12th day found a keeper in local park

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Hello, found a keeper today so exciting , been wanting to get this one on my list , i hunted this park a few days ago, very slow going, but i decided to go back as i think it may be the oldest park in my town, i got out of my car turned the machine on and as usual get a coin within feet of where i start, this was a deep signal and was not quite a coin sound on the ace 250, but pretty solid and could of been jewlery i end up pulling my first buffalo nickel out of the hole about 5 inches down, dated 1936, really dark color, can the nickel color be brought back? looks like in good shape, also earlier in the day i hunted a small school in another town for about a hour and found some clad coins, also found a pulltab out where i found the nickel , how old is this? never seen one like it before, i was finding alot of tabs from the pre 1970's , but this one looks real old, , ----happy hunting all,

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 674
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That's a really nice Buff.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Must have been nice when you dug that buffalo up.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice Buffalo!

The date is clear. Congratulations!

Ridley

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Yep.....I can see the full horn. I bet it was droped the same year.

OP
OP
treasureguy

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Hello, thanks everyone,it was a find for around here in a park thats for sure, i use to work for the city parks and remember this area someone dug up the lawn on one particular side , this part of the park is on a edge of steep hillside, overlooking the ellensburg rodeo, i am sure many years ago spectators of the event dropped this coin,, it was in a unlikely place to find a coin as very narrow between a road and fence, , this place has been hunted by detectorist for years, i plan on going back when i have more time to hunt this park slower, good hunting all, Dusty

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice finds!! Buffalo seems to be on everyones list!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Nice Buff. Don't worry about the color, that's what makes it have sprit. Once redman, always red man.
HH

Desertfox

OP
OP
treasureguy

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Hello, no 3 legs, but i see if in top shape gem proof etc, they can be worth up to $7,800 according to ebay for the year 1936 buffalo nickel, there are several right now listed at 1000+ on ebay, this one probaly only worth a few bucks because of sitting in the ground for so many years, , i imagined this survived being detected for alot of years by reading as a trash single, i am starting to dig more and more trash singles, and digging more often and is paying off, i will see if i can't find another coin not on my list there is lots of them to find, keep the hobby very interesting, until next time all, happy hunting,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread