Good day! Silver Quarter ring, No date Standing Liberty Quarter.

Huskerdigs

Tenderfoot
Sep 17, 2015
midwest
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I'm not a big poster but I regularly check out the finds here and have learned a lot.

I've been visiting an old sledding hill and getting a few wheats each time. Today I was lucky to find a silver ring, standing liberty quarter (very worn) and a 1968 Canadian quarter. The standing liberty was almost on the surface with some of the clad 6-8 inches deep. There's lots of mole activity and erosion which might explain this.

The ring has United States of America and Liberty on the inside. I can also see a date - maybe 1957. With a quick search I found a youtube video showing how to make these. I suppose the ring could be a recent drop???

I also find a lot of metal strips that resemble flashing - maybe copper? They usually have a roofing nail attached. These sound off in the quarter range so I have a good collection started.

Anyway, a good day for me. Here's a few pics:

Attachments

• 20170610_211129[1].jpg
    20170610_211129[1].jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Standing liberty.jpg
    Standing liberty.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 250
  • Sledding hill finds.jpg
    Sledding hill finds.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 13

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic hunt - Sweet Silver!! :occasion14:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice. The 68 Canadian could be part silver or nickel. Does it stick to a magnet? If not you have a part silver one. Love the standers in any condition. `

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the ring shallow , or a few inches down ? I would think it could be older . There are a ton of coin rings being knocked out by a much faster method which basically involves making a washer by punching a disc out of the center , putting it on a ring mandril and hammering with a mallot to make a ring which allows the designs to remain inside and out . Yours is made by the much more labor intensive method of upsetting the edge with a lightweight hammer while rotating it on an anvil surface , then drilling and sawing the center out .Nice Find !!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You done very good there mate. The coin ring is a super cool find. Post early & often. :hello:

OP
OP
H

Huskerdigs

Tenderfoot
Sep 17, 2015
midwest
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the ring shallow , or a few inches down ? I would think it could be older . There are a ton of coin rings being knocked out by a much faster method which basically involves making a washer by punching a disc out of the center , putting it on a ring mandril and hammering with a mallot to make a ring which allows the designs to remain inside and out . Yours is made by the much more labor intensive method of upsetting the edge with a lightweight hammer while rotating it on an anvil surface , then drilling and sawing the center out .Nice Find !!

Hello, the ring was ~6 inches deep. I agree the ring doesn't have a mass produced look to it and it does show some wear. Thank you for the info - before this find I had no idea these existed.

OP
OP
H

Huskerdigs

Tenderfoot
Sep 17, 2015
midwest
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. The 68 Canadian could be part silver or nickel. Does it stick to a magnet? If not you have a part silver one. Love the standers in any condition. `

Thanks for the info - I tried a few different magnets and they don't stick. By the way, I enjoy your posts - I lived in Ann Arbor and East Lansing for quite a while. Still have lots of family in the suburbs around Detroit.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds- love the SLQ, date or not!

-- Jeff --

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember making one in the 1960's when in Jr High. Used a silver Quarter and a tea spoon as the hammer. Drilled and polished it in shop class.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread