Cache'ing A Dream

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs banks....right?

A couple contacted me about some valuable items that were apparently buried on land that they now owned.A family member that had amassed many items was ill and was supposed to show his longtime friend where these items were buried.Time went on and he never divulged where he supposedly buried the items in question.

One day when the family members came over, they found a dirty shovel in the living room, which was very unusual.They asked him about the shovel and he said he just forgot it there.They thought that was odd.Later, they also found out that there was a toolbox missing from the garage.Did he bury these items in the missing toolbox?

After his passing, the family purchased a metal detector to see if, in fact, he had actually buried the items they thought he still had.They knew there was no safety deposit box, as he had some problems with the bank years earlier and he did not trust them.They searched the property but came up empty.

Apparently the items in question were buried on about 4 acres of land.I hunted several times a week for about 3 weeks.I did find some old tools, some coins and a kid’s ring, but no luck on the "treasure".
IMG_1296.JPG
Perhaps this was just a tall tale and the treasure was spent long ago.No one knew for sure.

I found an overgrown spot near a tree, old stump and fence line of the property.I kept getting inconsistent signals from this one area.After 45 minutes of digging around, I realized that there was a barbed wire fence that was embedded in the ground.I cut through the fence and proceeded to probe around.Still inconsistent signals, but I was able to eliminate most of them by turning down my pinpointer.I was now getting a faint steady signal below the surface and not from the barbed wire fence.I knew something was there.

After changing my position, I proceeded to dig down again.After a few minutes of digging, my shovel blade hit the sweet sound of a metal container.After switching detectors, I was able to get a nice picture of the object in the ground through analysis imaging and it did confirm that this was a box of some kind.Could it truly be the toolbox with the alleged treasure???
IMG_1303.JPG
There is bad news and good news . . .
IMG_1304.JPG
The bad news . . . after unearthing a metal box, we realized that this IS NOT the metal toolbox that disappeared from the garage.

The good news . . . The box was FULL!!!I could hear objects moving about as I struggled to free the box from the clay earth.Could this be my lucky day???

After getting a large hammer from the garage, I broke the lock off the box and opened the lid.I instantly saw silver coins and as I peeled back some of the items then I saw the color of gold!!!A toolbox FULL of coins, jewelry and collectibles.
IMG_1317.JPG
I am truly blessed and it happened on my Mother’s birthday.About 5 years ago I found some silver on my Dad’s birthday.Call it divine intervention.Call it luck or just persistence.Whatever the case, you never know what you can find . . . unless you try!

IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

I will continue to detect, explore and enjoy this hobby, after not touching a metal detector for 30 years since I was a kid.Needless to say, this fun hobby has now turned into a profitable one!

I am very thankful, to say the least, but I wonder what happened to that other toolbox???

Thanks M&C/E&D

Last edited:
Upvote 60

cascadianshadow

Jun 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucky dog! That's friggin amazing, persistance pays off ! What're the odds that you're looking for one box full of treasure, but end up finding a totally unrelated other box of treasure?!

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucky dog! That's friggin amazing, persistance pays off ! What're the odds that you're looking for one box full of treasure, but end up finding a totally unrelated other box of treasure?!

No you read it wrong or I didn't write it correctly....this IS what we were looking for....just a different or other toolbox

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance we could get a list of coins and other wonderful goodies that you found ? Amazing dream come true !!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
What else can you say except "that's what it's all about"
that is treasure, no doubt about that
congratulations on your amazing recovery

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing! As Argentium suggested....maybe post a list of everything that was in there and some close-ups? What was the oldest item in there? Newest? Most valuable? Any key dates on the coins?

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply AMAZING! Congrats on the find and story of a lifetime! Please post a complete list of what you found when you can.

-- Jeff --

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Great post! Congrats and HH

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wonder what he buried in the box that was missing from the garage ?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding, Amazing... Excellent cache recovery! :notworthy::notworthy:

I am looking forward to seeing all the items close up! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding, Amazing... Excellent cache recovery! :notworthy::notworthy:

I am looking forward to seeing all the items close up! :icon_thumleft:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tree, stump, fenceline, would have allowed triangulation for recovery by original cachee.(?)
Wire discouraged metal detector.

Great patient hunting.
What recoveries/ items!!!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Wow! amazing find! I"m guessing it had to go to the family? Hopefully you got something out of it!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice treasure hunt and find!! As others have said, a full list of the contents would be cool! I understand the trill is sometimes just in the hunt, but did you get a reward?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beige

Greenie
Jul 17, 2013
Edgar, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those gold coins I see?