Etched Brass Pistol Butt Cap, Watch Winder, Ugly Flying Eagle

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a few hours in the 90 degree sun yesterday. I didn't last too long. Find of the day was another first. A really nice brass pistol butt cap. It's pretty bent and I'm not sure if I will try to straighten it. Opinions are welcome. Also found a watch winder and my first Flying Eagle. It's absolutely hideous!
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG
IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5895.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG
IMG_5914.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 38
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool pistol butt! If I wanted it straightened, I'd send it to a pro. That being said, I think it looks good the way it is-would be a shame to break it.

I agree with the professional straightening but think I'll leave as is. I'm not much for modifying a find from its original state unless it something really special that is broken or would benefit greatly from being repaired.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Abe. The pistol butt cap is really sweet... I say leave it as found.

I see a square shoe buckle chape too.

Congrats on the flying eagle too.

Best of luck to you in the field!

Thanks my man. Yeah that's a different chair than I've ever found or seen. That FE is one ugly coin lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pistol butt plate[emoji844]I think it was someone that had some money for the fancy. A eagle 🦅 is a eagle,not easy to find[emoji106]Awesome job battling the heat,I'm going to try today [emoji91]

Thanks buddy. Pretty psyched with this butt cap. Hope you had a good hunt

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Ahab.
The pistol button is not a very common find. An engraved pistol button is even less common.
The Flying Eagle Cent is a most Excellent Find.
Congratulations.

Thanks so much buddy. Happy to add a new first to the collection. Don't see many pop up

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY___________________WHAT A NICE BUTT YOU HAVE :laughing7::laughing7:
any captured Eagle is a good dig, it will clean nicely if yer REALLY CAREFUL :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - The butt plate is certainly a great find, especially as I can only recall one or two posted on T-Net, none of which were engraved. Great Recovery! I worked on the excavation of the Whydah pirate ship off Cape Cod back in the late 80s. They recovered a number of weapons over the years - some complete and some whole. I don't want to photo bomb your thread, but I have some awesome images of a pistol with the most fantastic butt plate imaginable. I'll post it if you want.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - The butt plate is certainly a great find, especially as I can only recall one or two posted on T-Net, none of which were engraved. Great Recovery! I worked on the excavation of the Whydah pirate ship off Cape Cod back in the late 80s. They recovered a number of weapons over the years - some complete and some whole. I don't want to photo bomb your thread, but I have some awesome images of a pistol with the most fantastic butt plate imaginable. I'll post it if you want.

Post em up my man. I don't get territorial on my threads. I just saw an interview with the guy that discovered the Whydah (from Maine I believe?) They just had a Whydah display at the Portland Museum. I wish I could have found time to see it. I find it so impressive that they kept everything together and didn't sell anything off. I understand that they gave some of the crew and helpers pieces that were eventually sold by some but almost the entirety of the collection is still intact. What an experience that must have been. Love to hear a little about it

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Abe. I've found an ear I think but never a whole butt plate. The rest must be around there somewhere.
With the temps getting up there it's time to get in the water [emoji97]

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find Abe. I've found an ear I think but never a whole butt plate. The rest must be around there somewhere.
With the temps getting up there it's time to get in the water [emoji97]

No, only Abe finds insane completely intact stuff. The rest of us are stuck with ears, lips, and noses. Abe gets the steak - we get the 99 cent hot dogs. Lol

And take Brad with ya swimming...and take a video. Lol

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post em up my man. I don't get territorial on my threads. I just saw an interview with the guy that discovered the Whydah (from Maine I believe?) They just had a Whydah display at the Portland Museum. I wish I could have found time to see it. I find it so impressive that they kept everything together and didn't sell anything off. I understand that they gave some of the crew and helpers pieces that were eventually sold by some but almost the entirety of the collection is still intact. What an experience that must have been. Love to hear a little about it

Abe - Sorry, I didn't follow-up sooner with the photos. Your thread had sailed off to page two, but let's bring it back to port. Here's some photos of the pistol with a killer butt cap found on the Whydah.

127.jpg

Whydah-Book-070215-01240[1].jpg

The silk ribbon wrapped around the handle is mentioned in primary source documents of the period, which noted pirates wearing pistols slung over their shoulders. Pirates would carry as many weapons as possible when boarding a vessel - loaded and ready for action as much of show and intimidation as actual use. If they did resort to their weapons, they likely fired what they had and then went for their sword. There was no time for reloading on a rolling ship deck with men busy about the business of killing each other.

I worked two summers on the Whydah, which I will never forget. No one on the crew received coins or any such thing from the site - just a paycheck and the experience of a lifetime. Several coins (perhaps more) went to some VIP's in the early days but nothing more. One or two of these coins were eventually sold by auction (Sedwick) - eight-reale cobs with a numismatic value of $400 to $500, but they sold many times higher due to their provenance. I believe $8,000 - $12,000. The Whydah collection is fantastic, and it's now back on the Cape in a museum that opened last year. It's well worth seeing if you ever visit the Cape.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an awesome and rare find man! Big congratulations!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - Sorry, I didn't follow-up sooner with the photos. Your thread had sailed off to page two, but let's bring it back to port. Here's some photos of the pistol with a killer butt cap found on the Whydah.

View attachment 1466643

View attachment 1466644

The silk ribbon wrapped around the handle is mentioned in primary source documents of the period, which noted pirates wearing pistols slung over their shoulders. Pirates would carry as many weapons as possible when boarding a vessel - loaded and ready for action as much of show and intimidation as actual use. If they did resort to their weapons, they likely fired what they had and then went for their sword. There was no time for reloading on a rolling ship deck with men busy about the business of killing each other.

I worked two summers on the Whydah, which I will never forget. No one on the crew received coins or any such thing from the site - just a paycheck and the experience of a lifetime. Several coins (perhaps more) went to some VIP's in the early days but nothing more. One or two of these coins were eventually sold by auction (Sedwick) - eight-reale cobs with a numismatic value of $400 to $500, but they sold many times higher due to their provenance. I believe $8,000 - $12,000. The Whydah collection is fantastic, and it's now back on the Cape in a museum that opened last year. It's well worth seeing if you ever visit the Cape.

Oh my god man. That thing is stunning! Thank you so much for sharing that buddy. So that entire display is in Maine right now. Borrowed I'm guessing from the museum in The Cape. I have to go see it. Incredible

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1466643

View attachment 1466644

Damn you Abe! Next time try and find the whole thing! Lol:

Great info!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That pistol butt cap is sure gonna be a conversation piece.
Excellent find

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
after firing -often if rushed ==a flintlock pistol was often used as a club with the butt cap as the impact point ..so yah that might be why its bent and likely why you found it .. it might have busted off the pistol in the fray --check the area closely the barrel and lock works might be close by if the user lost the fight

as a retired 27 year deep waters merchant seaman ( 8 months per year 12 hours a day --minimum) --I've seen some of the stuff that the Ocean has in it .. Lobsterzilla is no surprise --I've seen stuff that if I told folks they would think me a lair , but I understand --some things you gotta see in person to believe..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread