Silvers, relics, and my first time in the 1600's!!

RebelYeller

May 6, 2014
Toano, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,
Tesoro Tejon,
White's VX3,
White's TRX,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
XP Deus, XP Deus 2, XP MI-6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I've had a pre-civil war permission near my home for a long time and have hit it here and there over the years with limited success. All that changed this week! There is an old home site (which is on a few CW maps that I have found) on the property that dates back, from what I've been told, to the 1700's. Unfortunately, the home site was taken over in the past 50 years by a large patch of bamboo.. I've attempted to traverse it several times, but swinging a detector in there is dang near impossible. The rest of the property is mostly crop fields and a little bit of woods. I have always tried to get into the fields, but the farmer that leases the land, keeps it growing almost year round. This last week, he said he was going to let it rest for a few weeks after he plows, so that was my chance. I went into the fields twice this week with my favorite digging partner, my son, and boy am I glad I did!

Saturday, I started out by noticing that there is unbelievably little to no modern trash in the field, so if you hear something, it's probably good. My first couple good finds were the usual CW area relics, a round ball, mini-ball, and a few other personal relics (lead soldier, heart pendant, etc). Then it happens, out pops the most beautiful 1700's Asian "Tiger Bell".(At that point I thought it was a crotal bell.) I cleaned it up and it even rings! :heart: I am in love! At that point I am over the moon and didn't care if I found another thing that day, but I did! Not 15 minutes later, six inches down, I see the gleam of silver and out pops a 1799 half Reale! My first 1700's coin, and first Spanish Reale!! :headbang:

Flash forward to yesterday, I went to a new part of the field. This section was closer to the home site, and a lot trashier. I found lots of the usual homesite junk (wire, tin, etc.) but mixed in with that was treasure! I found one flat button, and a small decorative broach. Then I get a quiet squeak with a VDI of 79-80. I dig about 6 inches down and recheck the hole. Much louder tone now, an VDI showing high 80s. 6 inches more and now into a sandy layer, and out comes a gorgeous 1925 peace dollar! Amazing!

It was getting late, and my son was getting tired so we decided to head back to the truck. On the way out I get a mid 70's signal, and find my first peice of the 1600's, an awesome trapezoidal buckle! After a small amount of research I discovered that an example of the same buckle was found at Jamestown settlement, in Williamsburg, Va. which I live about 20 minuets from!

Overall an absolutely Amazing week!! Thanks for reading!
IMG_20170604_071909_555.jpg 2017-06-05 08.20.38.jpg 19225191_10155405401791779_6232449406966467016_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 32

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Spur Buckle is one of the more frequent types I see posted by your side of the pond. Nice to clearly break into the 17th C with a complete one.

Various types
The bell looks like a type A. Not sure how to date them though because they still use very primitive casting techniques to this very day. I've never found one, & I have tons of bells. Good find.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I loved reading your description of your hunt! Your excitement comes through loud and clear. Congratulations on some really spectacular finds!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! Congratulations! Love the bell!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantabulous finds,, I can name numerous bucket listers. That is an amazing site that you are working.
Congrats on all your finds.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Various types
The bell looks like a type A. Not sure how to date them though because they still use very primitive casting techniques to this very day. I've never found one, & I have tons of bells. Good find.

Good read. Thanks for that, makes things clear and something learned again!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great hunt
Congrats

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice finds.

That tiger bell is new to me, and I like it!

Very well done sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread