How not to waste time at the beach - and to get some goodies, with gold!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't move, but did get more gold, jewelry and a LOT of money this morning early. I "followed" tropical depression Cindy east to the beach, and the last rain bands ended 15 minutes before I got there - yeah. Went to two usual spots, the beach machine cleaner had just been there overnight, so the regular area wasn't too good.

I have been watching people's videos and I ALWAYS get SOMETHING besides aluminum foil and pull tabs. If you DON"T, here's some tips.

Do not use a pinpointer. Like, why bother? Get a sand scoop with a wire mesh to it that the sand will go through quickly and SCOOP. Use some effort on the first scoop and you may not need to do a 2nd. You'll have the target. Mine has 1/2 inch mesh and is about 6" across the mouth with a 15" handle.

Do not waste 3 minutes trying to figure out with your machine if you should dig it or not. Just dig it. Takes 30 seconds to dig it. You can be on several more targets if you just dig it. The more ground you cover, the more likely you'll get something worth having.

Sand scoops - just go get a real one. You don't need the $100 kind with the 5' handle unless you're going in water more than a foot deep. I do have one of those but for "modern" beaches, that is, the kind people will go to this week, just get a decent one. Forget the garden mini diggers and the toy grain scoops. You're wasting time.

Time is the difference between a good day at the beach and an ok or bummer day at the beach. If you waste time "thinking" through a target on a modern use beach, you've wasted half your day. It really doesn't matter which machine you use. You will dig trash, but I've seen a lot of people "think" if they want to dig a target or not, and as I'm watching I've covered another 20 feet of sand and dug 3 more coins.

And when you find something, ASSUME there are more items very close nearby. Today I had to laugh, I was using my 6" wide mouth steel scoop with the 15" handle and the one scoop full of sand nailed FOUR new quarters and a dime. The second, third and fourth digs got the other 6 coins whoever lost them had kindly left for me. I normally hunt the dry sand, especially at the "towel" line. I have found gold in the wet and dry sand this year, too.

Just dig it.

So...here's today's finds. A LOT of money. SEveral of the cents date to the 1970's but are very recent drops. View attachment 1465249 View attachment 1465250 View attachment 1465251 A stainless cross and da bling! With real diamonds. Like come on, why are you wearing this to the beach? Or maybe a kid "took" it from the jewelry box unknown to the parental unit. Doesn't matter, it's mine now.

Have fun!
IMG_1395.JPG IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG

Upvote 10

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with every word you said. Sigh, I wish I lived near my favorite beach.

Love how you displayed that ruby and diamond ring.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shell I found at an ocean beach. I have found more gold in the last 18 months than in the rest of my entire MD'ing career which goes back, with spells of inactivity to the 1980's.
I think people just have more today. Today's beach was still salt water but on the bay. It's an hour closer to my house. I think the stone is a garnet. It's not the usual ruby color. Diamonds are very, very small, and I don't think the ring itself was very expensive when new. It is stamped 14k. Tomorrow is another beach!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite color stone for a yellow gold ring..Red!Nice save!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal favorite stone is red or orange garnet. Now the stones themselves, unset in jewelry are pretty inexpensive, but this is a nice combination. Was almost on top of the sand.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tips. I tend to hit my local beach at night. It isn't huge and most of the finds tend to be in the same areas. A large portion is seldom used and that saves time too. Unfortunately most of my beach goers are experienced and lose little more than clad.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post on how to get after the goodies and stop messing around between your ears thinking about it. Loving the Gold, Garnet, and Diamond triple wammy you got there mate. Cutely displayed for the forum on that little shell. Oh yeah, trash will come but, so will the goodies if you move out and increase your digging rate. Well done and informative post.

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Smokey! This is great advice and I'm glad I clicked on your post. Can you show some pics of the scoops you use? I think I have them in mind, but just want to be sure. Thank you!

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one more small piece of advice. Don't bother looking at your targets. Keep searching and just put your finds in a pouch. Plenty of time after the hunt is over to see what you were able to dig up. I look at my finds when I am out of the water.

Nice tips and finds Smokey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread