My Grandmothers childhood memories. What a find

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Today I found out just how much my Grandmother remembers about her childhood. It was amazing.

She was born on the 4th of July 1912 and still remembers the McAllisters , Chambers and Packwood families of this area.. Pointed out on the map for me the locations of 6 of the original homesteaders of Thurston Counties cabins and fields.

Told me where she remembers her Dad walking back from on the old homestead when he went to get some money from his "bank"
The stories she tells are real treasures, and if your Grandmother is still alive you need to go talk to her.

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) GP'S are like having a history book at hand.I wish mine were still around to talk with, your lucky listen and learn.HH

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
You are lucky that she is still around!! All of my grandparents died when I was fairly young, and I never really got to know them.

Great that you can find out all those neat stories.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother passed away last year at the age of 104! She was sharp of mind right up to the last few days before she had a fall and died of a stroke within a span of a week Several years ago we were out driving and she showed me the house where she grew up. As far as I know it is still standing. They built the house in 1910. It is one of those houses without a foundation that just sits up off the gound on sandstones placed at each corner It was being used as hay storage last time I went by there. It is withing 30 miles of my house next to a turnpike and can be seen from the highway. I had forgotten until I saw this post. I think I'll drive up there next week and see if the property owner will let me do some detecting around the old place. I know there is no money there because they were very poor but I might be able to find some memento of her childhood? What a splendid opportunity and I just can't see anyone turning me down given the circumstances. Thanks for the reminder.

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for sharing the memories...my grandsparents also died when I was young..but my mom has some interesting stories! She tells of a jar of coins that she buried under a porch that was never recovered. My brother said the house isn't there any longer and has a medical building built on top of it. Makes you wonder if anyone ever found that jar of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread