Cache'ing A Dream

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs banks....right?

A couple contacted me about some valuable items that were apparently buried on land that they now owned.A family member that had amassed many items was ill and was supposed to show his longtime friend where these items were buried.Time went on and he never divulged where he supposedly buried the items in question.

One day when the family members came over, they found a dirty shovel in the living room, which was very unusual.They asked him about the shovel and he said he just forgot it there.They thought that was odd.Later, they also found out that there was a toolbox missing from the garage.Did he bury these items in the missing toolbox?

After his passing, the family purchased a metal detector to see if, in fact, he had actually buried the items they thought he still had.They knew there was no safety deposit box, as he had some problems with the bank years earlier and he did not trust them.They searched the property but came up empty.

Apparently the items in question were buried on about 4 acres of land.I hunted several times a week for about 3 weeks.I did find some old tools, some coins and a kid’s ring, but no luck on the "treasure".
IMG_1296.JPG
Perhaps this was just a tall tale and the treasure was spent long ago.No one knew for sure.

I found an overgrown spot near a tree, old stump and fence line of the property.I kept getting inconsistent signals from this one area.After 45 minutes of digging around, I realized that there was a barbed wire fence that was embedded in the ground.I cut through the fence and proceeded to probe around.Still inconsistent signals, but I was able to eliminate most of them by turning down my pinpointer.I was now getting a faint steady signal below the surface and not from the barbed wire fence.I knew something was there.

After changing my position, I proceeded to dig down again.After a few minutes of digging, my shovel blade hit the sweet sound of a metal container.After switching detectors, I was able to get a nice picture of the object in the ground through analysis imaging and it did confirm that this was a box of some kind.Could it truly be the toolbox with the alleged treasure???
IMG_1303.JPG
There is bad news and good news . . .
IMG_1304.JPG
The bad news . . . after unearthing a metal box, we realized that this IS NOT the metal toolbox that disappeared from the garage.

The good news . . . The box was FULL!!!I could hear objects moving about as I struggled to free the box from the clay earth.Could this be my lucky day???

After getting a large hammer from the garage, I broke the lock off the box and opened the lid.I instantly saw silver coins and as I peeled back some of the items then I saw the color of gold!!!A toolbox FULL of coins, jewelry and collectibles.
IMG_1317.JPG
I am truly blessed and it happened on my Mother’s birthday.About 5 years ago I found some silver on my Dad’s birthday.Call it divine intervention.Call it luck or just persistence.Whatever the case, you never know what you can find . . . unless you try!

IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

I will continue to detect, explore and enjoy this hobby, after not touching a metal detector for 30 years since I was a kid.Needless to say, this fun hobby has now turned into a profitable one!

I am very thankful, to say the least, but I wonder what happened to that other toolbox???

Thanks M&C/E&D

Last edited:
Upvote 60

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
buried in the late 80's or 90's at the earliest. nice find and good job helping them out.

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this is a legitimate inquiry, what exactly is analysis imaging and how did you accomplish that?

Yes, it is a legit question. One the machines I own does that by giving you a real time image of the items with target info as well.

Thanks for your question!

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buried in the late 80's or 90's at the earliest. nice find and good job helping them out.

From what Ive looked at and heard from the family, I think you are correct.

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1407.JPG Here's the pic. 14 ozs & 35 ozs....notice the penny in between them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding, Amazing... Excellent cache recovery! :notworthy::notworthy:

I am looking forward to seeing all the items close up! :icon_thumleft:

Here's a better pic of about 85 percent of the items found. Some coins, watches & silver flatware is being kept by the family. Its been a large task to figure out what everything is...list it...grade it etc. etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great persistence. I can only imagine your face when you opened that lid. I think I would have needed a change of underwear.

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great persistence. I can only imagine your face when you opened that lid. I think I would have needed a change of underwear.

The smile has never left....especially when we found out what some items are worth:laughing7:. I keep one item close by..just so I can check if I'm dreaming!

Here's IMG_1410.JPG a pic to smile about

Last edited:

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats James. I seriously would of had a heart attack if that was me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply AMAZING! Congrats on the find and story of a lifetime! Please post a complete list of what you found when you can.

-- Jeff --

List not completed yet but here's another pic for you. All proof with mirror finish. One of these...I've seen a cleaner coin, condition wise.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be attempt 2 at getting a banner.

Incredible recovery, excellent posts & pics, wonderful responses (you're far more eloquent than I would have been on some ::)) and congrats!!! :thumbsup:

I also vote Banner and hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm! 8-)

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Here's the pic IMG_1365 (2).JPG the best I can do on this ring with this pic. I will take another when time permits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No toolbox but got a bottle(empty too :icon_scratch:) I don't even collect bottles IMG_1740.JPG

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that find! Awesome finds and to think that there may be more! This is what leads so many people to do this hobby and you hit it! Man, you would have had to collect me up as I would have just sat and stared hours on end at everything, waiting to wake from a dream. Glad you hit yours and maybe the other is still there to be found. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again! We have been hunting the site but no luck as of yet. I thought I hit it the other day but it was just a rusty old can.
This is something that was found inside the house. Besides a choker/necklace do you know what it is? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502144226.636442.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread