Colonial Silver, Civil War Relics and Modern Gold!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think that I could have another hunt so soon that could be nearly as good as one of my last ones when I found the Civil War ID Tag http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/544570-civil-war-soldier-s-id-tag-old-dominion-today.html but today, I again had what I can only describe as one helluva great hunt!

I met up with Steve (Gigmaster) and we headed out on the boat for some fun on the river. It was beautiful day and not anywhere near the heat and humidity we normally have this time of year. We hit a couple of spots we'd been to before throughout the day and while it was slow going at first the finds started coming out and just kept getting better and better! The first good target for me was a really nice Civil War era NY State Button that is in pretty decent shape. I also dug the back of another two-piece and a flat button with a 6 pointed star/starburst but I don't know anything on that one. (anyone recognize it?)

We moved to another spot and weren't finding much when Steve asked if I wanted to move on I said a few more minutes and then just a few steps further down (prob about knee-wait deep water) bingo! A nice 12.43 on the CTX but I was not super thrilled as we had been pulling aluminum and fishing weights so I though it might just be junk I was trying to pry outta the rocks. It just sounded a BIT better than that though and it was, a little colonial silver! A very nice 2 Reals that after a little hot water/tin foil/baking soda bath the detail really came out ( I was VERY careful not to wipe or rub it) and showed the date as 1781. My first reale and oldest silver coin to date. I was pretty psyched now!

At still another spot we were once again killing it in the lead fishing sinker department and small aluminum and bullets. I was getting to the point that I was just passing over the tgs that I felt were waivering in that bottlecap/aluminum/small piece of crap range and this last good target was falling in that range at 12.23. I thought I might be on more aluminum or some iron as I was getting hits on that too but just like the reale, it SOUNDED better so I gave it a shot. I was only in water below my knees and it came out pretty easy. When I dumped the scoop I caught a quick flash of brass/gold and it looked like the side of a bottle cap. Even when I got it out of the clay ball it was in I still thought it was a cap of some sort till I realized it was a ring! Ok, calm down, gotta be junk right? Here? On the river? Gold? Come on..... Nice and heavy and we could see marks inside but I still was trying to talk myself out of it being real gold. Even back at the car on the way home and I had seen the 14k mark I was still thinking it looked "tarnished" or possibly plated...till I got the bright idea to polish it up a bit on my shirt which got rid of all the rust stains on it then I had no more doubts, the real deal! 14k at 5.3 grams, pretty heavy for a smaller ring but it's a chunky little thing which makes the 12.23 number make a bit more sense. Gold ring # 2, finally, but I have NO complaints! Though my beach hunting this year has suffered due to my need to find the older relics, I have had some great finds so far this year and showed that just like Max (Gravediggermax, virginiabeachmax )always says "Gold is where you find it"!

20170628_164422.jpg 20170628_173815.jpg 20170628_174118.jpg 20170628_174147.jpg 20170628_204747.jpg 20170628_204536.jpg 20170628_220339.jpg DocBeav 2017 Gold Ring #2.jpg

You can see it on Steve's video here:

Upvote 16

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent day Docbeav! The buttons are awesome, the real even better and the ring...!? WOW! You guys absolutely killed it today...thx for sharing Ddf

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, you had a good day! Congrats on the gold and the nice real!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver and Gold!!! SCORE!

I'm thrilled your instinct was spot on.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the awesome finds, really cool finds with the gold topping off a great hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread