First MD Outing - Interesting Rock & Not Sure I'm Doing This Right!

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1711.JPG

Well, today was my first day out after purchasing my MD almost 1 1/2 years ago! I was diagnosed with breast cancer right after I got it and was unable to get out. It's been one of my major recovery goals to get to the beach and start finding the good stuff!

With the help of my 14yro step-daughter as the digger, we hit a spot on Bradenton Beach that gave off a loud clear signal. We (she) dug and dug and still got the signal. Finally this little 'gem' came out of the hole. It's light but very cool to the touch and it does respond to the magnet test I did at home. What could it be and why would it be under the sand?

Also, even after we dug this up the hole continued to give off a loud clear beep. We finally got to the point that the hole was so deep it filled up with water and the sides caved in. I read something about salt water possible distorting the signal. Could this have been the case? I'm not entirely sure I'm actually doing this right even though I did hours and hours of research before venturing out! :BangHead:

Upvote 4

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my salt water beach experience is very limited. But a couple of stories for you.

That piece of metal looks like it has been burned. Even on dry land I find strange pieces like you found. Heck I found one this weekend.

Right after I got my first MD, I visited family in New Port Richey. My Aunt's Husband took me to Fred Howard park. We went to a small island off the park. I got this great signal. I'm taking really strong. I keep digging and digging and digging. Finally I was up to my shoulder and touched an object with my outstretched fingers. I had found a car bumper. Yes, a car bumper in the last place you would expect to find one.

I'm sure folks with more salt water detecting experience will provide more advice.

I know your cancer battle has been tough. I'm thrilled you fought through it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most metal detectors are going to give you what we call "Ghost Signals" when around or in salt water. Salt water is a conductor and can drive you nuts if you're not using a Detector that is designed for salt water use. For salt water beach hunts, I use the Minelab Excalibur.
I used the AT PRO for a few years. It did an excellent job in fresh water. I did recover a few gold rings with it. In salt water, it went nuts and gave off false signal on every swing of the coil.
The PRO is submersible to 10 feet. However, your Bounty Hunter is not. Most coils are water proof but the control box is not. If the control box if your detector ends up getting submersed, it could destroy your machine.
I would suggest that you hunt on dry sand areas only.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats what my dad said too. Any reason why it would be hanging out in about 5-6 inches of sand on the beach?

Could have been blown to the beach during a storm....or about a thousand other reasons. You really can find the unexpected on beaches.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I find coke, made from coal, sets off the metal detector. I wonder if it is a piece of coke?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread