IRON AGE KNIFE IN NORTH CAROLINA

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this thought is was an iron nail hit with my awesome rock hammer and its razor sharp and three sided. Found an identical example online dates 3-4K years ago. Spainsh Gold boogers came through here and they were known to carry such. only explaination I could could up with. Had alot of gold precipitated to it. Thanks Joe gold7 036.jpg gold7 049.jpg

Upvote 10

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure it's the conclusion I would have come up with. If it's that old & rare, time to take it to an expert.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have a link or photo of the identical iron age relic you found online? Not trying to doubt your find but based on what I am seeing it would be hard to conclude that what you have is an iron age relic. But I'm pulling for you to be right I just need more information.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If that's Iron Age, then I have an entire Iron Age civilization in my area. Now if I could only find a Bronze Age site nearby.....

Good luck

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that's Iron Age, then I have an entire Iron Age civilization in my area. Now if I could only find a Bronze Age site nearby.....

Good luck

Haha, I was just thinking the same! I pull iron chunks from the ground constantly. Not to doubt anybody's finds, but it's easy to come up with a simple conclusion to every piece of junk pulled from the ground. Most of the time, it's just old junk...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i am unaware of an iron age in North America

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
It's so hard your hammer bent when hitting that thing?

*scratches head* ....even bent the wrong way. Unless the other end was used and it's what caused that object to break up like that. Makes me wonder why someone would want to take a hammer to an artifact like that in the first place. (If that's what it is) If i'm translating correctly, I would say that he was mining for gold with that hammer and found the iron after hitting the surrounding rock?

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that's my new stronger than man or stone rock hammer only month old. I'm not that strong but I broke a crow bar too. Think it's the air an humity

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on phone but I have better pics and the pics of other. Just goggle images Iron Age knife. My pic sucks. Believe me it's identi al and was told by an ol timer it was well over 1000 years old. Makes no sense but it is what it is

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told over an inch of corrosion puts it at a minimum of 1000 years. What doesn't make sense is finding it hear but the Spanish had them and came thru here twice

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had a multi dimensional mind you would understand the pic doesn't show the triangular shaft. Also I'm bright enough to dismiss ignorant conclusions I am a member of Mensa You would just have to have in your hand. Pics suck on items as such, save some rocks

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told over an inch of corrosion puts it at a minimum of 1000 years. What doesn't make sense is finding it hear but the Spanish had them and came thru here twice
Sorry calling crap on that assumption.
Corrosion of iron varies over time based on many variables, there is no 1 measurement, even if you did an average of every combination it wouldn't be that much. Found loads of iron thats 2000 years old & its not anywhere close to a quarter of that figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread