bottle. It is an early 1900's brown cork type bottle. Although it doesn't say Jack Daniel's on it, it is the real McCoy - he didn't sign all of his bottles at that time. Since then I found a nice little bucketful of pop tops. The bottle was found aliong the creek near Jack Daniel's. I have found several old bottles here in Lynchburg. I also found a Gunter's bottle a while back. That is the company that sold Jack Daniel's whiskey for him for a period of time.

Attachments

• Jack Daniels Brown Bottle Use.jpg
    Jack Daniels Brown Bottle Use.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 238
R

rvbvetter

? That old jack daniels bottle is a great find!! ? WTG!! ? ? Hey! ?Wait a minute! ?Where's the contents? ?You didn't!? ? ?Did you??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread