Found a (Cap?) Large Cent Today - Help make out the date?

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Found this large cent deep under an old tree at a 1600's house, Eastern Long Island.

So far I've run some warm water over it, and let it dry out before taking these photos. It probably needs more dirt cleaned off but I'm terrified to touch it.

Any ideas on a date/variety, or if that's really a cap there behind the head? And is that last number (directly in line under the throat) a 3?

Thanks in advance:

largecent1.jpg largecent2.jpg largecent3.jpg largecent4.jpg largecent5.jpg

Upvote 19

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Draped Bust Large Cent (1796 to 1807). Nice score! If it was me I wouldn't put any more water on it. Let it dry and use a toothpick to gently take off some of the remaining crud. Then buff with a soft dry cloth.

John

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - it's gotta be a draped bust. I can see the hair ties in the back that V off in two directions.

Gonna dry it out, like you said. It's my oldest coin for sure, and hopefully I get a date that breaks me into the 1700's.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save! It appears there are some nice details hiding behind the dirt...hope to see some updated pics soon! Ddf

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the draped bust. You'll get a date off that. Many opinions on on cleaning but here is my 2 cents. First off, I wouldn't run it under water. I never get my coppers wet. Get a package of those sharp wooden kabob skewers they sell at the super market. They come in many sizes....easier to use than a tooth pick. Hit the dirty areas but rubbing VERY lightly with the pointy end in VERY small circular motions. Basically you are just trying to loosen the dirt that is caked on to the outside of the coin without flaking away the details of the coin itself that are on that outer crust. I actually look at a large picture of a non-dug coin while I'm doing it so I know exactly the areas to hit to bring out the detail. When you're done hit it with some Renaissance Wax to seal it up. Some people swear by the peroxide bath method but I have never been able to make that work. Post some after pics! Again, congrats.

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the cleaning advice everyone, I'll post pics when it's cleaned (and hopefully dated!)

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use kabob skewers as well .when the dirt starts to come off just blow it off then if the coin is yours forever use the peroxide bath , get a microwave safe bowl put enough peroxide in it to submerge the coin nuke it for 45 seconds then drop the coin in the peroxide you'll see the rest of the dirt boil off

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh careful using anything but skewers and maybe a distilled water soak over night between scrapings. any other method can damage coins.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very nice large cent!:thumbsup: Looks like the date on it looks like it ends in an 8. Great Find!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 3 to me too, so possibly an 1803 date. Excellent find, and as others have said if you carefully clean it with a toothpick (dry) it should turn out nice. I think you will be surprised at how much detail is there. Congrats-that's a very nice find

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I used a skewer and was very careful. Looks like an 1802!

The back has a bit more green/toasted look than the front, which I'm thankful for.

draped-bust-large-cent2.jpg draped-bust-large-cent3.jpg

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin! Great detail on it as well. That wasn't dropped long after 1802.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the draped bust. You'll get a date off that. Many opinions on on cleaning but here is my 2 cents. First off, I wouldn't run it under water. I never get my coppers wet. Get a package of those sharp wooden kabob skewers they sell at the super market. They come in many sizes....easier to use than a tooth pick. Hit the dirty areas but rubbing VERY lightly with the pointy end in VERY small circular motions. Basically you are just trying to loosen the dirt that is caked on to the outside of the coin without flaking away the details of the coin itself that are on that outer crust. I actually look at a large picture of a non-dug coin while I'm doing it so I know exactly the areas to hit to bring out the detail. When you're done hit it with some Renaissance Wax to seal it up. Some people swear by the peroxide bath method but I have never been able to make that work. Post some after pics! Again, congrats.

Mr Digger I've had some luck with hp but it's always very dependent on the coins condition under the crud. About a year ago I started putting the coins in cold hp instead of warming it. It's a much gentler process. I've had to leave coins in for several days before but like the results way more that the warm hp.
To the op congrats on a new oldest. I hope there's a 17 date on that coin. Sounds like a great site with early potential

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, here's all the junk you have to dig in order to find that coin. ;)

IMG_7382.JPG

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah. Now that is nice. Well done and take good care of that "old" lady.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread