🥇 BANNER The find of a lifetime! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. 18814336_10209321218691077_6990423850541621481_n.jpg 19105701_10209321219051086_7146193852843806294_n.jpg

Upvote 137

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this the reason it's not getting the recognition it deserves??
I think it's a Banner find !
Congratulations Don!

I just saw this post , maybe people like me are waiting to come out of "SHOCK" after seeing such a Sweet Coin.

& Hey Donnie B from VA, Love the Hat , I'd now wear that one till it falls apart . 'Lucky Hat'!

I'm not being mean as I look much 'Rougher' when out detecting.
People usually think I'm a Construction worker or Homeless with a Shovel for a Wife.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin! May be a more common variety but that's why it's so hard to find a huge money one. You need decent to great condition and extreme rarity, or problematic / so-so condition with super rarity (or if you are incredibly lucky great condition & super rarity) ... and then on top of that it has to be a coin that has a big demand with people who are willing to fight for it. Being one of the more common ones makes it that much easier to keep... of course even a common MASS silver is a 'rare' coin, and a really rare find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your compliments and congratulations on your Noe 29! I haven't had the coin graded yet but a representative of one of the major auction houses contacted me after seeing a post of my find. He said it would likely grade either Extremely Fine or About Uncirculated (details). I haven't touched mine and have left the dirt on it for now (other than a spray of water in the field). I'm afraid to touch it!

"I'd"Leave it alone ( as a tiny scratch made by me would put my OCD into Overdrive.

If I could make a 'levitation ' container for it I would. That way nothing could touch it. LOL
Banner All DAY!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your compliments and congratulations on your Noe 29! I haven't had the coin graded yet but a representative of one of the major auction houses contacted me after seeing a post of my find. He said it would likely grade either Extremely Fine or About Uncirculated (details). I haven't touched mine and have left the dirt on it for now (other than a spray of water in the field). I'm afraid to touch it!

This I can well understand my friend. I used a super soft mascara brush on mine with the light lemon juice. Mine did t look quite as nice out of the ground as yours. It was a much easier de idiom knowing that I'd never be able to sell it and would always ha e it in my collection. I just can't seem to part with anything I dig. Means too much to me. Best of luck to you in whatever de takin you go with my lucky friend

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! I'm still in shock! As for the hat, I am never without a Clemson hat so I have about six of them in varying states from new to " slightly distressed." When they get a little too ratty to wear to the store then they become digging hats until they fall apart!

I just saw this post , maybe people like me are waiting to come out of "SHOCK" after seeing such a Sweet Coin.

& Hey Donnie B from VA, Love the Hat , I'd now wear that one till it falls apart . 'Lucky Hat'!

I'm not being mean as I look much 'Rougher' when out detecting.
People usually think I'm a Construction worker or Homeless with a Shovel for a Wife.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very much! I hate to use the word "common" on Massachusetts Silver. That just means there are a sufficient number of nice pieces for the collectors out there. It's still a rare find and on top of almost everyone's bucket list, including mine. I dreamed of finding one and never thought I would actually do it someday.

Great coin! May be a more common variety but that's why it's so hard to find a huge money one. You need decent to great condition and extreme rarity, or problematic / so-so condition with super rarity (or if you are incredibly lucky great condition & super rarity) ... and then on top of that it has to be a coin that has a big demand with people who are willing to fight for it. Being one of the more common ones makes it that much easier to keep... of course even a common MASS silver is a 'rare' coin, and a really rare find.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you again! I'm not going to sell the coin but I am also not going to clean it because I am afraid to touch it. I may decide one day to let an expert at one of the coin grading services conserve it but I honestly can't see ever watching it leave on a USPS truck and hoping it makes it back home.

"I'd"Leave it alone ( as a tiny scratch made by me would put my OCD into Overdrive.

If I could make a 'levitation ' container for it I would. That way nothing could touch it. LOL
Banner All DAY!!!!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you again! I'm exactly the same way. I love the history of the coin and could never part with it. I have been reading about the Massachusetts Bay Colony since I found the coin a week ago yesterday.

This I can well understand my friend. I used a super soft mascara brush on mine with the light lemon juice. Mine did t look quite as nice out of the ground as yours. It was a much easier de idiom knowing that I'd never be able to sell it and would always ha e it in my collection. I just can't seem to part with anything I dig. Means too much to me. Best of luck to you in whatever de takin you go with my lucky friend

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a smart man for not cleaning it. NO lemon juice!!!! Or anything. Let a conservator clean it or if it gets slabbed you will get "Upgradable, Improper cleaning." It will ding the value HARD I would rather have "environmental Damage" Than "Improper cleaning" You say its not for sale, but when the newness rubs off there are considerations to be made, like a brand new Bass boat! Or something. Awesome find!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! I guess that I'm very lucky I didn't find this coin when I first started metal detecting 22 years ago. In the old days, I would have rubbed the dirt off with my thumb and then scrubbed it when I got home. I'm older, wiser, and more patient now.

You are a smart man for not cleaning it. NO lemon juice!!!! Or anything. Let a conservator clean it or if it gets slabbed you will get "Upgradable, Improper cleaning." It will ding the value HARD I would rather have "environmental Damage" Than "Improper cleaning" You say its not for sale, but when the newness rubs off there are considerations to be made, like a brand new Bass boat! Or something. Awesome find!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very much! It truly is the find of a lifetime for me. I dreamed of finding one but never really thought it would happen.

Super stellar.

Banner.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I felt I should expand on my statement that I don't post much on TreasureNet. I have always very much liked looking at the "What is it?" forum and have spent many hours looking at the posts. I also have been helped tremendously in the identification of Civil War relics by Cannonball Guy and others on this site. In re-reading my post it sounded like I have not been around when, in fact, I have been a member for three years.

I found this coin with my White's MXT at a colonial cellar hole. I use a Detech 10" x 5" for the most part when hunting cellar holes. I love the target seperation of that coil and detector in sites with heavy iron concentrations. When I dug the plug, the coin was laying in the bottom of the hole. I thought I knew what it was because I could see the wording on the edge. That's when the thoughts started running through my head. Is it a Shilling? Is it something else? British? French? What is it? I let my buddy pick it up out of the hole and he looked at it and said "Pine Tree Shilling!"

This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. View attachment 1462816 View attachment 1462817

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible coin :occasion14: So crisp with a ton of detail. WOW... what a find. Gets my vote to go up top.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I always dreamed of finding one. I also found this iron shoe buckle at the site. Here it is after electrolysis: 19400022_10209377263132153_8282908845028142552_n.jpg

Incredible coin :occasion14: So crisp with a ton of detail. WOW... what a find. Gets my vote to go up top.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I always dreamed of finding one. I also found this iron shoe buckle at the site. Here it is after electrolysis: View attachment 1463987

Looks awesome. Well done on the preservation. I do a lot of iron preservation and iron relics are some of my favorites.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! I just started doing electrolysis this year. I learned by watching YouTube videos and I am slowly getting better. Congrats on your finds at DIV! I have been several times in the past. You did a good job learning the GPX in a hurry.

Looks awesome. Well done on the preservation. I do a lot of iron preservation and iron relics are some of my favorites.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very much! You have had some very awesome (and valuable) finds yourself sir!

That's as good as it gets as far as a coin from the Americas in my opinion- historic and incredibly valuable. Congrats on a dig few will ever recover from the dirt- BANNER!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I admire you guys that take the time to preserve rusty Iron. I have no desire or patience for it. .... I LOVE GOOOOOOLLLLDDD!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions