Flat Button and a Mystery Item--1683 Property, Mass

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening, friends. We are enjoying reading about your finds--feels good to know that even though we may not find exciting stuff on a given day, others are! Anyway, John Doug for a little bit after work today and found a flat button and a strange looking button type relic, connected by a sort of loop. Almost looks like it was soldered with silver? The main pieces are octagonal in shape. Any ideas on that one? Hope you all have a pleasant night. Thanks for looking. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    895.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4195.JPG
    IMG_4195.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 8
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Casper, yes, seems like finding them intact is pretty rare. We're excited about that. There does seem to be a design, but it is so faint. I'm going to see if I can do some type of trick photography to bring the design out. We'll see. Take care. -L&J

its awesome found them complete - in 45 yrs ive only found 2 complete - lots of singles
most octagons ive seen do have a design usually - lot of times - usually a Tudor rose
they should be from the 1700s

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, thanks for looking. Do you really think they are Colonial era though? I'm wondering if they might be a century newer. Tough call without much detail on the cuff links. I guess we can all agree that they are OLD! ;-)

Take care, -L&J

QUOTE=Ahab8;5426680]Very cool find. I love colonial links. One of my favorite finds. You should google some of the colonial silver etched links. Great job
[/QUOTE]

All of that style that I have found are from site pre dating the 1800s. One site that gave up a bunch was gone by 1780 or so. To get a good pic put them down in a dark room and shine an led (phone) light across the face of them. Play with the angle a little bit and you will get a much better shot of the design.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DDF, how the heck are ya? We are glad to be back. Our weather here has been lousy. It feels like it will never be warm and sunny again. Only got out a couple of times in the past month. Glad to find something interesting though. Hope you've been well. Thanks for looking. -L&J

Thanks Lisa, been getting out when I can, jyst popped a new Nel coil on the ATPRO and boy she is sniffing deep now! I would suggest you do the same, I'm sure there are some juicy targets deep beneath your coil. I hit a school with it last nite and I THOUGHT I had it cleaned out...wow, huge difference, dug a lot of stuff 8 inches plus, but alas, no silver...but a few nice wheaties! Was a very good investment indeed. Weather here is hot, ground is dry and hard..ugh..Lisa I hope the weather turns better for you guys, I'm positive that there is a lot more to come out of the ground there...Ddf

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent advice on the photography! Thanks!

Don't laugh, but -- I needed a history lesson. For some reason, when I think of Colonial era, I think 17th century (first 13 colonies), but I guess it includes the years right up to the Revolutionary War. Duh. Sorry, Abe...getting old and forgetful here, lol.

Lisa

All of that style that I have found are from site pre dating the 1800s. One site that gave up a bunch was gone by 1780 or so. To get a good pic put them down in a dark room and shine an led (phone) light across the face of them. Play with the angle a little bit and you will get a much better shot of the design.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Lisa, been getting out when I can, jyst popped a new Nel coil on the ATPRO and boy she is sniffing deep now! I would suggest you do the same, I'm sure there are some juicy targets deep beneath your coil. I hit a school with it last nite and I THOUGHT I had it cleaned out...wow, huge difference, dug a lot of stuff 8 inches plus, but alas, no silver...but a few nice wheaties! Was a very good investment indeed. Weather here is hot, ground is dry and hard..ugh..Lisa I hope the weather turns better for you guys, I'm positive that there is a lot more to come out of the ground there...Ddf

DDF -- John used his little NEL coil to find these relics! The thing is awesome--He was using his giant coil, but this little one finds things that the big one doesn't. Rock on, AT PRO! Glad you're finding those targets! ~L&J

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be either linked-buttons used at the neck or cuff-links, both are late 18th C. Nice to get the pair!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again____ my proven go-to is 2 minutes electrolysis then super gentle few seconds with Brillo under tap water to reveal details.

just my "off the cuff" opinion :laughing7::laughing7:
nice diggin' _________as John seems accustomed to findin' the lurking loot :icon_thumright:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Found a few singles like that including a monogrammed silver one but never the pair

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It can be either linked-buttons used at the neck or cuff-links, both are late 18th C. Nice to get the pair!

Thanks more confirming that, Cru! What we thought was nothing much ended up being quite fascinating. And so it goes with metal detecting! -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Found a few singles like that including a monogrammed silver one but never the pair

Toasted, how very cool to find a monogrammed silver one. We believe these are copper. Thanks for looking. -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ace, thanks for the tips! And for your "off the cuff" opinion, LOL! -L&J

QUOTE=port ewen ace;5426977]again____ my proven go-to is 2 minutes electrolysis then super gentle few seconds with Brillo under tap water to reveal details.

just my "off the cuff" opinion :laughing7::laughing7:
nice diggin' _________as John seems accustomed to findin' the lurking loot :icon_thumright:[/QUOTE]

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toasted, how very cool to find a monogrammed silver one. We believe these are copper. Thanks for looking. -L&J

Here it is

Attachments

• IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    631.7 KB · Views: 50
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! The mystery item is a cool complete cuff link, congratulation! :occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find ! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread