Fleur-de-lis Rosette, Gilt Infantry Overcoat, Flat Iron Trivet, and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its been a very slow year for me detecting and it had been about 5 weeks since I last went detecting. But, I was able to get out for a bit last week totaling about 16 hours in the field. It was HOT and slow going with lots of bugs! However, I did end up with some really cool items, my favorites being an interesting Fleur-de-lis and crown lead rosette, and a huge infantry overcoat button with a lot of gilt left. I also got a complete iron shoe buckle frame and an interesting (very small) flat iron trivet (stand).

The non-ferrous: (shoe buckle and trivet included)

IMG_20170619_184139.jpg

The ferrous:

IMG_20170619_192744.jpg

I'm calling this a rosette because it has 3 loops on the back where it looks like it was sewn onto something. I believe its lead based on its patina and weight, but it has some flaking so I suppose it could be a pewter alloy with a higher lead content? It has a Fleur-de-lis with 4 stars (*edit: not stars, but 4 smaller Fleur de lis) and a crown on top. I'm open to input on what it might be or what it might mean.

IMG_20170619_201152.jpg

This is my first overcoat button and my nicest CW era button. It has a lot of gilt left and cleaned up nicely. The backmark is "D. EVANS & CO. *ATTLEBORO MASS*"

IMG_20170619_201305.jpg

I've dug a few iron frame fragments and iron chapes and tongues... I've preserved complete iron shoe buckles for friends, but I hadnt found a complete iron frame myself. So I was pretty pleased to get this one. It's solid and preserved very nice.

IMG_20170616_171109.jpg

This flat iron trivet was something I didn't even know existed. Its tiny and apparently a stand for a very small flat iron. It crossed my mind when I pulled it from the dirt, that it looked like a flat iron associated item, but I figured it was way too small. Thanks to my friend Ahab8 for the proper ID of it and to my friend Bill D. for the proper (trivet) terminology. Love digging things I didn't know existed and learning about them.

IMG_20170616_171132.jpg

Would love some more info on this all iron hammer with a chisel end. There is a similar one on the Crouch book, in the artillery section, however I believe this one was just used around the house. Maybe a mason hammer, farrier hammer or blacksmith hammer... or just a tack hammer! Anyway I thought it was really cool and preserved nicely.

IMG_20170619_175717.jpg

You guys can laugh at me for this, but I did glue this horrendous rattail spoon back together... had it not had a sweet rattail on it, I would have chucked these pewter bits into the junk pile. It came out of the dirt in 3 pieces. I wanted to practice putting it back together for my next-awesome-yet-to-be-dug pewter item that needs assembly :laughing7: So I coated them in Elmers, tacked them with super glue, and filled in the cracks with epoxy. Happy with that technique.

IMG_20170619_082250.jpg

Hand forged felling axe, with a stamp of "Cannon" on the head. My friend Z.K. sent me the book "American Axes" that has a list of makers. Unfortunately I don't see a maker listed for "Cannon". Complete axe heads are some of my favorite iron relics to preserve.

IMG_20170616_171224.jpg

Cool mortise lock with a copper or brass lock plate. I like preserving mixed material items, but I've yet to find a material to keep the copper or brass from being exposed to electrolysis, so I can retain its patina. I tried Vaseline on this one, but the heat in the electrolyte melted it away in an hour! I've tried wax and tape in the past... I'll think of something else to try next time.

IMG_20170616_171154.jpg

Hand forged fireplace shovel :headbang: I wish it was complete... but this is a household item I would consider more personal, since it had a use in daily life. The bracket is hand forged and riveted. Neat piece and preserved nicely.

IMG_20170616_171208.jpg

In the non-ferrous group shot there is a small, round tin. When I shook it, I sounded like fluid was inside. I had been wondering what was in there for the last 5 days, but I wanted to finish electrolysis and take my pictures for this post, before I destroyed it! So after photos yesterday, I carefully opened it... no gold coins and diamonds in there... just nasty water. BUT there was a surprise, because the tin was lettered. It says "Silver Gem -One Cent- Chewing Gum" and I added a non-dug online example.

IMG_20170619_184325.jpg

Close up's of the non-ferrous

IMG_20170619_184152.jpg IMG_20170619_184254.jpg
IMG_20170619_184201.jpg IMG_20170619_184208.jpg
IMG_20170619_184217.jpg IMG_20170619_184222.jpg
IMG_20170619_184239.jpg IMG_20170619_184246.jpg

... And the trash and iron. There is a 3 foot, 6 inch strap hinge at the top with a clinched rose head and hand forged nuts and bolts.

IMG_20170616_165957.jpg

Thank for looking and happy hunting everyone. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 37

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice assortment Brad. The trivet is something I hadn't seen before so a great ID by Abe. The iron buckle is absolutely killer - and it looks like you did a great job on it like you did mine. However your buckle seems a bit "beefier" than mine. Great button and rosette too bud. Thanks for taking the time and care on this thoughtful post.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck... looks like you found the whole shop... Looks like a fantastic site full of history oozing from the pores of dirt.

I would call a couple of those items "banners" in my book.

Well done and then some.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your posts are my favorite. :occasion14::notworthy::occasion14:

I'll have to wade into a fuller reply on the objects when I have more time later, but I'm thinking we need to add a new feature to TNET: the merit badge. You get a "Perseverance in Restoration" merit badge for putting together than totally fragged spoon head!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I'll have to wade into a fuller reply on the objects when I have more time later, but I'm thinking we need to add a new feature to TNET: the merit badge. You get a "Perseverance in Restoration" merit badge for putting together than totally fragged spoon head!!

Seriously true. Posts like this are a real treat, and Brad spends a tremendous amount of time restoring and preserving. Posts of this type are under-appreciated imho, and snuffed out by posts featuring silver Rosie's cleaned with Bartenders friend.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what you call a rosette - 18th C.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done as usual sir.

You have a lot of really nice relics. The iron buckle frame is really sweet. I like the watch winder and chape too.

Best of luck to you in the field.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well done as usual sir.

You have a lot of really nice relics. The iron buckle frame is really sweet. I like the watch winder and chape too.

Best of luck to you in the field.

Thanks a ton Tom! I'm glad you brought up that "watch winder". I thought thats what it was too, but it doesnt have a square bit on the bottom where it would wind the movement. Instead it has a tiny hole. Maybe the square bit was iron and inserted in that tiny hole at one point? If not a winder, I have no clue what it is... but looks cast and old.

IMG_20170620_131829.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is what you call a rosette - 18th C.

Sweet! Thanks man :occasion14: I was hoping you'd show up on this post. Great to know its 18th C. and I'm guessing French? I googled some for "Fleur de lis and crown" and found some similar images, but nothing that was the same. Now that I'm writing this, I just picked it back up and its NOT a Fleur de lis with stars around it, but rather 4 smaller Fleur de lis in each corner!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of finds Brad. I suspect the little trivet was for a collar iron. I found one once and I can get you the dimensions and a picture when I get home. I have also found a flat iron trivet. It's a nice iron relic - right up your alley :)

Attachments

• Trivet -1 001.jpg
    Trivet -1 001.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great group of finds Brad. I suspect the little trivet was for a collar iron. I found one once and I can get you the dimensions and a picture when I get home. I have also found a flat iron trivet. It's a nice iron relic - right up your alley :)

Thanks man... That one is NICE! You're right, its totally up my alley. Definitely post your collar iron on this thread when you get a chance.

I found this last week too, but at a more modern spot. It's much bigger than the cast one. Do you think this is a trivet as well? Its not forged or cast, but rather stamped from sheet... so I think its probably late 1800's or 1900's... cant be any older than that. This I wont preserve.

IMG_20170620_133349.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice assortment Brad. The trivet is something I hadn't seen before so a great ID by Abe. The iron buckle is absolutely killer - and it looks like you did a great job on it like you did mine. However your buckle seems a bit "beefier" than mine. Great button and rosette too bud. Thanks for taking the time and care on this thoughtful post.

Seriously true. Posts like this are a real treat, and Brad spends a tremendous amount of time restoring and preserving. Posts of this type are under-appreciated imho, and snuffed out by posts featuring silver Rosie's cleaned with Bartenders friend.

Thank you both very much :occasion14: I really do appreciate to hear when people enjoy the things I put together for tnet.

Ken, I was hoping the "Cannon" axe maker would be in the book you gave me. Makes me wonder if it was an earlier blacksmith or something. The "Cannon" stamp is deep in the iron and not like the lettered marks on other axes I've seen. It's too bad there wasnt a handle with that spoon, otherwise it would have been worth putting back together. ha

Steve, that buckle held up great... trying to remember who else I preserved a shoe buckle for... Abe maybe? I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure this was the third iron buckle frame I've zapped and it was nice to have finally have a complete iron one.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck... looks like you found the whole shop... Looks like a fantastic site full of history oozing from the pores of dirt.

I would call a couple of those items "banners" in my book.

Well done and then some.

Thanks a ton man! I like that rosette more and more and keep finding new things on it. When I first dug it, I didn't see the Fleur de lis, and now I just realized what I thought were stars are actually 4 more Fleur de lis. It's definitely the coolest rosette I've found.

OutdoorAdv, all I can say is "Wow!"

Thanks a ton Tony.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man... That one is NICE! You're right, its totally up my alley. Definitely post your collar iron on this thread when you get a chance.

I found this last week too, but at a more modern spot. It's much bigger than the cast one. Do you think this is a trivet as well? Its not forged or cast, but rather stamped from sheet... so I think its probably late 1800's or 1900's... cant be any older than that. This I wont preserve.

View attachment 1463938
I'm not sure about that one Brad. All the one's I've seen have open work designs. Don in SJ has several nice colonial trivits. Maybe he'll post some pictures of his.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wish that I had ODA Patience.

He does Great work on the Iron & has well put together posts.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish that I had ODA Patience.

He does Great work on the Iron & has well put together posts.

Its more like "ODA OCD" :laughing7: Thanks Dave. I really appreciate it.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome collection of everything, I have a trivet also but not as nice as yours

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a ton Tom! I'm glad you brought up that "watch winder". I thought thats what it was too, but it doesnt have a square bit on the bottom where it would wind the movement. Instead it has a tiny hole. Maybe the square bit was iron and inserted in that tiny hole at one point? If not a winder, I have no clue what it is... but looks cast and old.

View attachment 1463931

I found a similar one yesterday, with the hole in the bottom. My theory is the same as yours Brad-that the inside of the hole is squared and the watch stem is also square.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread