How can I get permission to metal detect on private property?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way I have found after 30 years of detecting : Ask the owners. 2 outcomes possible, Yep or No. :dontknow:

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do some research on history of the property and just ask the owners, more nos than yess but you'll get some more places to hunt. I've spent months trying to track down owners and it pays off.

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found that the biggest thing holding me back in this hobby is the fear of asking and how to ask the right way. I always feel super awkward with that I'm basically asking to dig holes in their yard with the hopes of finding something of value that I plan on keeping for myself. My New Years resolution has always been to get over my fears of asking and being okay with the rejection

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your question regarding how to locate owners or how to ask for permission? If the latter:

Knock on the door. Here's my go to lines that have a ~90% success rate:

"Hi my name is ______. I metal detect for old coins and relics as a hobby. I was researching your area for old properties and noticed that your house was built in ________. Would it be ok with you if I metal detected _________?"

Tips:
-Bring your assembled metal detector with your headphones around your neck to the door. It helps them understand what you are doing and that you aren't a tweeker fishing for theft.
-If they are worried about digging holes and you have a lesche or lesche shovel, tell them that you have a special tool that allows you to remove the object from the ground without killing the lawn and that they'll never know you were there (and make sure you are skilled enough on your holes to follow through with that!)
-SMILE and be confident. Don't wear crappy clothes.

You will be nervous the first few times, but then after two houses you'll wonder why you haven't been asking all along. Asking becomes easy quickly (coming from someone who thought he was going to have a panic attack the first time). Permissions are the best. Period.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same problem as joncooper1986. Rejection as always been my main problem even when it came down to asking a girl on a date. I had to know someone who knew her and I always needed to know if she liked me already 100%. Now I am known to neighbor stalk so if I see you outside already I can do that, but have the dry run of knocking on the door...hello panic attack. I do have to face my fears on day because these public parks are killing me! Lol Good luck my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Truth1253 and @joncooper1986, I was exactly the same. Trust me, it will go away quickly. A few more tips:

For your first few times asking focus on yards that have spotty/dead/weedy lawns, but are still short/recently mowed. These are the easiest yes's. Once you get comfortable and confident with asking, then you can start thinking about nicer yards. Most of my no's have come from neatly manicured lawns, so I typically avoid them unless it is a super juicy old property. In that case, I will wait until fall or winter to ask, when the lawn is dormant or has some leaf fall.

My favorite areas are streets that are full of old properties. You can use this to your advantage. For example, you can add in a "I was just detecting at your neighbor So and So's yard" in the mix. It just adds another layer of comfort for the homeowner to steer them to a yes.

There will be a bunch of homes where no one will answer the door simply because they think your will be selling something. Don't let that discourage you, move on to the next.

I can't tell you how many times I've had really friendly homeowners that invite me to detect their backyards or we'll have a great conversation about the history of their home or neighborhood. I've found that people generally love to talk about the history of their homes. For this reason I have the Zillow ap on my phone. You can GPS your location and see when the home was built and any major remodels. Many homeowners will be impressed that you know when the home was built and many don't know themselves. This kind of conversation is usually a good segway into gaining knowledge of a neighborhood or area. I'll ask "if you were a detectorist, where would you go?" and they'll say "oh you should definitely ask Mrs. So and So because she owns the field that used to host community sales a long time ago", for example.

Last, look for those old cracky sidewalks that have lawns that are sunken below sidewalk level. This is a good indicator that they have not been filled. If the base of the lawn is high up or mounded above the sidewalk, this is a good indicator that it has been filled and that old targets could be too deep. Prioritize! Good luck dudes!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Truth1253 and @joncooper1986, I was exactly the same. Trust me, it will go away quickly. A few more tips:

For your first few times asking focus on yards that have spotty/dead/weedy lawns, but are still short/recently mowed. These are the easiest yes's. Once you get comfortable and confident with asking, then you can start thinking about nicer yards. Most of my no's have come from neatly manicured lawns, so I typically avoid them unless it is a super juicy old property. In that case, I will wait until fall or winter to ask, when the lawn is dormant or has some leaf fall.

My favorite areas are streets that are full of old properties. You can use this to your advantage. For example, you can add in a "I was just detecting at your neighbor So and So's yard" in the mix. It just adds another layer of comfort for the homeowner to steer them to a yes.

There will be a bunch of homes where no one will answer the door simply because they think your will be selling something. Don't let that discourage you, move on to the next.

I can't tell you how many times I've had really friendly homeowners that invite me to detect their backyards or we'll have a great conversation about the history of their home or neighborhood. I've found that people generally love to talk about the history of their homes. For this reason I have the Zillow ap on my phone. You can GPS your location and see when the home was built and any major remodels. Many homeowners will be impressed that you know when the home was built and many don't know themselves. This kind of conversation is usually a good segway into gaining knowledge of a neighborhood or area. I'll ask "if you were a detectorist, where would you go?" and they'll say "oh you should definitely ask Mrs. So and So because she owns the field that used to host community sales a long time ago", for example.

Last, look for those old cracky sidewalks that have lawns that are sunken below sidewalk level. This is a good indicator that they have not been filled. If the base of the lawn is high up or mounded above the sidewalk, this is a good indicator that it has been filled and that old targets could be too deep. Prioritize! Good luck dudes!

Excellent advice thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had much better success in catching the owners when they are in there front yards doing yard work. Knocking on a door can be intimidating for some. If you catch them in the yard it tends to be more of a relaxed mood for the asker and for the owner.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had much better success in catching the owners when they are in there front yards doing yard work. Knocking on a door can be intimidating for some. If you catch them in the yard it tends to be more of a relaxed mood for the asker and for the owner.

You're 100% right! I don't knock on people's doors because I know that I hate for people to knock on my door. I catch them out in the yard and I usually get a yes out of them. Once I get my foot in the door, I keep my eyes peeled for nosey neighbors looking to see what I'm doing. Once I spot one, I drop my headphones and head their way and introduce myself. After a little chit chat, I ask them if it would be OK to detect their yard. I get to detect their yard and the process starts all over again. Oh yeah, I give them keychain lights to make them feel that they didn't make a mistake in letting me detect their yard. Be nice to people and they will be nice to you.

tabman

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While this topic pops up about every week or so, I learn something new every time I read through the thread. So many great comments, thank you..Ddf

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best words to use are " may I try out my detector in your yard". Wear good clothes and be ready with references.
Best of luck. Find us some "Banner Finds" eg. gold

Steve Guardez S. E. MO.

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know till you ask! I have no problem asking for permission, but I usually wait for the right timing like cool hand said wait till you catch the owner outside, at a store, etc.. If you are looking at multiple properties at once and are patient the right time will usually come up for each one. But sometimes you just have to go in cold and its either going to be yes or no. My experience has been usually yes but make sure you do not leave evidence that you were there because not only will you not be allowed on that property but might loss future permissions. I would also recommend to never dig round plugs.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it like this if they say no they're going to get over faster than you anyway so don't let it bother you either and just go on to the next. :thumbsup:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you got a lot of very good answers but until you open your mouth and ask, it is already a no, so who cares if they say no? I will say that a really good permission can really change the quality of your finds, a true game changer for a lot of us.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoy reading about how to get permission to hunt private property. I learn something new every time.

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will never know till you ask! I have no problem asking for permission, but I usually wait for the right timing like cool hand said wait till you catch the owner outside, at a store, etc.. If you are looking at multiple properties at once and are patient the right time will usually come up for each one. But sometimes you just have to go in cold and its either going to be yes or no. My experience has been usually yes but make sure you do not leave evidence that you were there because not only will you not be allowed on that property but might loss future permissions. I would also recommend to never dig round plugs.

No round plugs? Can you elaborate?

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just have to ask. I pick up most of mine while walking my dog. People recognize me, they see me cleaning up behind the dog, I am familiar to them. I normally catch them outside so I am not disturbing them too much. I strike up a conversation about their home and the age, who the original owners were. Many in my small town take pride in the history of their property. The opportunity for them to see or receive a piece of the history usually results in a yes. I have discovered that the wealthier and better educated people are much more likely to say yes. It just takes practice. If you don't ask the answer is no. Strike up conversations with co workers, show them your finds. They all live somewhere. Talk to anyone you encounter during the day. There is no limit to the possibilities other than you being shy. You just have to go for it.

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joncooper, I have had a few bad experiences with round plugs. I do u-shaped plugs if I am on a mowed lawn. The reason being is because with u-shaped plugs you are not killing the whole root system, so especially in dryer years if you dig round plugs you can usually see the spots holes were dug if you go back a week or so later. But the bigger reason is because on most areas where lawns are mowed there are also skunks and I know there are a few people on this forum who have had the experience of having skunks pull plugs out of the ground to get grubs/worms, and there is nothing worse then going back to a site and seeing your plugs dug back up, after you spent time making sure that you left everything exactly like you found it. I will also admit that I am still new to this and maybe big plugs are a better solution, I am just putting my two cents in by what I have experienced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread