Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this with my dad right before I left for California. We we're doing the colonial cellar hole where I pulled up a KG II, 1796 Liberty Cap, and Vlack 19-87C Machin Mills Half Penny. Never thought it was even a possibility to find one. I tried doing some research online because I was interested in seeing how many were minted but couldn't find much. If anyone knows - feel free to chime in.

18492343_1289781731134592_1383204979_n.jpg 18470915_1289781504467948_962591919_n.jpg

GL & HH

Upvote 24

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful looking coin; never seen one before!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No clue as to number minted. But they sure made a beauty.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet New York copper. Don't see those every day. :thumbsup:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really awesome copper. I had never heard of them before, so before commenting I read a bit about them here Nova Eborac Coppers: Introduction. Very interesting and like Evolution pointed out above me... a New York copper. :occasion14:

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds. There are no records of mintage on most colonial coins. There are rarity ratings estimating the number of pieces known today for the different varieties.

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds. There are no records of mintage on most colonial coins. There are rarity ratings estimating the number of pieces known today for the different varieties.

And how many would you say still exist of Crosby 1-A?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That little beauty is on my list! Congrats on the NY copper! Awesome [emoji122]

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice copper, and in pretty good condition! Hope you guys have fun in California!

Thank you! Looking forward to getting back on the east coast though...

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And how many would you say still exist of Crosby 1-A?
According to the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American coins between 125 and 249.

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American coins between 125 and 249.

wow...that's kind of nuts...

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this with my dad right before I left for California. We we're doing the colonial cellar hole where I pulled up a KG II, 1796 Liberty Cap, and Vlack 19-87C Machin Mills Half Penny. Never thought it was even a possibility to find one. I tried doing some research online because I was interested in seeing how many were minted but couldn't find much. If anyone knows - feel free to chime in.

View attachment 1464705 View attachment 1464706

GL & HH

Here is some information which may help determine the variety: "All Nova Eborac coppers bear the date 1787. They are found in four varieties made from three obverse and four reverse dies. The four basic types are as follows: Crosby 1-A, medium head with reverse figure facing right; Crosby 1-B, medium head with reverse figure facing left; Crosby 2-C, the large head variety; and Crosby 3-D, the small head variety. Trudgen believes the first variety to be struck was Crosby 3-D, the small head variety (estimated from ten to twelve examples survive). This "small head" (die 3) can be easily identified by the obverse legend which is the only variety to use a six pointed star at either end on the legend (all other varieties use quatrefoils) and is also the only variety to have a star above the bust (all others are blank at the top). This was followed by Crosby 2-C, the large head variety (twenty-five to thirty specimens survive). The "large head" variety (die 2) can be distinguished as the only variety with two quatrefoil designs before "NOVA" in the legend; it is also the only quatrefoil variety that lacks a quatrefoil after NOVA. The next variety, Crosby 1-B, is known as the medium head with reverse facing left (thirty to forty examples with full date and 170-210 examples with partial or weak date). The obverse die 1 can be distinguised in that it has a single quatrefoil before and another after NOVA. This variety with reverse B is distinguished as the only medium head variety with a reverse where the seated figure faces left. The final variety, Crosby 1-A, has the same obverse medium head die as 1-B, however it is the only variety that has a reverse facing right. The only similar right facing Liberty is found on a Connecticut copper, 1786 Miller 1.4-WW. The only other right facing Liberty is the very different styled figure holding the scales of justice as found on the 1785 Immune Columbia, the 1786 Non Vi Virtuti Vici and the 1786-7 coppers with the Immunis Columbia motto. The Nova Eborac Crosby A-1 comes in three die states, early (fifteen to twenty examples), middle (forty to fifty examples) and late (90-120 examples). The first state is without defect, the middle state shows a die break on the obverse starting from the rim at the B in "LIB". The final state occurs when the crack widens into a triangular cud."
Nova Eborac Coppers: Introduction

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic old copper recovery! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread