Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Went on a short hunt on the Saturday at one of my old spots. Didn't have much luck and have almost given up as I could hear the thunderstorm approaching. Decided to stay until the next decent signal. Within a few minutes got good one, very deep but I couldn't find the item as the ground was saturated with water. Had about 20 mosquitoes sitting on me and as if it wasn't enough the battery in my Carrot died just when I finally started getting closer to the target. I almost gave up as the sky was getting darker every minute. Finally, changed the battery and managed to pull the target out of the ground. At first thought it was a broken button as I wasn't expecting to find any coins that day, but within seconds realized I was holding a Spanish cob! Oh man! Finally, after a dozen Spanish Reales I managed to find my very first cob. Super happy with this find.

It seems to be a 2 Reales cob from (17??) possibly Philip V (1700-1746) An unusual thing that I have noticed is the ''Y'' in ET YNDIARUM REX on the top right of the ''2'' As I would expect to see the ''I'' as in INDIARUM Maybe it might help ID the coin.

A great little hunt!

Thanks for the comments.

20170624_141655.jpg

DSC_15242abc.jpg

20170624_151249.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha. I've dug all 1/2's and 1's in the milled Spanish department, never a 2. I really want one;) lol

From what I hear they are pretty rare. I managed to find 7 before finding those 4 You'll get some soon. With the quality of your finds I have no doubt about it.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on an awesome cob recovery. :notworthy: Finding a cob is hard. Finding a 2R cob is even harder. An unclipped cob - even harder to do. I know a guy who recovered a 2R cob down my a while back and it was extensively clipped - down to the size of a 1R. Perhaps you could post up a view of the coin's edge? I wonder if the missing details on the coin resulted from an uneven flan/planchet. It looks like it had a nice hard strike and coin details do not wear unevenly. Again - a big congrats to you!

Finally managed to get my coin scale. It weights 6,57 grams which fits with Spanish 2 Reales cob original weight (between 6,5-6,7 gr.) So I don't believe it was cut, and doesn't look to be worn neither. So the uneven planchet is probably the most plausible theory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions