Fleur-de-lis Rosette, Gilt Infantry Overcoat, Flat Iron Trivet, and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been a very slow year for me detecting and it had been about 5 weeks since I last went detecting. But, I was able to get out for a bit last week totaling about 16 hours in the field. It was HOT and slow going with lots of bugs! However, I did end up with some really cool items, my favorites being an interesting Fleur-de-lis and crown lead rosette, and a huge infantry overcoat button with a lot of gilt left. I also got a complete iron shoe buckle frame and an interesting (very small) flat iron trivet (stand).

The non-ferrous: (shoe buckle and trivet included)

IMG_20170619_184139.jpg

The ferrous:

IMG_20170619_192744.jpg

I'm calling this a rosette because it has 3 loops on the back where it looks like it was sewn onto something. I believe its lead based on its patina and weight, but it has some flaking so I suppose it could be a pewter alloy with a higher lead content? It has a Fleur-de-lis with 4 stars (*edit: not stars, but 4 smaller Fleur de lis) and a crown on top. I'm open to input on what it might be or what it might mean.

IMG_20170619_201152.jpg

This is my first overcoat button and my nicest CW era button. It has a lot of gilt left and cleaned up nicely. The backmark is "D. EVANS & CO. *ATTLEBORO MASS*"

IMG_20170619_201305.jpg

I've dug a few iron frame fragments and iron chapes and tongues... I've preserved complete iron shoe buckles for friends, but I hadnt found a complete iron frame myself. So I was pretty pleased to get this one. It's solid and preserved very nice.

IMG_20170616_171109.jpg

This flat iron trivet was something I didn't even know existed. Its tiny and apparently a stand for a very small flat iron. It crossed my mind when I pulled it from the dirt, that it looked like a flat iron associated item, but I figured it was way too small. Thanks to my friend Ahab8 for the proper ID of it and to my friend Bill D. for the proper (trivet) terminology. Love digging things I didn't know existed and learning about them.

IMG_20170616_171132.jpg

Would love some more info on this all iron hammer with a chisel end. There is a similar one on the Crouch book, in the artillery section, however I believe this one was just used around the house. Maybe a mason hammer, farrier hammer or blacksmith hammer... or just a tack hammer! Anyway I thought it was really cool and preserved nicely.

IMG_20170619_175717.jpg

You guys can laugh at me for this, but I did glue this horrendous rattail spoon back together... had it not had a sweet rattail on it, I would have chucked these pewter bits into the junk pile. It came out of the dirt in 3 pieces. I wanted to practice putting it back together for my next-awesome-yet-to-be-dug pewter item that needs assembly :laughing7: So I coated them in Elmers, tacked them with super glue, and filled in the cracks with epoxy. Happy with that technique.

IMG_20170619_082250.jpg

Hand forged felling axe, with a stamp of "Cannon" on the head. My friend Z.K. sent me the book "American Axes" that has a list of makers. Unfortunately I don't see a maker listed for "Cannon". Complete axe heads are some of my favorite iron relics to preserve.

IMG_20170616_171224.jpg

Cool mortise lock with a copper or brass lock plate. I like preserving mixed material items, but I've yet to find a material to keep the copper or brass from being exposed to electrolysis, so I can retain its patina. I tried Vaseline on this one, but the heat in the electrolyte melted it away in an hour! I've tried wax and tape in the past... I'll think of something else to try next time.

IMG_20170616_171154.jpg

Hand forged fireplace shovel :headbang: I wish it was complete... but this is a household item I would consider more personal, since it had a use in daily life. The bracket is hand forged and riveted. Neat piece and preserved nicely.

IMG_20170616_171208.jpg

In the non-ferrous group shot there is a small, round tin. When I shook it, I sounded like fluid was inside. I had been wondering what was in there for the last 5 days, but I wanted to finish electrolysis and take my pictures for this post, before I destroyed it! So after photos yesterday, I carefully opened it... no gold coins and diamonds in there... just nasty water. BUT there was a surprise, because the tin was lettered. It says "Silver Gem -One Cent- Chewing Gum" and I added a non-dug online example.

IMG_20170619_184325.jpg

Close up's of the non-ferrous

IMG_20170619_184152.jpg IMG_20170619_184254.jpg
IMG_20170619_184201.jpg IMG_20170619_184208.jpg
IMG_20170619_184217.jpg IMG_20170619_184222.jpg
IMG_20170619_184239.jpg IMG_20170619_184246.jpg

... And the trash and iron. There is a 3 foot, 6 inch strap hinge at the top with a clinched rose head and hand forged nuts and bolts.

IMG_20170616_165957.jpg

Thank for looking and happy hunting everyone. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 37

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The amount of way cool and interesting finds in your post would keep me very content if stretched out over the next two or three seasons. Un believable haul of top shelf goodies. Well done coming out of moth balls for this huge score.:headbang:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves on the button, hammer and trivet. The watch winders had a steel end on them for strength as the soft or hardened brass would wear out sooner. The one flat piece is a trivet also I believe as the three knobs would keep it raised off the surface.
I look at your iron and I feel so bloody guilty of all the iron in containers thats for future processing when time will allow.
Really enjoyed the post, had the aching legs up on the desk and read through the replies. Another great post, and preservation show of some history.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Your restoration skills are very impressive. The iron looks amazing. Congrats on the I button, those overcoats are awesome and usually heavily gilted. That one is a stunner. Also love the watch key, one of my favorite things to find. Slow season....you totally redeemed yourself.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like you have an old hammer head in your trash pile. It could be an old forged piece, I would clean it rather than chuck it.

Thanks a ton villagenut :occasion14:

NICE Catch on the hammer! I was really excited about that hammer head when I dug it. I zapped it with the rest of the items, however it looked more modern, so I didn't include it in the post. I would guess 1900's perhaps? There is a makers mark stamped in it (circled in red, bottom left picture) that looks like "??MB" It had a wood handle and a iron wedge.

IMG_20170616_171601.jpg

Here it is next to one I found last year that I believe is forged and older... 1800's maybe. The head is skinnier and round, and the claws have much more of an angle to them.

IMG_20170622_070839.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The amount of way cool and interesting finds in your post would keep me very content if stretched out over the next two or three seasons. Un believable haul of top shelf goodies. Well done coming out of moth balls for this huge score.:headbang:

Thank you Kurios1, I really appreciate it! Felt great to get back out there.

Nice saves on the button, hammer and trivet. The watch winders had a steel end on them for strength as the soft or hardened brass would wear out sooner. The one flat piece is a trivet also I believe as the three knobs would keep it raised off the surface.
I look at your iron and I feel so bloody guilty of all the iron in containers thats for future processing when time will allow.
Really enjoyed the post, had the aching legs up on the desk and read through the replies. Another great post, and preservation show of some history.

Thanks a ton for that winder info man. I had posted a picture a couple pages back with my theory on an iron tip. Great to hear that is the case. I'm tripping over boxes and 5 gallon buckets of iron with Sharpe scribble of site names, in my garage. :laughing7: Most of the "good" stuff I processed already, but there is still a ton (possibly literally haha) of iron left. It'll probably get scrapped\recycled after another sorting. Then there's the boxes of processed iron that I don't have room to display. So don't feel guilty, it'll be waiting for you when you're ready... and even though I preserve a lot, I'm still drowning in iron.

Your restoration skills are very impressive. The iron looks amazing. Congrats on the I button, those overcoats are awesome and usually heavily gilted. That one is a stunner. Also love the watch key, one of my favorite things to find. Slow season....you totally redeemed yourself.

Thanks a ton man :occasion14: My "slow season" is relative to the last few years where I was able to get out a ton. ha So its really just "slow" to me when compared to the last years where I was getting out weekly. I'm pretty sure I've replaced, fixed or redone everything at the house that can break now, so hopefully that means I get out more. haha

That button has some weight to it and its ridiculously large compared to the coat and cuff buttons. Its one of my favorites.

IMG_20170622_072846.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything that can be said, already has been, but I just had to jump in to say, that was one outstanding post Outdoor, really.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That hammer head is banner all the way! Looks neo-classical in design

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That hammer head is banner all the way! Looks neo-classical in design

I was thinking it looked more Lowes-hardware-section-classical :laughing7: I was actually fully expecting to see the stamp say "Stanley"

71jwZf3o0uL._SL1500_.jpg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a nice variety of finds! The rosette is a bit different than most I have seen found and posted, good one for sure. Not too many iron trivets dug, and getting one complete is a bonus. I am trying to remember what the signal was for mine but don't remember, I dig almost all targets at homesteads and mine came from homesteads in the woods, not a field. I have three that I found, two identical, but one of them is broken, and than a nice smaller flat sad iron sized trivet. OK, found my post for ten years ago on TNet, so I found mine quite a long time ago! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...rivets-before-after-pics-added-two-irons.html I never did preserve the broken one, so perhaps I will have to go to my junk boxes and find it, I think it was complete except for a foot broken off. That one was I believe identical to the larger of the two in my post. Don

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everything that can be said, already has been, but I just had to jump in to say, that was one outstanding post Outdoor, really.

Thank you sprailroad, I appreciate it!

Congratulations on a nice variety of finds! The rosette is a bit different than most I have seen found and posted, good one for sure. Not too many iron trivets dug, and getting one complete is a bonus. I am trying to remember what the signal was for mine but don't remember, I dig almost all targets at homesteads and mine came from homesteads in the woods, not a field. I have three that I found, two identical, but one of them is broken, and than a nice smaller flat sad iron sized trivet. OK, found my post for ten years ago on TNet, so I found mine quite a long time ago! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...rivets-before-after-pics-added-two-irons.html I never did preserve the broken one, so perhaps I will have to go to my junk boxes and find it, I think it was complete except for a foot broken off. That one was I believe identical to the larger of the two in my post. Don

Thanks a ton Don. WOW... those trivets in your 10yr old post are fantastic. I can't believe I hadn't heard of these things or knew they existed until I dug this one. Those two in your post are in excellent condition too... mine broke a leg and a bit of the loop at the tip, while it was in electrolysis. Like you, I dig most targets... The Deus isn't great with the IDs, and I run mostly in 18khz, which has pros and cons, one con being that its worse at iron IDing. But that just means I dig more, and find interesting bits of iron. haha

Thanks again Don, Brad

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job as usual on the preservation, especially with that trivet. That's a gorgeous piece; one that has so far eluded me.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Again, an awesome rosette! I personally don't recognise the coat of arms or the crown but as Cru said the shape bares a striking resemblance to the French type. I was wondering if it could be part of a family crest as the crown does not seem to be of a royal type. If you want i can try to put the pic at the forum in France as I'm fluent in French. There's a chance people will recognize it over there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, an awesome rosette! I personally don't recognise the coat of arms or the crown but as Cru said the shape bares a striking resemblance to the French type. I was wondering if it could be part of a family crest as the crown does not seem to be of a royal type. If you want i can try to put the pic at the forum in France as I'm fluent in French. There's a chance people will recognize it over there.

Thanks a ton once again Aureus! If its not too much trouble, that would be awesome if you posted it on a French site. :icon_thumright: I'd be very interested in hearing their thoughts on it. If its a family crest, I'm sure it would be a dead end, but if not and someone recognizes the symbol, perhaps it will help date it to a more specific period.

Thank you again Aureus :occasion14:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job as usual on the preservation, especially with that trivet. That's a gorgeous piece; one that has so far eluded me.

Thanks a ton Bill! And thank you for teaching me the proper term for the "trivet". I was calling it a "flat iron stand" and had no idea there was a proper term for it. ha Its always great to learn about new relics and find something I didn't even know was a thing. ha

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man... That one is NICE! You're right, its totally up my alley. Definitely post your collar iron on this thread when you get a chance.

I found this last week too, but at a more modern spot. It's much bigger than the cast one. Do you think this is a trivet as well? Its not forged or cast, but rather stamped from sheet... so I think its probably late 1800's or 1900's... cant be any older than that. This I wont preserve.

Sorry Brad, I keep forgetting to get a picture and dimensions for my collar iron.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad, sorry it took so long to get this up, but here is the collar iron I found, or what's left of it. When I found it, there was a conglomeration of iron in the open area. I gave it to a friend to clean and he was tapping it with a hammer and apparently it all fell out. Anyway it measures 3.5 x 1.75 inches

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_201550109.jpg
    IMG_20170623_201550109.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, sorry it took so long to get this up, but here is the collar iron I found, or what's left of it. When I found it, there was a conglomeration of iron in the open area. I gave it to a friend to clean and he was tapping it with a hammer and apparently it all fell out. Anyway it measures 3.5 x 1.75 inches

That's a nice one Steve. :icon_thumright: I've only found a couple irons, but they are some of my favorite relics to dig.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved reading this post -- what GREAT stuff! Congrats and thanks for sharing. ~Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread