Bucket List Seated surprise, Old coke bottles, SC Disp. Bottles, Buttons and More!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This random free style permission is starting to amaze me. As you saw in my last posts I've been digging a lot of bottles from a bottle pit. Its not a privy because it looks like there is nothing under a clay layer at around 2 and a half feet deep. I might need a probe just to make sure. This post is a wrap up of my last couple hunts out there in the brutal heat.

Couple Wrap up shots of the finds.
IMG_4794.jpg IMG_4795.jpg

I dug my 5th SC Dispensary Bottle and this one is the best yet. Cleaned up with with no chips and is pretty clear.
B36C5CAC-487B-4EB6-B09C-7D7ADC233CF0.jpg

Then I dug an awesome Coca Cola Bottling Co Charleston, SC bottle! Now I haven't any examples of this one anywhere and my knowledge of it is minimum. Someone said it might be 1900-1905. Any help on it would be great. The other Coke bottle was another 1906 version, i think.
IMG_4770.jpg IMG_4772.jpg IMG_4775.jpg

I dug another bucket lister. I was getting a very broken 32-33 signal on the Safari. The only reason I was able to hear it was because my speaker on the detector went out and I to dig with headphones in. Might have to wear them every time now. When i popped the plug i could see a tiny round piece of silver and I knew it was half dime! Ended up being my first Seated Half Dime, 1853 and this time its not a counterfeit (if anyone remembers my 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime which i'm 99% sure is a contemporary fake, still cool but heartbreaker.) If it wasn't holed that would have been even more evidence of pre 1880's occupancy of the site.
IMG_4783.jpg IMG_4798.jpg IMG_4799.jpg

I dug the third CW relic from this site (J-hook, 3 Ringer) and it is my first Confederate SC Cuff. I've only dug 23mm SC buttons but this one is coming in around 19mm. Having a hard time making out the backmark but i think i see a VIL indicating Scovill but not 100% sure. Little smushed unfortunately but i'll take it.
IMG_4735.jpg IMG_4801.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg

Dug a whole mess of wheats and got one IHP 1906.
IMG_4797.jpg IMG_4803.jpg

Now we get to some of the other relics.
Fancy metal thing that i dug in the bottom of the bottle dump...no idea what it is but i think this clip goes with it.
IMG_4804.jpg

A watch fob from Harrisburg, PA not sure how old that is. Three little buttons that were all dug in the pit. Really need to sift that bottle dump..maybe i'll wait for VMI. Make him do some of the hard work too.
IMG_4796.jpg

A little garter clasp, A small marine button with a screw shank my guess is post cw/ pre ww1. Feel free to help on that one. Then a 4 hole, i think aluminum, button. and a little gold plated cufflink.
IMG_4805.jpg

Dug a toe tap, little buckle, little dainty broach, and a large lead thing. Need help on this one for sure..looks like ivy on a gate or something but i have no idea what this would have been.
IMG_4806.jpg IMG_4809.jpg IMG_4807.jpg IMG_4808.jpg

Dug a pocket watch piece. A two piece button that i can't make out. Guessing post cw. A tag for a Effanbee Doll which dates to the early 1900's. And a odd button with a patent date of Feb. 7, 1888. Was actually able to find that patent online here https://www.google.com/patents/US377446
IMG_4810.jpg IMG_4811.jpg IMG_4812.jpg

A few more pieces of Harmonica reed. A little clasp (not sure). Copper ring. The thing in the bottom left of the pic im not sure on. Its almost like a lead token. Cant make out whats on it. And an odd little piece of brass. You can see 2 on it and left of the 2 looks like it could have been a 3. Not sure what that would have been...any guesses?
IMG_4814.jpg IMG_4815.jpg

Thanks for reading...sorry if these get a little long. I attempted another video which i'll either edit into this post here or put it in a comment. Good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 34

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got yourself a whole lot of great finds there- Love the seated- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang ! Where's the kitchen sink ? You dug everything else . Could you help me understand your comment about the hole in the coin having something to do with the dating of the occupancy of the property - I didn't understand the connection there.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt man :occasion14: Sounds like there was a lot more surprises in that pit. Congrats on your half dime and that SC button.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the things that show how those people lived.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang ! Where's the kitchen sink ? You dug everything else . Could you help me understand your comment about the hole in the coin having something to do with the dating of the occupancy of the property - I didn't understand the connection there.

Well I'm trying to date this site as far as when the house I know was here was built. It was there in 1919 for sure and somewhere in the 30s it was gone. Since I've found 3 cw relics that's a sign that there was troop movement in the area for sure but not enough to say that there were a lot of them and they stayed awhile or that there was a house here that they stayed in. Being holed indicates, to me, that this coin was being worn by someone maybe living around the time that most of the relics are dating to. If it wasn't holed, my theory goes, that it might have been dropped closer to that 1853 timeframe. If that makes sense. That's my theory at least.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you are having fun and working hard. The Seated and other items are a huge payoff. Congrats!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt man :occasion14: Sounds like there was a lot more surprises in that pit. Congrats on your half dime and that SC button.

Thank yah sir! I was wondering where all the silver coins were. Finally found one!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds i found a botlle dump last year in the woods most were little bottles with liquud of some kind i think chemicals i didnt dig it out though but l like your bottle finds great display stuff thanks for sharing em

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great site, with a little of everything. Awesome sc button, would like to get my coil over one. Congrats on the seated. I've heard that some people holed their coins to carry on a string or wire to help from losing them as with extra buttons. Have seen both found that way so pretty sure it's true. So coin could be from then, would of been wore down good after 10 years of use by the war. HH!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow-You really have a great site to hunt. Congrats on another dispensary bottle, and that Coke bottle looks really early; probably highly collectable. Nice relics and half dime too. Are you sifting the trash dump?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow-You really have a great site to hunt. Congrats on another dispensary bottle, and that Coke bottle looks really early; probably highly collectable. Nice relics and half dime too. Are you sifting the trash dump?

I was thinking the same thing about that coke bottle! I know some of those early ones are sought after by the people that collect them.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah i'm hearing that the chs coke bottle is pretty sought after. Im gonna hang on to it to though. Looks good with my other Charleston stuff. And no i'm not. Jon has the sifter and he's still deployed. I want to though. Thanks for commenting DnD

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing about that coke bottle! I know some of those early ones are sought after by the people that collect them.

Yeah i wish i could have a link or something that has the history of the bottle. So far I've got nothing to go on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread