Forgotten,hidden Colorado mining camp some nice finds today

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brother and I got out for our first real trip of the season, we attacked a well hidden mining camp we discovered a few years back that so far consists of 6 foundations and two large mine tunnels . Last time we made some nice finds,a couple of Barber dimes and trinkets . Since our first visit have found out some history on this camp and decided to head back. I fired up the machine and started swinging on an old foundation , got a couple of nails right off the bat third hit was all bell tone but kind of broken , pinpointed a target and out pops a 44 calib cartridge,after a few more finds figured out this cabin had burned, long story short we dug a 2 foot by 2 foot by 6" deep hole and that was it for the day . we found cartridges from 38 55 to 44 S&W , plus I got a silver wedding band and a Smiths bile pills bottle, the brother found two melted pieces,one lead and one possibly silver and , no metal detector needed , he found the Wallace Idaho Havana cigar piece, what does everybody think, is it a token ??? back side is blank would appreciate some input on that. Anyway it was a great day to be alive and in the hills. HH

Attachments

• DSCF2803.JPG
    DSCF2803.JPG
    735.8 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF2804.JPG
    DSCF2804.JPG
    727.1 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF2810.JPG
    DSCF2810.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF2812.JPG
    DSCF2812.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF2813 (2).JPG
    DSCF2813 (2).JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF2816.JPG
    DSCF2816.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 22
OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction, the ring is not silver , it is brass or copper

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Correction, the ring is not silver , it is brass or copper

Could it be gold? You mentioned a fire. Does the copper or brass alloy in a 10k or 14k ring tarnish when in a fire and stuck in
the ground 150 years or so? I learned years ago in the Caribbean that the sea will tarnish gold rings to a dark brown color
if they've been in the sea for many years. I found 8 old rings underwater one day that I thought were brass or copper. Turns out they were
all gold. Maybe one of our fine experienced posters can shed some light on this. Nice finds & best wishes. J.T.G.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what will pop out of that ground. I love places like that! It's been a little to dry and hot around here, I don't know how people handle the flatlands. Great token or advertising piece.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a nice hunt. An old, little known about, spot like that would have me spending a good amount of time there. I think the Cigar Tag was screwed into the small wooden boxes that the cigars were once shipped in. Well done.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a fun hunt!

The token/tag is way cool and I also like the bell in the lower left of 3rd photo.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie--nice token! William Fishinger was a cigar manufacturer in Wallace from before 1900 to after 1934. He was president of the Wallace Cigar Co. at 421 Pine St. in Wallace which also had a retail outlet. St. Regis was the brand of cigar he made. The piece probably is an advertising item he gave out to potential customers who could redeem it for a cigar at his store or perhaps other stores that carried his goods.
John in the Great 208

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello PPC. I got no info on the token but it is over the top. Great condition and even greater content...nice one! Good Luck C9

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
After some reflection and consideration of the "token", I am now of the belief that it is a "Takrays Cigar Box Opener". I have a similar one from a Des Moines cigar company and the telling feature is a beveled edge rather than a straight edge like a coin or token would have. Custom-made for manufacturers, the piece was tacked to the cigar box. It allowed the purchaser or retailer to open the box and destroy the revenue stamp. Here's a description from the website cigarhistory.info.
John

Attachments

• takray.JPG
    takray.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 71

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that you're getting out, freaking love that cigar token/opener.
Never heard or seen something like that.
Now you gotta go dig some whisky jugs!
Carl

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few other items that didn't make it into the pictures yesterday. Nice big horse shoe, old miners chisel, and the bile pills bottle cleaned up,I know the bottle isn't any thing special,I've dug many,but its always nice to find a bottle when you don't expect one 8-) thanks for all the replies and info, I appreciate it ! Soaked the ring a little,still not sure about it,under the grime it has a little bit of a 10k sheen to it but,,,,, going to take it to a jeweler friend and find out.

Attachments

• DSCF2819.JPG
    DSCF2819.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF2823.JPG
    DSCF2823.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF2826.JPG
    DSCF2826.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what will pop out of that ground. I love places like that! It's been a little to dry and hot around here, I don't know how people handle the flatlands. Great token or advertising piece.[/QU
Its true huh,you just never know,I guess that's why were so addicted. We were fairly close to ya and it was hot !

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some reflection and consideration of the "token", I am now of the belief that it is a "Takrays Cigar Box Opener". I have a similar one from a Des Moines cigar company and the telling feature is a beveled edge rather than a straight edge like a coin or token would have. Custom-made for manufacturers, the piece was tacked to the cigar box. It allowed the purchaser or retailer to open the box and destroy the revenue stamp. Here's a description from the website cigarhistory.info.
John

John thank you for all the info,much appreciated !!! I was going to to put it in the tokens thread hoping you would see it .

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that you're getting out, freaking love that cigar token/opener.
Never heard or seen something like that.
Now you gotta go dig some whisky jugs!
Carl

Carl, hope all is well with you ! a jug would be nice it's been a couple of years. I found a few new cabin sites to check out.

DIG ADK MTN

Jun 17, 2017
Vernon Center, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds. Great place to do some sifting. I'm sure this place has many stories to tell, thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions