SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got our for 2 hunts on Father's Day and had a great day. 1st hunt was on a family farm south of Charleston that gave up a pulled 3 ringer then headed home and got the kayak out and headed up the cooper river to a few sites that I had found a few months back. Only made it to the first site but I'm not complaining. Wasn't sure on the age other than it was noted in a book along the river in 1852 but after today I'll be going back soon. On the 3rd hole I popped out what I thought was a large cent then moved on since it was to corroded to ID then hit another signal a few feet away and out popped what looked to be a worn 1/2 Reale. I stayed another hour but nothing else popped out. I paddled home happy and after dinner I looked at the coins. The 1/2 is a 1740 and I was amazed but then the shock. I started cleaning the large cent and noticed it looked different. I was able to pull 2 things..Dulci and 1722. I stopped and looked it up. It's a KG1 Rosa Americana. I had never heard of it until today. Holding off on any further cleaning until I can figure out how to clean without doing any damage. Open to ideas but this coin is rare apparently. Still in shock but woohoo. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 29

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a Fathers Day you will never forget. No help on the coin from here but a Big-O-Conrats to you Mister.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your trip up the creek paid off. Good on you mate. No coin expert here but, there are a few on T-net so hopefully some will check your post. Well done.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty awesome finds, congrats

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure looks like a Rosa. Very nice. What's the back of the coin look like?

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice find on the Rosa. I got a couple of them and they are a bugger to clean. I recall reading that due to mistakes in the minting process (to much heat generated) it caused the metal to have that pimply look after a couple hundred years in the ground. I've seen some guys use electrolysis to clean their Rosas and they came out ok, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. But with yours, seeing that you already have some shiny copper from cleaning it, maybe that's an option. That's a cool find. And finding that Spanish silver just a couple of feet away, makes that a pretty cool pocket drop recovery.

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the comments. The front of the KG1 Rosa is worse than the back. Looking at the options for cleaning it but being super cautious due to the rarety and potential value. Planning a trip back to the site next week to continue to grid out the site and see what else is out there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Updated pictures. Put the KG Rosa thru electrolysis today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! You did a GREAT job on that Rosa! I have a couple of slick coins with nothing to lose so I am going to try some electrolysis on them tomorrow. So far, I have only done iron relics. Do you have any tips for doing coins?

OP
OP
S

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started out by doing short intervals. 3 to 5 minutes then using my fingernail to lightly go over it. You have to rinse off the solution after each time in the bath because of the reaction of the chemicals to oxygen . The coin will actually heat up and that's not good for the copper.This is the 2nd large copper I've done this process and pleased with the results.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that electrolysis clean that sucker up nice, killer finds

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
its spelled either way - people are always correcting me when I use reale
I would rather use reale because when ive used real - newbies will think I mean real as in not fake
ive seen museums use reale as in 1 reale - plural being reales
https://www.google.com/search?q=spa...yjNHUAhVL_4MKHY08ARIQsAQIxAE&biw=1280&bih=833

Haha, that's a funny point to bring up. To add to the mix, I was told "reale" only applies to 1/2 reale. Denominations of 1 or more are referred to as "real". Dunno which one is right, so I just defer, and the go find the actual coins. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread