Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old rifle at the Yard Sale this weekend. I know its not a today find but this spot gets the visibility and it is a recent find. Not Sure what it is. It seems to be civil war era and its bore is the size (by eyeball) of a miniball On the sides it says Edward Maynard other side says Mass Arms and has a date on it of 1859.
Anyone have any info? Much appreciated. Don't know if I have a keep or a boat anchor. IMG_6470.JPG IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6472.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6474.JPG

Upvote 36

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I got you beat! I saw a vintage 1980's lamp, with a sign saying "It May Work!", all for the low price of $40! Too bad the guy in front of me got to it first :(.

All the yard sales near me pretty much sell all the garbage that they are too lazy to bring to the dump.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...d-rifles/maynard-carbine.cfm?gun_id=100858340

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy Snaps I paid 30 bucks and hoped I wasn't going to kick myself. What do they sell for? Anyone know?

I made an attempt at the wording pics but my light is dim (Like my mind) I will have to get it under some bright light to take better pics. Here are my attempts View attachment 1464078 View attachment 1464079 View attachment 1464080 View attachment 1464081 View attachment 1464082
I'm going to the next yard sale with you....nicely done, and a GREAT find and purchase.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be, one of the best finds ever!!! Great piece of history you have there!!! Congrats on the wonderful score!!!

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be, one of the best finds ever!!! Great piece of history you have there!!! Congrats on the wonderful score!!!
Thank You Sir! I must admit, it has been sitting beside me for a week now and I am getting tempted to sleep with it! I did take it to Little Johns Guns in town and he was ALL over me to buy it. He went to 1600.00 I told him I was going to keep it for a while. I was given his card with his Cell phone number written on it and I had to promise to sell it to him if it went for sale to be able to leave.

Last edited:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic yard sale find! I would have bought that in a blink of an eye. Congratulations!

Steve

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a boat anchor. It looks like its in really nice shape for its age.

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a boat anchor. It looks like its in really nice shape for its age.
I took it in to little johns gun auctions to show it off to cool hand Luke. He had two brass shells for this Maynard with the original 3 ringers. He gave them to me! Thanks to Cool Hand Luke. Im winning all over with this find!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Bet your glad that you didn't sell for $90.00! Now you have a real keeper and shells to boot! Congrats!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Bet your glad that you didn't sell for $90.00! Now you have a real keeper and shells to boot! Congrats!:icon_thumright:
Something about the twitchy left toe told me to check it out first! I do usually research everything I buy. With all of the CW buffs here, it was my opportunity to post and see if I got any hits. I have added the name Edward Maynard to the file cabinet in my noggin for sure! The shells are incredible. I have never seen the likes of em. They have a very big rim at the bottom and just a small hole, like the power could shake out slowly. Very ingenious early brass shell design. I will try and post some photos of them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang trdking: what a score.
You probably would not accept shopping lists for 10% over your costs ? L.o.l..
Jeepers!
Must be something in the sellers water over there.

Congrats.

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang trdking: what a score.
You probably would not accept shopping lists for 10% over your costs ? L.o.l..
Jeepers!
Must be something in the sellers water over there.

Congrats.
I believe someone already offered to Double My money :) Got a Bass Boat?

For any of you that have not visited Southern California Specifically South Orange County, Let me tell you.... The majority of its residents have lets say, More than their Share? Their idea of holding a yard sale is to quell their conscience about throwing things away. Most have no sense of value what so ever. This is not everyone as there are good people here but as a rule they can't be bothered with researching anything. If something is old, go buy a new one. If something breaks, Go buy a new one. When the garage gets full, have a yard sale, its cheaper than paying someone to haul it off. Then I can go buy something new. It has a tendency of being a cornucopia of treasure finds. I have been at more than one sale where I have asked if I could go through their trash cans. I found an 1800's pocket watch, I have found wallets with credit cards and cash, I have found change purses, with coins, gold and diamond rings, At a sale in LA I found 2/3 of a trash can full of new old stock Model A spark plugs in their original boxes from the 1920's I made over 3750.00 off of that trash can! You can't fix stupid

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You thought you might have to kick yourself for spending a massive $30, are you serious. You guys must be used to really cheap stuff.

Always a borderline negative comment. More of a pot stirrer than a crusader. Haha who you callin "you guys", anyway? :tongue3::occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions