This Weekend's Finds from Old Properties in Upstate NY

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Victorian-era(?) sash buckle, an unknown buckle, six wheats, a merc, my FIRST EVER buffalo nickel(!) and a really cool bale seal that says 'salt' on it.

Oh yeah, and a toasted Tootsie-Toy.

upstate-hunt.jpg

Upvote 24

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ornate buckle is EYE CANDY!:o I would love to see it meticulously and carefully cleaned up leaving as much of that sweet green patina on it as possible. I just love that kind of relic. Congrats on your first Buffalo nickel. Love them Buffalos. Probably my second favorite coin design behind Indians. A merc, wheats, Military Jeep Tootsie Toy, and another cool brass buckle is a very nice hunt in my book. Shakakka Rocka!:headbang:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Congrats on checking one off the bucket list!

-- Jeff --

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merc, Buffalo, wheaties, old buckles AND a Tootsie?! Very well rounded hunt! A little bit of each...congrats on a great day...Ddf

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ornate buckle is EYE CANDY!:o I would love to see it meticulously and carefully cleaned up leaving as much of that sweet green patina on it as possible. I just love that kind of relic. Congrats on your first Buffalo nickel. Love them Buffalos. Probably my second favorite coin design behind Indians. A merc, wheats, Military Jeep Tootsie Toy, and another cool brass buckle is a very nice hunt in my book. Shakakka Rocka!:headbang:

Thanks! Here it is after I did some toothpicking last night:

cleaned.jpg

Anything else I can do to it, or is that it? Rub a little Renaissance wax on it and call it done? I don't have much experience with relics, to be honest.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!! Where abouts in NY are you hunting? (Just curious!)

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Shak, where are you in upstate

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually live on Long Island. I was up in Durham, at the Blackthorne Resort. They have a Lost Treasure Hunt weekend there, which is awesome. 60+ detectorists. A few seeded hunts (including one they do in the dark with headlamps!) plus they take you out on some natural hunts too. Most of these finds I got from doorknocking, something that's new to me.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome and beautiful buckle! congrats on the Buff find, now you have broken the ice

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome buckle.
Keep em coming