🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to my small permission
where I found my first Gold (filled) ring last week.The owner said I could go detect on His hay field so off I went.
Little did I know that the metal detecting Gods were smiling upon me cause within 15 mins I got a perfect high Signal on my Deus.
When I saw the small dirt encrusted
Coin pop out of the ground, I immediately knew two things,
It was Silver and it was Old.
Took a quick photo and sent It by text
to Anton aka Aureus and continued on my hunt.
2 minutes later I started getting a slew of text back from Anton.
With the sun in my eyes I make out French coin,then 10 sol,
King Louis XV, whoa..
My hands start shaking-
I got my first French Silver.
A 1719 Louis XV 10 sols de France-Navarre
Or 1/12 Ecu silver coin.
I don't know how Anton I.D. So quickly
By looking at that first photo
But He was right on the Money,
Pun intended.
The bonus is that this coin was only minted in 1719
And the H mark shows it's was minted in La Rochelle
with only 117,000 produced.
Took a couple of days for all this to sink in.
My previous oldest silver was a 1910 Vicky quarter and I just hopped and skipped almost two centuries to this french coin.
Craziest feeling ill tell you that.
I find what makes these old coins interesting is that they fluctuated
In value. For example,
A coin would usually be known by its picture or some other visual characteristic, not its monetary value. It did not have an actual value printed on it, as we commonly do. For example, if we applied this system to modern coinage, a modern dime might be called "a Roosevelt" and depending on the state of inflation or recession in the country might sometimes be worth 10 cents, sometimes 9, sometimes 12, etc.
The equivalence of these french currencies is as follows:
12 deniers equals 1 Sous or Sol
1 Livre (Franc) equals 20 Sous or Sols
1 ECU is worth 3 Livres
1 Louis is worth 20 Livres
In practical terms Here's what 10 sol
bought you in the early 18 th century.
Around 1710, the major commodities were selling at about the following price: salted butter, 10 sols; fresh butter, 15 sols, water melon, 3 to 6 sols; big melons 15 to 20 sols, the cheese on the Island of Orleans, a small, thin, round pieces and four pieces to the pound, 30 sols a dozen. And to cook all these ingredients, a stove cost 100 Livres.
A day I'll never forget.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 351
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 75
OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that is a beauty! Sure would look nice up top next to a Pine Tree Shilling. I think your coin is rarer than a Pine Tree. I am voting banner too
Thank you sir, I still relive in my mind the day I found it.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm late to the party, but see your beautiful coin hasn't made the banner yet. Another vote cast. Thanks for the education as well, I enjoyed the read.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see that old french girl on the top as well. Great post and story as well. Beautiful coin, banner vote in!

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm late to the party, but see your beautiful coin hasn't made the banner yet. Another vote cast. Thanks for the education as well, I enjoyed the read.

Thank you Terpfan

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a prize that coin is. I've spent many hours on French sites for over a decade now, and was rewarded well, but am still looking for one of those!

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quite a prize that coin is. I've spent many hours on French sites for over a decade now, and was rewarded well, but am still looking for one of those!
I've only been detecting for three years now and my bucket list is still huge,and being very well informed
I know that French silver is hard to come by so never expected to find one these this early in my start.
Darn,don't even have any 1800 Silver yet.
I'm still on cloud nine.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been detecting for three years now and my bucket list is still huge,and being very well informed
I know that French silver is hard to come by so never expected to find one these this early in my start.
Darn,don't even have any 1800 Silver yet.
I'm still on cloud nine.

The only thing that seems bad about the find is that you didn't dig it in the context of a loaded French site from the same time period. I've done well on French sites for early silver but the majority is billion or Spanish cobs.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just caught up to this great find. Wow! That is a beautiful specimen of some old French history making it's way across the Atlantic on an old wooden ship. Man, if that coin could talk. Great find and I reckon you're still buzzing from that recovery.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give this coin a BANNER vote in a heartbeat. Nice old silver that we rarely see. Fantastic condition. Congrats

Agreed.

I missed this... Hey sorry.

Stellar coin. Well Done.

I too call this a banner all day long.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing that seems bad about the find is that you didn't dig it in the context of a loaded French site from the same time period. I've done well on French sites for early silver but the majority is billion or Spanish cobs.

??? So finding this coin where he did is a "bad" thing? Sorry, but I don't get that statement. I found a four inch solid iron 12 pounder cannon ball at a bank construction sight and nothing else found to substantiate any "military" activity went on there BUT, to me that doesn't take away from the significance of the find or make it "bad". Am I missing something here?:dontknow:

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed.

I missed this... Hey sorry.

Stellar coin. Well Done.

I too call this a banner all day long.
Thank you
I appreciate it

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just caught up to this great find. Wow! That is a beautiful specimen of some old French history making it's way across the Atlantic on an old wooden ship. Man, if that coin could talk. Great find and I reckon you're still buzzing from that recovery.
Yes I'm still on cloud nine.
Thanks

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing coin!!! Congrats !!!!!!:occasion14:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? So finding this coin where he did is a "bad" thing? Sorry, but I don't get that statement. I found a four inch solid iron 12 pounder cannon ball at a bank construction sight and nothing else found to substantiate any "military" activity went on there BUT, to me that doesn't take away from the significance of the find or make it "bad". Am I missing something here?:dontknow:

Yes, you are most definitely missing something.

What I said was it's too bad he didn't find the coin mixed in a loaded site of the same period - meaning he would have found a lot more coins and relics and would not be posting the coin just as a single find. So you are mistakenly taking my words too literal and twisting the meaning of what I said.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions