Live rounds, tokens, and lots of gold...

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well... gold colored junk jewelry.

I'm guessing that like most folks here, for me there are no quick stops to just detect for a bit. Every time I go out I end up spending another 8 or 9 hours digging and swinging and digging. I'll skip lunch and forget about dinner, ignore my cell phone and not even think about those real world responsibilities.... which is probably another reason I like this hobby so much. And these long summer days are great to just keep moving. Or take a break and go fishing like I did last week :icon_thumright: I found a great primitive camp site right next to the river. The gate keeper obstacle at the entrance must have kept everyone else out and I ended up having the whole place to myself for a few days. Couldn't have been happier, but next time Im bringing my detector.

20170615_075607.jpg

At this point Ive got a bit more than 80 hours behind me with the detector, and while I have no great finds to share, I still want to share what I do find. But I often don't. I come on the forum to post-up but end up reading everyone else's posts - finds better than mine - and decide no one really needs to see the pile of crusty pennies and dirt packed screw caps I spent all afternoon unearthing... and I know Im not the only one finding these things. Of course, I've yet to travel more than a few miles from my own home to detect, or ask permission to hunt in someones yard. But I'm working towards that, I promise. I've started scouting via satellite, marking places on a map, and doing drive by's to get a visual on the land. Then I stop at the next park or public stretch of land and put my head down and start swinging.

I am finding wheat pennies, which for me is pretty great. I keep hoping if I follow the wheaties they'll lead me to some silver... but it hasn't happened, yet. I find this hard to believe, but tis true. As a long time coin collector this will be a big moment for me. So far I've found about a dozen Wheaties though, and hopefully soon I'll unearth a silver coin. I get excited every time I find a piece of clad, and even though know its clad and can clearly see its tarnished green or brown and red, I still have to check the date to be sure.

20170624_205859.jpg

And I am finding older trash, so I suppose that means Im on the right track... check out this old glue tube.

20170624_210115.jpg

I did find my first *real* gold ring a few weekends ago. Nothing fancy, about 1g of 10k. And I sure had to work for it; the signal was one way and scratchy, my pinpointer wouldn't pick it up, and I generally had a hard time finding it in the dirt, but when I did I sure was excited.

20170527_194201.jpg

Fast forward a few pounds of trash to today, and for a brief moment I thought Id hit the big time when I saw a ring shaped item poking out of the plug with all its sparkly little dots... but, pulling it a little closer, I realized its costume junk. Too bad, yes. But its only fuel for the fire to keep me digging. Shortly after I found the ring, I found another vein of junk gold. Only this time a bracelet, in parts. Corroded and broken, piece by piece I dug each one from the hole, seeing that golden hue and wishing it was real.

20170624_193830.jpg
20170624_205846.jpg

And yes, I found a token... a truly rare and every sought after a 2009 Chuck E. Cheese game token. My first for the year. I think I'll be putting it on ebay soon. :laughing9:

20170624_205837.jpg

I also found a live 9mm round, and a few fired ones. They're some kind of a training round or blank, but the middle one has no strike mark on the primer .

20170624_205931.jpg
20170624_210031.jpg

And while these aren't the treasures Im hoping for, Im still glad to be out and digging and enjoying everything I find. I can't be the only one here who did research on pull-tabs throughout history just to reassure myself that those teardrop shaped ring pulls really are a piece of history.

20170610_174114.jpg

Eventually I'll wise up and stop digging those obviously large and noisy targets that I know are no good.

20170603_163920.jpg

But if I do, I won't find cool things like this:

20170603_211334.jpg

These things that look like rocks are actually the smaller chunks of metal slag I found one day. The big ones wouldn't fit in my pouch. Must have been a fire or something.

20170603_164603.jpg

... and there's just so much trash. And if it ain't trash, its pennies.

20170608_220255.jpg
20170610_223338.jpg
20170624_204006.jpg

:pot-of-gold:

Last edited:
Upvote 14

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, your post shows that you truly are a "Metal detecting guy", and with all that trash, you just keep going, welcome to the group, in fact your user name, "Obsessive", is what I think so many of us have become with swinging a coil, and I don't think we would really have it any other way. I too had a former life once-------------.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. You are a great writer, I relate to everything you talk about, this hobby is very fun and exciting you never know what you will pull out of the next plug. I have gone weeks with just finding the 1945 pull tabs and clad but I'm just as excited to find something great every time. I wish more people would share their cladventures ,Me included. Thanks for the awesome post Tommy

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well at least one nice gold. I was looking for a pile of gold coins!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Wheat pennies, and good luck on your quest for silver.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post,,
Your removal of all those trash targets is a service that the next coil swinger who hits that spot is going to appreciate. lol
Congrats on your hunt.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. That is not normal 9mm brass, it appears somebody has been playing with a case trimmer and trying to make some experimental loads. Almost appear as if they were trying to make a weird subsonic load with that plastic projectile, probably fired only by the primer.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Eventually I'll wise up and stop digging those obviously large and noisy targets that I know are no good''

Thats OK at some spots but at better spots you need to clear everything. Lost count of how many great finds are stuck under or next to these large its of iron etc..
So what I'm trying to say over the years I've done it, is that the 'wiser' move is to clear it. Many detectors are sold to those who think Discrimination helps knock out all the trash & locate more good stuff. For years now I use no Disc.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the positive words of encouragement everyone. I'm looking forward to more good times.

I'm also contemplating upgrading my detector selection and curious about how the experience is with different tones to indicate different metals and knowing with some approximation how deep the item is in the ground. Maybe next month. What do you guys think?

Meanwhile, I did some searching on those rounds, seems the proper term is "Simunitions". I used to have a few friends in the Coast Guard, one of them talked about doing training with these rounds that fired small paintball like projectiles and how much they actually hurt. The bonus is you can train with your regular duty weapon to maintain consistency in muscle memory as well as response to the discharge force and sound. Heres a pic of some unfired sim rounds compared to non-sim rounds. Exciting.

dwKUP1L.jpg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post! I got a good chuckle out of the part where you said you still check the dates on the dirty clad...which us what I used to do. Then I finally unearthed my first silver coin, a Rosie and BOOM! I T wasn't dirty! You'll definitely know you've scored silver when you dig it...and I'd like to be there when you do to see your reaction. Good luck...Ddf

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the positive words of encouragement everyone. I'm looking forward to more good times.

I'm also contemplating upgrading my detector selection and curious about how the experience is with different tones to indicate different metals and knowing with some approximation how deep the item is in the ground. Maybe next month. What do you guys think?

Meanwhile, I did some searching on those rounds, seems the proper term is "Simunitions". I used to have a few friends in the Coast Guard, one of them talked about doing training with these rounds that fired small paintball like projectiles and how much they actually hurt. The bonus is you can train with your regular duty weapon to maintain consistency in muscle memory as well as response to the discharge force and sound. Heres a pic of some unfired sim rounds compared to non-sim rounds. Exciting.

View attachment 1465692

Interesting, first time I have seen them. I just knew that 9mm casing was way too short, lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread