Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old rifle at the Yard Sale this weekend. I know its not a today find but this spot gets the visibility and it is a recent find. Not Sure what it is. It seems to be civil war era and its bore is the size (by eyeball) of a miniball On the sides it says Edward Maynard other side says Mass Arms and has a date on it of 1859.
Anyone have any info? Much appreciated. Don't know if I have a keep or a boat anchor. IMG_6470.JPG IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6472.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6474.JPG

Upvote 36

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score, congratulations!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did ask about more guns! I fell off the turnip cart last week not yesterday :) I bought a VERY heavy long barreled Stevens .25 rimfire It is a single shot lever action (Drop gate?) Unusual and old But I have seen it before. I paid $15 for it

That Stevens sounds like a total steal for $15 too :headbang:

Pretty sure this one is staying here. Unless someones got a decent Bass Boat! (Not sure how it got here, it is a long way from home.)

Being from "CW Central" on the east coast, my west coast (CW era) history is very lacking! If perhaps its spent most of its life on the west coast, then it could have been used at one of the many forts the Union Calvary were stationed at out there. With the 1865 date on the barrel, it could possibly be from the end of the CW era and used for the California Indian Wars that were fought up until the 1880s. That's all speculation... the previous owner could have just been relocated for work to the west coast 10 years ago. :laughing7:

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Stevens sounds like a total steal for $15 too :headbang:

Being from "CW Central" on the east coast, my west coast (CW era) history is very lacking! If perhaps its spent most of its life on the west coast, then it could have been used at one of the many forts the Union Calvary were stationed at out there. With the 1865 date on the barrel, it could possibly be from the end of the CW era and used for the California Indian Wars that were fought up until the 1880s. That's all speculation... the previous owner could have just been relocated for work to the west coast 10 years ago. :laughing7:

OK Here is the "Story" I got on the gun when I bought it. I did not recite the story here because its just that. a reach. SO here goes. The girl that sold me these two guns said they belonged to Richard Henry Dana. He is the founder of a beach town called Dana Point (and wrote a book called "2 Years Before the Mast") which I live about ten minutes from. They said he sailed around the horn in ship service and landed here and founded Dana Point. He was from Mass. or near that eastern area. SO who knows? I hear a million stories and even if the the dates and stars line up there is still no way of proving that this is RHDs gun nor would it really add any provenance, but it may or may not explain how it became a left coast wall hanger.
If anyone has the records with Richard buying this serial number let me know?!!! Har Har Har

PS I will post pics of the Stevens as well

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh And a post script She has Richard henry Danas Gun and she sold it to me for 30 Bucks! too funny the way people think sometimes. and BTW she told me that her mother was a direct descendant of him. (like half the town is :) )

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy Snaps I paid 30 bucks and hoped I wasn't going to kick myself. What do they sell for? Anyone know?

I made an attempt at the wording pics but my light is dim (Like my mind) I will have to get it under some bright light to take better pics. Here are my attempts View attachment 1464078 View attachment 1464079 View attachment 1464080 View attachment 1464081 View attachment 1464082
You thought you might have to kick yourself for spending a massive $30, are you serious. You guys must be used to really cheap stuff.:icon_scratch: I would offer $50 & make his day.

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You thought you might have to kick yourself for spending a massive $30, are you serious. You guys must be used to really cheap stuff.:icon_scratch: I would offer $50 & make his day.
I love guns. Modern ones. I can't tell you how many delusions of grander wall hangers I have spent too much money on in the past. (e.g. Its old it must be worth a fortune.) to find out its barely worth the metal its made from. When I buy I have to triple my money on something at least. 1/3 cost 1/3 marketing 1/3 profit or it does not pan out. So spending $30 bucks I have to see 90.00 in my future. Most old guns Like the stevens I bought are 100.00 guns. (OK Stevens was a great deal too) SO yes I was kicking myself on the 30 bucks, having no idea what it was.
Turns out I did well! Thanks to all on this site. I am so glad I posted pics and asked the question. Other than that the first person with a 90 dollar offer would have received it with out me blinking an eye.

Cheers To All
Randy

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading your 'Sig' line.
It seem's that "little toe" thing works good .
You Dog! lol

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading your 'Sig' line.
It seem's that "little toe" thing works good .
You Dog! lol

That little toe has been trembling for 40 years! Works like a charm :)

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little toe has been trembling for 40 years! Works like a charm :)

I started carrying some silver in my wallet, im still waiting for it to attract cash. :sadsmiley:

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started carrying some silver in my wallet, im still waiting for it to attract cash. :sadsmiley:
Put some faith in it It works! Just attracted me to a CW Gun! I picked up a pile of wire today that was being thrown away. My son just took it down and scrapped it for 384.00!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lock her up before GOV. Moonbeam confiscates that "assault" weapon. pinch yourself____________________is it still there ??????

GOOD, means yer not dreamin' :notworthy: :occasion18: :icon_king: :icon_cheers: mega kick A$$ SCORE

I was thinking the same thing about the Gov. aka Moonbeam coming for his rifle. Ha ha. It certainly is the garage sale find dreams are made of.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the TOP SCORE on your scavenger hunt mate. That beauty of a historic rifle is beyond belief. Can we get a BANNER vote here?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool piece - Maybe can win you a spot on Pawn Stars.

Anyone know the resale value on something like this? Call in the gun expert!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap!!!! That's just amazing! I found gun parts from the 1870's in a friend's basement cleanout, not even in the same galaxy as finding an actual civil war era gun for $30 at a yard sale though! Easily worth a few thousand more than you paid for it! Congratulations on the score of a lifetime! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread