🥇 BANNER The find of a lifetime! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. 18814336_10209321218691077_6990423850541621481_n.jpg 19105701_10209321219051086_7146193852843806294_n.jpg

Upvote 137
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just started doing electrolysis this year on my iron relics because I just started digging colonial about a year and a half ago. I have been detecting for 22 years but never really found any iron worth preserving until I started digging colonial. Gold is my white whale! I have never found any gold that I got to keep. I have found many gold rings over the years for people who lost them and called me but never a ring that I got to keep!

I admire you guys that take the time to preserve rusty Iron. I have no desire or patience for it. .... I LOVE GOOOOOOLLLLDDD!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started doing electrolysis this year on my iron relics because I just started digging colonial about a year and a half ago. I have been detecting for 22 years but never really found any iron worth preserving until I started digging colonial. Gold is my white whale! I have never found any gold that I got to keep. I have found many gold rings over the years for people who lost them and called me but never a ring that I got to keep!
Last year I pulled 2 rings from the same hole! One yellow gold band and one with Diamonds. Still dream about that one :)

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a screen shot from my video of the Pine Tree Shilling in the hole. My wife bought me a GoPro camera several years ago for Christmas. I got frustrated with the software for editing videos and never used it. This year, I decided to try it again and I am so glad that I started taking the camera with me to record significant finds. I have a cool mount for the GoPro attached to my MXT Pro so the camera is easy to use and carry. This is the exact moment that my blood pressure went through the roof! Pine Tree in the hole!.png

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that beautiful coin! Enjoy for all us southern MD'ers who may never get the chance find find one of those. Definite Bucket lister and Banner find!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! I dug in the South for 20 of my 22 years of metal detecting. It took me 20 years to find my first Large Cent! The first 10 years I dug in coal camps which dated, at the earliest, in the 1880's. Then, I dug in Civil War sites for 10 years. That's where I finally found my first Large Cent. You might just find one in the Shenandoah Valley. Who knows? A guy in England found a very rare variety. Thanks again!

Congrats on that beautiful coin! Enjoy for all us southern MD'ers who may never get the chance find find one of those. Definite Bucket lister and Banner find!:icon_thumright:

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
This coin isn't up on the banner yet ! Whats the point of having a banner if your not going to put one of the most coveted coins to find by hobbyists ??

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin isn't up on the banner yet ! Whats the point of having a banner if your not going to put one of the most coveted coins to find by hobbyists ??
What the heck, this will never do on a find like this. Just checked back at my comment #14 and noticed I was guilty in not giving my banner vote, so now my banner vote is in!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank you and I agree 100% with your comment. This coin is at the very top of many detectorist's bucket list. It was at the top of my list and I always dreamed of finding one but never actually thought I would dig one up. I owe it all to you, my friend. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to find this coin and many other treasures on our digging adventures together. Your friendship is the real treasure.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What the heck, this will never do on a find like this. Just checked back at my comment #14 and noticed I was guilty in not giving my banner vote, so now my banner vote is in!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

That thing has amazing detail..Congrats!

Thank you for all of your kind comments and your banner nominations! Thanks again!

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I can feel the jealousy. I had some guys go into a complete meltdown in one of the Facebook groups because I wouldn't give up the location where I found the coin. I had another guy postulating that someone with a replica coin lost it at a colonial site. That guy also questioned me when I stated that I was contacted by one of the major auction houses within hours of posting the coin on one of the forums. Yeah, I can feel the jealousy!

Ba Ba Ba Banner! Can you feel the jealousy?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I can feel the jealousy. I had some guys go into a complete meltdown in one of the Facebook groups because I wouldn't give up the location where I found the coin. I had another guy postulating that someone with a replica coin lost it at a colonial site. That guy also questioned me when I stated that I was contacted by one of the major auction houses within hours of posting the coin on one of the forums. Yeah, I can feel the jealousy!

People should be motivated by seeing a great find because anyone who puts in the time and effort will one day have their day. I know quite a few guys where I am in the North-East, all have multiple years in, and every single last one of them has had their day... and not a single one of them cries when someone else does. That's because they all earned what they have found and respect the commitment it takes to do well in this hobby.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People should be motivated by seeing a great find because anyone who puts in the time and effort will one day have their day. I know quite a few guys where I am in the North-East, all have multiple years in, and every single last one of them has had their day... and not a single one of them cries when someone else does. That's because they all earned what they have found and respect the commitment it takes to do well in this hobby.

Very good points and well said Iron Patch. It was interesting that the guys going into meltdowns over my coin had very few, if any, finds posted on their personal pages. I hunt with two very good friends on a regular basis. One of those (leddel) you have helped with identification of very significant and valuable finds. It's really fun when we all have a great day together but that doesn't happen often enough. The best part is we are all friends and when one of us has a great day then it's a great day for all of us.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good points and well said Iron Patch. It was interesting that the guys going into meltdowns over my coin had very few, if any, finds posted on their personal pages. I hunt with two very good friends on a regular basis. One of those (leddel) you have helped with identification of very significant and valuable finds. It's really fun when we all have a great day together but that doesn't happen often enough. The best part is we are all friends and when one of us has a great day then it's a great day for all of us.

When I started this hobby at 28 I definitely had some changing to do and if I had hunted with someone who was similar to myself I doubt it would have lasted any amount of time. Fortunately for me the two I was digging holes with were a lot more easy going, with more patience, and they never said a single word for anything that bothered them. Fast forward to today some of the people I've met and hunted with are no longer with us, and who dug what that day doesn't matter a heck of a lot now does it.

The more someone cares about what another person finds the more they should probably examine everything in their own life.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I started this hobby at 28 I definitely had some changing to do and if I had hunted with someone who was similar to myself I doubt it would have lasted any amount of time. Fortunately for me the two I was digging holes with were a lot more easy going, with more patience, and they never said a single word for anything that bothered them. Fast forward to today some of the people I've met and hunted with are no longer with us, and who dug what that day doesn't matter a heck of a lot now does it.

The more someone cares about what another person finds the more they should probably examine everything in their own life.

Friendship with your digging buddies is the real treasure.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I'm still in shock! As for the hat, I am never without a Clemson hat so I have about six of them in varying states from new to " slightly distressed." When they get a little too ratty to wear to the store then they become digging hats until they fall apart!

That's cool "6 of the same one" & Clemson is in my Top 5 College Teams 'GA DOG'S #1. lol'
&
It's not that far away , I crossed the State line Many times & saw them 'Paw Tracks ' painted on the road.

Just scrolling down, wondering why your Coin is not on TOP YET.

Maybe the powers that be are on Vacation.???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny how that works, Id gladly trade some of my Gold Finds for Confederate Buttons , or Certain Plates (from both sides).
As they are all pretty much equal in 'market' Value.

Also funny IMO , I drove 80 miles South to look for a lost Wedding Ring W /Diamonds back in March, this was on a Friday the Lady had lost it on Monday night, both were County LEO, The guy had bought a Wal-Mart Detector.
&
By the time I got there they had torn up a Brier Patch along with much shrubbery , I looked from 1pm til Dark thirty.
I finally had to leave,I told the Husband I don't think it's here. He mentioned something about having company that night it was lost & Thought Hmmmmm?

2 day's later He called me & said they found the ring in her nightstand , Somewhere they had looked 100 times.

Now after that rant , maybe yr coin is on Banner LOL

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy. Crap. And I freaked out when Ahab found his.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw one in far worse condition than yours going for 50,000$!

You must be looking at a rarer variety. I seen two sales for Noe-16 graded at MS62 and sold for 25-30k. His grade and over-all condition is well below that of course, so divide that number by several times to start. Then consider the demand probably isn't too high as there's many known in similar condition being a more common variety, so drop the number again. I don't know what it's worth but would think a few grand, maybe 4 or 5k?, but I'm sure it wouldn't sneak through a grader without being marked cleaned or environmental damage... and have to think that's a little more hurtful when there's competing examples.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions