Cut-Out lady liberty copper 1 cent braided hair

DIG ADK MTN

Jun 17, 2017
Vernon Center, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just found this a few hours ago. It was about 8 inches deep and a few yards away from 2 Spanish silver reales. I live in upstate NY not far from Gerrit Smith and the Underground Railroad. I believe it is a bust of a 1 cent braided hair that was "cut-out" of the coin, just my speculation. I tried doing some research but didn't really find anything on this other than slave coins. I really don't know much about it and can't get much detail off the bust!

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 13

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very interesting ! Any chance you can get some cleaned up shots of the edges ? I'm a jeweler and typically that sort of cut out would make use of a drill bit and a " piercing saw " . I'm curious to know if saw marks are discernable ? At 8 inches down it's easy to think that this is 100 years old ( but maybe not)

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That gal certainly does look familiar. It would have been a pretty intense job cutting that out of a coin back in the day. It's definitely possible though. Way cool find for sure.

OP
OP
D

DIG ADK MTN

Jun 17, 2017
Vernon Center, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will work on getting a better close up using a different camera with macro. Thanks!

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Google: "Copperheads Political Party" These were Northern Democrats that were against war with the Confederate Southern States. I have read that they cut the Liberty Head out of large cents to make pins to show party affiliation.
Someone did a nice job on this one, and it is a great find. Thanks for sharing!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always gotta look at the "junk"_____________________
sometimes it ain't JUNK :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google: "Copperheads Political Party" These were Northern Democrats that were against war with the Confederate Southern States. I have read that they cut the Liberty Head out of large cents to make pins to show party affiliation.

someone else on the forum found one a year or two ago and posted it, and the consensus was the same. Very cool little piece of history and a great save!

OP
OP
D

DIG ADK MTN

Jun 17, 2017
Vernon Center, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you so much! This is the best part of metal detecting for me. I love doing research and finding out the details and the history. I have spent the better part of my evening reading and studying this movement that took place during the civil war and just thoroughly enjoy doing it. It's people like you and the forum that I need to thank. I have been involved with unique antiques and relics for the better part of my life and I will be sure to share my knowledge.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting.

Over here we get various heads cut out of various coins & I've never found out why. I just thought it was like a form of trench art, some bored soldier. None of the ones I have seen show any signs of attachments, so it did seem kind of pointless.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

Over here we get various heads cut out of various coins & I've never found out why. I just thought it was like a form of trench art, some bored soldier. None of the ones I have seen show any signs of attachments, so it did seem kind of pointless.

We're Americans mate. We invented doing pointless and nonsensical stuff.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread