How can I get permission to metal detect on private property?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I ask why you would not dig round plugs?
You will never know till you ask! I have no problem asking for permission, but I usually wait for the right timing like cool hand said wait till you catch the owner outside, at a store, etc.. If you are looking at multiple properties at once and are patient the right time will usually come up for each one. But sometimes you just have to go in cold and its either going to be yes or no. My experience has been usually yes but make sure you do not leave evidence that you were there because not only will you not be allowed on that property but might loss future permissions. I would also recommend to never dig round plugs.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"skunks pull plugs out of the ground to get grubs/worms". It's been skunks doing that all these years!?! I thought it was those damn yard gnomes!:BangHead:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a whole chapter devoted to this topic in my new book that will be out later this Fall. The chapter is entitled "Seeking and Securing Permission", and is loaded with tips and tricks to help you gain access to the sites you want to hunt. It follows a long and detailed chapter about a closely related topic - research - which will help lead you to productive spots that you can then seek to obtain permission to search. More general info about the book can be found at the bottom of my signature below. Good luck!

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I do. I made business cards with my name and personal contact info. I then walk up to door around the property and start knocking. I get s yes they live here, no answer or go away.

I keep digging. Land glide app helps a lot!

Remember if you don't knock the answer is ALWAYS no. If you knock is a 50/50 chance you find something amazing..what do you have to loose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions