The tiniest Fur Trade axe I have ever seen.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to check an area where I previously have found some 17 century Native American artefacts. Found this unusual little thing that I at first have mistaken for a rusted chunk of iron. Thankfully recognized the familiar shape. I believe it's a Fur Trade period belt axe. Pretty happy with this find and really glad I have kept it, hopefully it will clean up well.

Thanks for the comments.

Note:One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is the fact that there was a square nail driven into the handle where it connects to the axe head(on top of it). The nail was still in it's place when I found it. I have never seen anything similar but I presume that the nail was to prevent the handle from breaking on impact considering how small and thin was the wooden part. The axe head is less than 4'' long.

DSC_1470.jpg

DSC_1467.jpg

DSC_1469.jpg

Here's a comparison to my previous Trade Axe.

DSC_1471.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 36
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. Always glad when I manage to fund an unusual artifacts. Never seen this particular type of axe like the one you've found, sure looks very old.

That's what so great about digging, one never knows whats going be next, or how old. I dug mine on an island off of Gananoque Ont. Best of luck on the return hunt Aureus.:occasion14:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sure it was for mosquitoes, which were even bigger up there back then. πŸ€“

Seriously though, a great find Anton!! Another one of those objects that I wish could speak...

You're on your way to an incredible display set. Cheers

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely need to go home to Vermont, Cali just isn't for me and I've only lived here 3 weeks. All these finds are making me sure this isn't the right place for me :laughing7:

I totally understand. Vermont has such a long and rich history.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible find! I found an axe head (hatchet probably) that small, but it was probably from the mid to late 1800's. Anything fur trader is cool!

Thank you.
Yes,it is. My favorite period for the finds.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BTW... I do believe YOUR head ... axe head that is... is on that site.

View attachment 1464998

I haven't seen anything that looks similar. Mine has a bit off a different shape. Of course, cleaning it might help ID it a bit better.One thing I forgot to mention in my post is the fact that there was a square nail driven into the handle where it connects to the axe head(on top of it). The nail was still in it's place when I found it. I never seen anything similar but I presume that the nail was to prevent the handle from breaking on impact considering how small and thin was the wooden part. The axe head is less than 4'' long.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what so great about digging, one never knows whats going be next, or how old. I dug mine on an island off of Gananoque Ont. Best of luck on the return hunt Aureus.:occasion14:

Thank you! Same to you. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty sure it was for mosquitoes, which were even bigger up there back then. πŸ€“

Seriously though, a great find Anton!! Another one of those objects that I wish could speak...

You're on your way to an incredible display set. Cheers

Thank you Ken. :icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is killer buddy. I found a nice little trade axe when I first started and unfortunately screwed it up. Valuable lesson learned. Please post pics after your preserve it

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That thing is killer buddy. I found a nice little trade axe when I first started and unfortunately screwed it up. Valuable lesson learned. Please post pics after your preserve it

Thanks man. They are indeed fragile,not sure it will restore well.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neat axe! The nail was likely driven in there as a wedge to keep the handle in place.
I see that often, even on more modern axes & hammers in Sweden.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat axe! The nail was likely driven in there as a wedge to keep the handle in place.
I see that often, even on more modern axes & hammers in Sweden.

Thank you. Yes, that's what I understood as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread