Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old rifle at the Yard Sale this weekend. I know its not a today find but this spot gets the visibility and it is a recent find. Not Sure what it is. It seems to be civil war era and its bore is the size (by eyeball) of a miniball On the sides it says Edward Maynard other side says Mass Arms and has a date on it of 1859.
Anyone have any info? Much appreciated. Don't know if I have a keep or a boat anchor. IMG_6470.JPG IMG_6471.JPG IMG_6472.JPG IMG_6473.JPG IMG_6474.JPG

Upvote 36

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post pictures of both sides of the breech showing the wording.There should also be a serial number on it. It looks like you have a civil war era carbine that was used by both sides.

The Maynard carbine was a breech-loaded carbine used by cavalry in the American Civil War. The First Model was manufactured between 1858 and 1859. About 5,000 were made. In United States service it was distributed to the 9th Pennsylvania and 1st Wisconsin cavalry regiments, United States Marines aboard the USS Saratoga and the United States Revenue Cutter Service. About 3,000 Maynard carbines were in Confederate hands during the war; 5,000 in .35 caliber were purchased by Florida, 650 in .50 by Georgia, and 325 in .50 and 300 in .35 by Mississippi. Around 800 were purchased by militias in South Carolina and Louisiana. The Second Model or Model 1863 was manufactured between 1863 and 1865. Over 20,000 were made. This model lacked the tape primer and stock patchbox, and was used by the 9th and 11th Indiana cavalry regiments and 11th Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Cavalry, among others. The Maynard had a good reputation for long-range accuracy, and Confederate sharpshooters made extensive use of it, especially during the Siege of Charleston.
I

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can we see the stamp on both sides? From the wording you described, it sounds (and looks) like it's possibly a 2nd model Maynard Carbine Maynard 2nd model carbine It's a CW era rifle and a keeper at that. Can I ask what you paid for it at the yard sale? It's the kind of find I dream about coming across. If it is a second model carbine it appears $1.5k to $2k+ roughly in that condition is what the asking prices are on gunsinternational or gunbroker. Not sure what they actually sell for. Regardless, it's not a boat anchor!

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy Snaps I paid 30 bucks and hoped I wasn't going to kick myself. What do they sell for? Anyone know?

I made an attempt at the wording pics but my light is dim (Like my mind) I will have to get it under some bright light to take better pics. Here are my attempts IMG_6475.JPG IMG_6476.JPG IMG_6477.JPG IMG_6478.JPG IMG_6479.JPG

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holy Snaps I paid 30 bucks and hoped I wasn't going to kick myself. What do they sell for? Anyone know?

I made an attempt at the wording pics but my light is dim (Like my mind) I will have to get it under some bright light to take better pics. Here are my attempts View attachment 1464078 View attachment 1464079 View attachment 1464080 View attachment 1464081 View attachment 1464082

For sure looks like a second model Maynard Carbine. The link in my first response has pictures of one. You slaughtered it for $30!!! Even if it was a wall hanger, which it's not, it would have been a deal :occasion14: Go back and ask them if they have anymore of those "old guns" :laughing7: Awesome find man.

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure looks like a second model Maynard Carbine. The link in my first response has pictures of one. You slaughtered it for $30!!! Even if it was a wall hanger, which it's not, it would have been a deal :occasion14: Go back and ask them if they have anymore of those "old guns" :laughing7: Awesome find man.

Some better light pics It does have some stampings in the wood, like initials. Anything Im looking for there? IMG_6480.JPG IMG_6481.JPG IMG_6482.JPG IMG_6483.JPG IMG_6484.JPG IMG_6485.JPG IMG_6486.JPG IMG_6487.JPG

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy Crap! That is one heck of a find! I would be dancing in the street to find a deal like that on a Civil War Maynard Carbine! I may even have some period bullets for it that I dug up at Civil War sites!

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did ask about more guns! I fell off the turnip cart last week not yesterday :) I bought a VERY heavy long barreled Stevens .25 rimfire It is a single shot lever action (Drop gate?) Unusual and old But I have seen it before. I paid $15 for it

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Clean er up and Test Fire it!!!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lock her up before GOV. Moonbeam confiscates that "assault" weapon. pinch yourself____________________is it still there ??????

GOOD, means yer not dreamin' :notworthy: :occasion18: :icon_king: :icon_cheers: mega kick A$$ SCORE

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean er up and Test Fire it!!!

Knock your self out! Ill ship it too you and you can video it! I am amazed by the gap at the rear of the barrel when it is closed. Powder burns on your forearm must have been a dead giveaway that and it does not have a forward stock? Definitely not made with one. That got hot. Its no wonder all of the CW Soldiers were always in Long sleeves. Frickin flash protection!

OP
OP
T

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lock her up before GOV. Moonbeam confiscates that "assault" weapon. pinch yourself____________________is it still there ??????

GOOD, means yer not dreamin' :notworthy: :occasion18: :icon_king: :icon_cheers: mega kick A$$ SCORE

I will gladly ship him to anyone out of state as well. Who wants him? For all of you out of California staters. Come January 1st we are Commanded to had over or destroy any magazine for any weapon over 10 rounds capacity. (yeah right) Moonbeam passed that WITHOUT a vote from the people! Just signed it into law. The boys and I are distributing Facebook and twitter messages for everyone to mail their )Broken and tired) Magazines to the Capitol on the last day of December. We are hoping to hand them a semi truckload of packages!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is way cool of a yard sale score. Awesome is the only word.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats on an incredible and historical find!!! Looking for my Bass Boat now... :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions