Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Went on a short hunt on the Saturday at one of my old spots. Didn't have much luck and have almost given up as I could hear the thunderstorm approaching. Decided to stay until the next decent signal. Within a few minutes got good one, very deep but I couldn't find the item as the ground was saturated with water. Had about 20 mosquitoes sitting on me and as if it wasn't enough the battery in my Carrot died just when I finally started getting closer to the target. I almost gave up as the sky was getting darker every minute. Finally, changed the battery and managed to pull the target out of the ground. At first thought it was a broken button as I wasn't expecting to find any coins that day, but within seconds realized I was holding a Spanish cob! Oh man! Finally, after a dozen Spanish Reales I managed to find my very first cob. Super happy with this find.

It seems to be a 2 Reales cob from (17??) possibly Philip V (1700-1746) An unusual thing that I have noticed is the ''Y'' in ET YNDIARUM REX on the top right of the ''2'' As I would expect to see the ''I'' as in INDIARUM Maybe it might help ID the coin.

A great little hunt!

Thanks for the comments.

20170624_141655.jpg

DSC_15242abc.jpg

20170624_151249.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 52

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cob. From what I've heard the a 2 reale cob is pretty difficult to find in North America.
I wouldn't know though, I have only found two cobs and they were both 2 reales :dontknow:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks so much better cleaned up! Tough one to knock off the list.

Yes it does compared to the pic I sent you. I actually leaving it the way it is now. No more cleaning. The dark color makes the details more visible.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That is a super special coin. I've been reading about Spanish colonial coins and it is rare that it has not been clipped. Never understood the important development of the edge pattern in coins past the hammered era in deterring clipping (stealing a little bit of silver) until recently. Awesome piece of history you have there! Congrats!

Thank you. I haven't seen many cobs in the past, but from what I can see online they are indeed mostly clipped. This one looks more like if the the planchet (or actually a chunk of silver ) was uneven when it was struck. Also, it could have been cut of if the cob was overweight.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alize that's your first cob. I figured you've found plenty. What a first! That's like having your first girlfriend be a super model. Lol!

Lol. Something like that I would guess. The supermodel she is,that's for sure.
Yes it's my first cob after a dozen of regular Real coins. My forth 2 Reales.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check out the details on that sucker, found a few 1/2 and 1 real cobs but that 2 looks like it has some weight.

Yes. It's a nice heavy coin. Beautiful details, I agree.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great coin! Beautiful. I am surprised more people didn't vote banner for this. Maybe because there is already a cob up top? If not I am sure this would make banner.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great coin! Beautiful. I am surprised more people didn't vote banner for this. Maybe because there is already a cob up top? If not I am sure this would make banner.

Maybe a half dozen to a dozen cobs are posted a year. That's it. Unless someone gets on a early tavern site or something like that. You really have to be in eastern Maryland or tidewater Virginia to have a decent shot at finding one or at least that is where the vast majority are posted from. I agree that any cob is banner worthy but especially the bigger ones or any in good condition.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only cobs I have found out of 65 Spanish silvers. Both found in Southwestern Pennsylvania and both 2 reales. One from Potosi and one from Lima.

Attachments

• Cob Front.JPG
    Cob Front.JPG
    722.3 KB · Views: 46
  • CobFront.jpg.JPG
    CobFront.jpg.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 48

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only cobs I have found out of 65 Spanish silvers. Both found in Southwestern Pennsylvania and both 2 reales. One from Potosi and one from Lima.

Nice finds for western PA. I would guess, based on where you found them and they certainly look like, they are from mid 1700s. How many of the milled pillar Spanish silvers have you found out there. Those things are about as scarce as cobs.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for western PA. I would guess, based on where you found them and they certainly look like, they are from mid 1700s. How many of the milled pillar Spanish silvers have you found out there. Those things are about as scarce as cobs.

Yes the cobs are both 18th century so I was told on the cob forum. Looks like I have around 21 Pillar type counting cut pieces.

(7) PILLAR HALF REALS
(3) PILLAR ONE REALS
(3) PILLAR TWO REALES
(1) CUT ONE REAL (PILLAR)
(1) CUT TWO REALE (PILLAR)
(6) CUT EIGHT REALE (PILLAR)

Attachments

• Spanish All - 1.JPG
    Spanish All - 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping Steve in PA would pipe in with his dos dos cob reales. That bigger Spanish collection is still just too cool. Incidentally, during a little historical society talk 2 weeks ago one of the audience members dropped one of the 5 1/2 reales I found last year and it was lost in the old building's plank floorboards. Oh, the irony. Those aren't doing "show and tell" again. :laughing7:

I think this cob is banner worthy, but Aureus' and a few others folks' lack of prior banner recognition for extraordinary finds has me wondering if the system is just plain old broken. Still worth a shot, and I'm glad someone else brought it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the cob. From what I've heard the a 2 reale cob is pretty difficult to find in North America.
I wouldn't know though, I have only found two cobs and they were both 2 reales :dontknow:

Thank you. It seems like they are rare. I feel lucky to have found my fist cob as a chunky 2 Reales. They really look great!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank you. I'm not too concerned about the banner. As long as the good finds keep coming I'm one happy camper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe a half dozen to a dozen cobs are posted a year. That's it. Unless someone gets on a early tavern site or something like that. You really have to be in eastern Maryland or tidewater Virginia to have a decent shot at finding one or at least that is where the vast majority are posted from. I agree that any cob is banner worthy but especially the bigger ones or any in good condition.

Yes I have noticed that a few of the cobs come from Central East US. I'm wondering why. I would guess a more important trade with South American Spanish colonies ?

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome cobs. And you got both, Lima and Potosi. :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol. Something like that I would guess. The supermodel she is,that's for sure.
Yes it's my first cob after a dozen of regular Real coins. My forth 2 Reales.

Haha. I've dug all 1/2's and 1's in the milled Spanish department, never a 2. I really want one;) lol

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hoping Steve in PA would pipe in with his dos dos cob reales. That bigger Spanish collection is still just too cool. Incidentally, during a little historical society talk 2 weeks ago one of the audience members dropped one of the 5 1/2 reales I found last year and it was lost in the old building's plank floorboards. Oh, the irony. Those aren't doing "show and tell" again. :laughing7:

I think this cob is banner worthy, but Aureus' and a few others folks' lack of prior banner recognition for extraordinary finds has me wondering if the system is just plain old broken. Still worth a shot, and I'm glad someone else brought it up.

Oh my. I would be so disapointed if someone lost one of my Real coins. Hope you asked them to call you if they decide to change the floors.

As I have previously indicated I'm not running after the banners. Nothing is comparable to the positive comments and precious info I receive from the members of the forum. That's more than enough for me.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, congrats!