War of 1812 15th Regiment Infantry button & face effigy pipe stem

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Tnet, been a while since I've had a chance to get out detecting but was able to get out yesterday and hit up a spot I've dug and had moderate success in the past. The site is near a riverbank by an old plantation that dates to the late 1700s but has been occupied during the civil war and through the 20th century as well. First find of the day was this mechanic overalls button which dates to the early 1900s. I thought it was a gold coin when I saw it in the plug. I've found in my research that the logo is still used today on reproduction buttons, cufflinks and tie clips.

mechanic button.jpg

Next up was my favorite find of the day, a rare War of 1812 15th regiment infantry pewter uniform button. :headbang: According to several online databases these buttons rarely surface on the market and when they do they often have edge loss or corrosion on the surface so collectors should accept all conditions of this variety. It is GI 34-R15 in the Albert's catalogue. This one has edge loss but the surface is mostly free of corrosion. I'm not aware of any of this particular variety posted on TNet. Though the lowcountry of South Carolina didn't see any battles or skirmishes during the War of 1812, it was an important port for the US and soldiers were stationed throughout the area in the event of a sea invasion similar to what happened in Washington DC, Maryland and Louisiana. Most of the infantry buttons that surface in this area are the plain script "i" variety. Never seen a 15th surface here so I was pretty happy with this find.

war 1812 15th.jpg

Last find actually came on a different recent hunt but had to share anyway. This was a surface find nearby. It's a clay pipe bowl in nearly perfect condition which depicts three faces on the left, right and front of the bowl. I don't have much information about it but suspect it dates from the mid-1800s? Any additional information about the origin of why these were made with faces on them, or why this one has three would be appreciated. :icon_scratch:???

face effigy1.jpg
face effigy 2.jpg
face effigy 3.jpg

Thanks for looking, happy Canada Day, happy 4th of July and happy hunting! :usflag::hello:

Gheenoe

Upvote 20

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS.

Pretty sure that is the first button of that type posted on Tnet.

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that pipe. Cool finds!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find. I found a script I button this spring but unfortunately the Regiment number was illegible. Interesting bowl - try and get an diameter of the stem hole for accurate(ish) dating

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome finds, love the pipe and that button is way cool, exciting finds

OP
OP
gheenoe78

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I found a script I button this spring but unfortunately the Regiment number was illegible. Interesting bowl - try and get an diameter of the stem hole for accurate(ish) dating

Thanks Scrappy. The bowl is actually a detachable piece meant for use with a separate reed or pipe stem. It's not broken at all. Not sure if that helps date it or not, but I think the diameter trick is more helpful for one-piece clay pipes that have telltale diameters in the stems?

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, Gheenoe, that pipe bowl is really fantastic and beautiful, congrats on such a cool find. I'd love to find something like that. You're onto a good site for sure. Hit it hard. :occasion14:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries Gheenoe- glad to see you back in the dirt after getting that marriage thing out of the way :occasion14: The script 15 is certainly one rarest varieties of the 1808-1811 infantry pewter buttons. That effigy pipe is just over the top as far as surface finds go. Great work buddy

scdigs

Apr 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's hoping I'll find something that nice in SC!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread