FINALLY ANOTHER PISTOL! AND A REALLY GOOD ONE!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't really found much to talk about in a while, but this one is a winner. I went and hit a recent house demo site with pretty low expectations but I've got the day off so I figured I'd give it a shot. I went just after sunrise to try and beat the heat and spent a couple hours at it finding the usual junk and some modern coins and I almost didn't dig this thinking it was just going to be a chunk of an old sink or pipe, but for whatever reason I did and I'm really glad I did. I can't even explain how surprised I was to see the outline of a pistol instead of a chunk of drain pipe. So here it is fresh from a light scrub down. It's a Colt '51 Navy with an octagonal barrel! It looks like it took a pretty hard hit from something, but definitely not recently, and I looked all around it for the rest of the grip frame, but no luck.

Now I just need to figure out if it's a repro, a copy or an original. I don't much care either way and it'll look great on the wall some day....

gun1.jpg gun2.jpg

Upvote 33

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, White's DFX & Garrett ACE 250
Great find, congrats

Happy Hunting,
4dcr

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only ever found toy guns. That's a really cool gun for you to find! Nice going following your gut instinct for the dig.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is cool. Wow I would be excited too. Doesn't matter if its a repro or what the value is, the cool factor is over the top !! Definitely a man cave trophy in my book. I have a working repro of that piece and it's very fun to shoot. Congratulations, nice work finding that one.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, repo or not.....that looks like it could be in good enough shape to restore if one were so inclined.....

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a great find. Can you tell if the cylinder is loaded or not?

HH, RN

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, very high cool factor! congrats on the awesome find

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, congrats

Southern loyalist

Jun 6, 2011
Can you post pics of the brass trigger guard looking at it from the "bottom" of the revolver? There should be a serial number stamped into the brass near the front frame screw (in front of the trigger guard itself). That will be the first possible indication of it's originality. The missing back strap would also have a matching serial number stamped into it as would the steel frame, cylinder and the wedge. Some of those markings as well as the Colt address stamped on the top of the barrel may be legible after electrolysis depending on the originality of the revolver as well as the condition of the steel and how quickly you can get it into a electrolysis tank now that it's out of the ground. There also might be an inspector number stamped on the brass as well. ".36 cal" might also be visible if original. As noted by another poster check for rounds in the cylinder and carefully clean around the nipples - there may be caps on them if they're loaded. Regardless of originality, this is cool find!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool piece, congrats on the find.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! It's not loaded, and I'm thinking it's repro because there is no serial number on the trigger guard. Still holding out hope for it to be some rare Confederate made pistol, but I know the odds of that are pretty slim :tongue3:. It's too rusted to find any other markings on it but I'm thinking if it's a repro it may be one of the older Spanish made ones, but I may never know for certain.

I'm definitely going to hit that lot again just to make sure none of the big signals I didn't dig weren't actually broken drain pipes, Who knows? Maybe there's another one there....

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions