🥇 BANNER The find of a lifetime! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. 18814336_10209321218691077_6990423850541621481_n.jpg 19105701_10209321219051086_7146193852843806294_n.jpg

Upvote 137

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Donnie, I just checked Ebay and saw a 1652 Pine Tree shilling just like yous going for $83,500. There is another one going for $22,000. So don't say your find is not worth a retirement fund. Check it out:
1652 PINE TREE SHILLING NGC MS 65 | eBay

There are others going for $68,000 and $36,000. What you need to do to get those high prices is send your coin to PCGS or NGC and have it "slabbed." That means encapsulated and graded. This will guarantee the value of the coin.

Rarity and condition are everything. Condition is great as far as details go but it would be considered and labeled environmentally damaged. As he said it's also one of the more common varieties (that I would love to find, by the way). Some of the most common varieties are available for a couple thousand, so it's valuable coin by any measure but the numbers thrown around on here are mainly for the finest non-dug examples of the rarest varieties.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man I love this post. Right on Donnie!

Thank you! I'm still on Cloud Nine!

Hey Donnie, I just checked Ebay and saw a 1652 Pine Tree shilling just like yous going for $83,500. There is another one going for $22,000. So don't say your find is not worth a retirement fund. Check it out:
1652 PINE TREE SHILLING NGC MS 65 | eBay

There are others going for $68,000 and $36,000. What you need to do to get those high prices is send your coin to PCGS or NGC and have it "slabbed." That means encapsulated and graded. This will guarantee the value of the coin.

Thank you. My coin is a Noe 16 and is considered one of the more common varieties. It wouldn't go for those kinds of numbers; however, I was contacted by Stacks and Bowers to inquire if I would allow them to auction it should I choose to sell it some day.

SPECTACULAR find!

Thank you!

Rarity and condition are everything. Condition is great as far as details go but it would be considered and labeled environmentally damaged. As he said it's also one of the more common varieties (that I would love to find, by the way). Some of the most common varieties are available for a couple thousand, so it's valuable coin by any measure but the numbers thrown around on here are mainly for the finest non-dug examples of the rarest varieties.

I'm actually not so sure it would be labeled as environmentally damaged. It very well could receive such a grade, but I found it extremely interesting that the Oak Tree Three Pence found in England recently with a metal detector actually received an AU-50 grade. It wasn't a details grade. It was actually graded! I thought about sending it into NGC for conservation, and, out of curiosity, just see if it would actually receive a grade. I may do that someday but I'm in no hurry because I don't plan to ever sell the coin. I captured a screen shot of the Oak Tree Three Pence that was graded and added it to this post. snapshot.jpg

Last edited:

beenhunting72

Oct 12, 2017
ny
Detector(s) used
garrets at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way it goes if you have it ,,not wirth much if they have it ,priceless

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful!!
Deepsix47

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up in the latest W&E Donnie!!!!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Even better that it’s in such great shape! Also a great article in W&E, just got mine this afternoon! Thanks for sharing and GL&HH

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!

Thank you! I bought the only three copies that my local Barnes and Noble had today! :)

Don't blame ya bud, I'd buy every one I could get my hands on!!!!! Again BIG CONGRATZ..... btw I dig to t-shirt!!!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't blame ya bud, I'd buy every one I could get my hands on!!!!! Again BIG CONGRATZ..... btw I dig to t-shirt!!!

I ordered five more copies yesterday............LOL! My wife found the T-Shirt for me and bought two of them. I wear it on special occasions.......LOL!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That real old coin came out better than some of the large cents I have seen recently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread