Date Nails & Some More Stuff From The Smugglers

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these date nails on a ranch my sister lives on here in Southern Arizona, and a bunch of camouflage stuff from the drug smugglers, which I recently posted another threat about. This time I stopped at the same spot and found several more camo backpacks, camo clothing, camo hats (baseball and booney) and camo shoe covers, which the smugglers wear for covering up their footprints in the desert. There was also a lot of purified water bottles (the big black water bottles you see) and other food stuff, toothbrushes toothpaste, medicine, etc... I thought it was pretty interesting as I found a lot more camo stuff out there today then I had previously. No more coins, though. And there was a LOT more than what you see in the photos, there was so much scattered all over the place I eventually stopped taking pictures. A lot of the bags were still stuffed with camo clothing, some of which you see in the photos. There were also a lot of heavy duty black trash bags, which I assume are for the drugs. Even found one military jacket, in addition to a bunch of non-military camo jackets, which must have been Mexican army, it was wasted though.

DSC02787.jpg DSC02789.jpg DSC02801.jpg DSC02803.jpg DSC02786.jpg DSC02776.jpg

I also saw these guys on the way. The deer love hanging out in my sister's front yard, so she started feeding them. The other one is a sneaky bobcat cooking out there in the desert. It crossed the dirt road I was driving down and then stopped in a little bit of shade for a minute on the side of the road, allowing me to get this shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 10

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great pics! Whats a date nail?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great pics! Whats a date nail?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

If you notice in the first two photos, the nails head poking out of these old railroad ties have numbers on them. The "27" stand for 1927 and the "51" for 1951. Railroads used them for dating railroad ties, for record keeping purposes and so forth. Although, they can also be found in old telephone poles and highway guard rails and so forth.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for that being a corridor path, possible tunnel near by. Those mules aren't very friendly

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely got to watch out, thats for sure. Mostly they ignore you though, when you see them out in the desert. Although Ive never seen any illegal immigrants hiking north in camo before. And This location is at least 40 miles north of the border! So no tunnels here, but there could be bunkers where they stash stuff. They like to come this way since its rural and all of the Border Patrol checkpoints are further to the south, on the main roads. Im in the middle of supper now, but I will post some pictures of some more of the camo stuff I found later tonight.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres some more photos of what I found.

DSC02807.jpg DSC02810.jpg DSC02809.jpg DSC02799.jpg DSC02798.jpg DSC02795.jpg DSC02797.jpg DSC02791.jpg

The shoe covers you see are hand made out of pieces of carpet and more hunting style camo backpacks. These are all over the place out there. Ive seen them out in the desert before, along with other camo stuff, but never so much in one place. There had to have been multiple pick ups going on at this point, since there were at least 20 camo backpacks around. The black bottle is purified water from Mexico with an improvised handle fastened on. And you always see those little electrolite bottles mixed in. That one is still good and expires in 2018! So this stuff must not have been out there that long, maybe from last winter?

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely got to watch out, thats for sure. Mostly they ignore you though, when you see them out in the desert. Although Ive never seen any illegal immigrants hiking north in camo before. And This location is at least 40 miles north of the border! So no tunnels here, but there could be bunkers where they stash stuff. They like to come this way since its rural and all of the Border Patrol checkpoints are further to the south, on the main roads. Im in the middle of supper now, but I will post some pictures of some more of the camo stuff I found later tonight.

Just checked, the Mexican border is about 37.86 miles straight to the south.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day Ill donate this stuff to one of our local history museums, as authentic artifacts from this interesting time in our history.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure they mule that stuff and get picked up there I still think theres a tunnel some where you would be surprised at how many tunnels they have. Look at how they broke that elchappo chap out of prison be careful my friend!!!!!!!! Make sue BP doesn't mistake you as a Drug Runner!!!

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the ware on some of this stuff, Im sure the Border Patrol knows all about this area. I see them out there all the time, and Border Patrol never picks up the garbage the illegals leave behind. I see stuff from the illegals literally any time Im out in the desert.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you go out there, take your detector with. Give the piles of clothes a sweep or two you might be surprised. Found one of these sites up north from you. There must've been enough clothes for 100 people, just off the freeway. Noticed the back packs all had a gallon water jug, a can of soup, and a heavy coat. Looked around a little & called border patrol. Turns out they knew about the spot and told me the coyotes would drop a load of wets there and they'd hoof it into town from there. After they left I went back to do some swinging and found coins in some of the clothes & five wads of money buried under bushes. I wonder how many of these caches I missed because there were no coins with the bills. Give it a thought might be worth your while! Those are some pretty good carpet walkers zapatos there

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good idea. The coins I found the other day were the first ones Id found, although I never really looked before. Ive always seen the stuff out in the desert, but I generally avoid touching it. Ive known several people that say theyve found bundles of marijuana out there, but Ive never found any. Only pipes and stuff like that. And my metal detector isnt working for some reason. Its just a cheapy I got years ago, though.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the camo clothing was like pajama pants, t-shirts and jackets. Stuff you can slip on over your regular clothes underneath.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread