UNBELIEVABLE FIND LOOK AT THE 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Unbelievable that is the first thing that came to mind when I found out my field has been mowed...I have been waiting for this moment for months...Driving by every day!!! Well today I got the call...It has been MOWED!!!! No way I said.....Yes way dude....I am on my way!!! And that is how it all started. I met my buddy John at the field and we decided to work around the area we parked. I usually park 100 feet further up the road so I had never hit this area....My first signal.....And what a signal........Now anyone who uses a Whites XLT knows if you get a +89 signal that does not waiver....You dig very carefully....I took my time pinpointing this target....5" deep....Well After getting down 5 inches I was still hitting a strong+89......Oh boy....I am telling you people....I had goosebumps....I still do....But there was a problem.....My target was not in the center of the hole like my trusty Whites XLT told me....Nor was it 5"s deep...It was on the side of the hole...at a HALF inch!!!! OMG I scratched it.....Poor John....He must have thought I was insane...I was running across the field on a dead run.....Screaming punch me in the face...I ruined it....What he was thinking......Until I opened my hand.... And there it was.............OMG A 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF DOLLAR!!!! Well let me tell you....I am not sure IF I scratched her or if she was hit by the plow...All I know is she was hit....A HEART BREAKING thing...I almost puked on the spot...I hope this does kill the value....I also found this button...It has a girl scout type symbol with GS on the top an some type of bird in the symbol....And this worn big time...coppa. My buddy found a 1787 NJ copper in very nice shape....I would tell you more but I really want to post this....I must go puke now...sigh... ;D

Attachments

• draped.jpg
    draped.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 6,674
  • backdraped.jpg
    backdraped.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6,950
  • edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,260
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 6,212
  • coppa.jpg
    coppa.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6,171
Upvote 1
OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Re: UNBELIEVABLE FIND UNBELIEVABLE DAY LOOK AT THE FLOWING HAIR!!!

KirkPA said:
Oh, I forgot, you swing one of the best detectors on the market: WHITE'S!

I dont never think I ever saw no one who swung a Minelab find a wilver Flowing! NO WAY!

*Just pulling your strings Minelabers! :-* :D
I just did some research on this coin....I think it is a half dollar. I compared it to my silver dollar and it is a little smaller but a little bigger than a half dollar. On the rim it reads...FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR....I feel silly now...lol. O well I guess it is a Half dollar....Sigh

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007

Holy fecal matter......sweet sweet sweeeeeeeet...congrats man.........

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice coin!!!! Nice piece of history in your hand.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Holy, Flowing! Holy, Dollar! Holy, Silver! Holy! Holy! Holy!

You rock, bud, you rock, bud, you rock, bud! :-*

You ROCK!

*Before I clicked post, KirkPA slapped me straight across my jib! He stated, "Get a hold of yourself, zoy! Kyle, Kyle, Kyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle!"

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

WHO CARES, BUD? IT DON'T MATTER TO NOBODY THAT DON'T EVER FIND NO FLOWING WILVER! YOU FOUND FLOWING AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS, FLOWING HALF DUDE!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

its a field and wasnt down very deep ! so i'd say you didnt scratch it , But man !!!! what a find :o very big congrats ;)

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used

KirkPA said:
WHO CARES, BUD? IT DON'T MATTER TO NOBODY THAT DON'T EVER FIND NO FLOWING WILVER! YOU FOUND FLOWING AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS, FLOWING HALF DUDE!
I am still pumped...I never thought I would find one of these...Hell....I was happy with a silver rosey...lol

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

WOW! I can imagine your excitement when you saw what you had found. Anyway you look at it, it is a beautiful find. Keep on that site no telling what else is lurking underground. Thanks for sharing the photo. Wonder if the Girl Scout button's bird might be a Blue Bird. I'm not sure if the Blue Birds and Girl Scout organizations were ever connected or had a relationship to each other though.

JRich

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Flowing hair 1/2 dime,half, whatever..still a super find!!!
Should make the banner!!!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Scratched or not, that is still one hell of a coin! You couldn't slap the grin off my face for months.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Those blemishes will diminish the value of the coin a great deal, but it is an incredible find nonetheless. I got to hold a 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar a few months ago (it led to me getting the silver farm) and it had a gouge that cut its price from $2000-3000 to $500. The dollar is worth a lot more than the half. Great find!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

A FIND OF A LIFETIME - SCRATCH OR NO SCRATCH! A COIN LIKE THAT IS ON ALL OF OUR WISH (DREAM) LIST! INCREDIBLE! CERTAINLY SHOULD MAKE THE BEST FINDS OF 2007 ISSUE. BY THE WAY, TO AVOID SCRATCHING ITEMS IN THE FUTURE (THOUGH I'M NOT SAYING YOU SCRATCHED THIS ONE), WHEN IN A FIELD OR THE WOODS, USE A 26" GARDEN SHOVEL AND YOU CAN CUT A REAL WIDE PLUG TO BE SURE YOUR NOT NEAR THE TARGET.

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used

halfdime said:
Those blemishes will diminish the value of the coin a great deal, but it is an incredible find nonetheless. I got to hold a 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar a few months ago (it led to me getting the silver farm) and it had a gouge that cut its price from $2000-3000 to $500. The dollar is worth a lot more than the half. Great find!
How bad was the scratch on your coin?

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Holy sweet mother of treasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you should make the banner and stay there FOREVER lol
u should also make every metal detecting magazine in the country...and be the front cover lol
friggin awesome sweetness find dude
can i please please PLEASE hold it? haha just kiddin......not really
yea i agree scratch or not a find like this is priceless
i wouldntve been able to run full speed across a field after a find like that
id be crawling lol

hope u find many more like this so u can send them to ME! lol
good luck & HH

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

outraged said:
halfdime said:
I'll see if I can email you a picture; I have trouble posting pictures on this site because of their file size.

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used

halfdime said:
outraged said:
halfdime said:
I'll see if I can email you a picture; I have trouble posting pictures on this site because of their file size.
Thanks bro...I would love to see it. I hope the value is not killed that bad....I would not be able to live with myself...lol

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

outraged said:
halfdime said:
outraged said:
halfdime said:
Thanks bro...I would love to see it. I hope the value is not killed that bad....I would not be able to live with myself...lol
The picture seemed to attach OK; let me know how you receive it.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow OR--- That is one fantstic find. Congrats to you

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used

halfdime said:
outraged said:
halfdime said:
outraged said:
halfdime said:
The picture seemed to attach OK; let me know how you receive it.
I got it...Thanks...

Thank all of you for your replies. This was my most memorable day ever with a detector in my hand. This is a dream find for me. I think back at the luck I have had this year with my first gold coin, Over 20 seated dimes, 1796 Liberty Cap LC, 1805 LC...My first Silver dollar......And over 150 silvers.....Life could not get any better...Until TODAY that is!!!! Man I love this hobby!!! I still have goosebumps!!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

That's an incredible find for sure!

I wonder what a person could buy with a half dollar in 1795? I'm sure when you walk onto that field next time it will be 10 times more exciting to hunt.

Just knowing, maybe there's another one.... ;)

Congratulations, Outraged!

Great job!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread