More Arizona Stuff - Need ID

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what this stuff is? The stuff at the bottom next to the ruler is what Im interested in. The other stuff is just to show. The thing at the far left is what I believe is another .50-70 round, without a headstamp, as it is exactly the same size as the other darker one you see above, which the guys here on T-net identified for me. Next to that there are a few buttons. Can anyone put a date range on any of these? The thing in the center looks like some sort of folding knife/razor blade or something, and the other side is identical to what you see in the photos, but if you need to see the backside of anything or let me know and I will take some more photos. At the far right, I think it might be a bottle top opener, but I dont know, so hopefully someone here knows what it is.

DSC02852.jpg DSC02854.jpg DSC02855.jpg DSC02857.jpg DSC02859.jpg DSC02860.jpg DSC02862.jpg DSC02864.jpg DSC02866.jpg DSC02869.jpg

The other stuff is an old pocket knife, a white clay marble, a skeleton key and some skeleton keyholes, a ring, thimble, old shotgun shell, a Mexican centavo dated 1903, an Oklahoma tax token from the 1930s, and a little rivet thing that says "LS Co SF PAT. MAY 1873" on both sides, anyone know more about that?

Ill post some better shots of the ring later, but I dont think its valuable or anything like that.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The casings are .50-70 Government rounds, which were introduced in 1866 for use in the 1866 Trapdoor. Or at least thats what someone here on T-net said about the darker one. The other one looks exactly the same size, and from what I understand the Army eventually replaced the 1866 Trapdoor with the 1873 Springfield, which fires the 45-70. Anyway, are you 100% sure old 50-70 Government rounds have headstamps? Id hate to clean it for nothing. But if there is a date I definitely want to find it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing someone said was a soapstone holder looks a lot like the latches for double doors. How thick is the metal, and is the rod in the center solid? Can you post a pic of the other side??

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RE: LS Co SF PAT. MAY 1873
An abbreviation of Levi Strauss & Co., originally written on the rivets: L.S. & Co. S.F. Pat May 1873.
Once the patent expired in 1890, the text was changed to ‘L.S. & Co. S.F. Cal.’.
Don......

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you have there is late 1800's turn of the century. Im guessing you were at an old railroad siding? Its kind of funny, I have several of everything you posted. Especially the buttons. All found at railroad towns in New Mexico heading to AZ. Good finds!

Close, not a railroad siding, just an old town. Any early date nails? Whats the earliest youve found?

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: LS Co SF PAT. MAY 1873
An abbreviation of Levi Strauss & Co., originally written on the rivets: L.S. & Co. S.F. Pat May 1873.
Once the patent expired in 1890, the text was changed to ‘L.S. & Co. S.F. Cal.’.
Don......

Nice work. Thats pretty cool. I see a lot of them, but this is the first one I notices with a date on it. Thanks

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may wish to recheck the date on that 1 centavo.
I believe it is dated 1905, the first year of that variety. (6.040,000 were minted)
Don........

Oh I did, I thought it was a 1905 as well, untill I cleaned the area around the date a little bit and pulled out the magnifying glass. Its difficult to tell, but it is a 1903.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions