1786 Vermont colonial copper

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually my first post on this forum but I've been checking it out for a few months now. I'm kinda new to this game. I used to use a metal detector back in the 80's when I was a teenager, then, mysteriously, I forgot about it. Last year my friend got a new detector and I remembered how much fun it used to be and wondered to myself why I ever stopped. I ended up getting one myself and instantly became addicted to the hobby again. Now I'll get to the point. Last week I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in about ten years and we were talking trying to catch up when he mentioned that he had just purchased a new house (New to him that is) It was a very old farmhouse in a rural New York town Near where we grew up. I immediately steered the conversation to metal detecting and secured permission to hunt the property. Now I'll skip to the good part. After searching for a while and not finding anything great I hit a good signal a pretty good distance away from the house in an area that apparently had been a cornfield at some point but was now mowed and part of the lawn. Imagine seeing this. didn't know what it was at first...thought it may have been a button with the shank broken off where the eye is on the back of the coin. Oh yeah, one more thing..I'm not very computer literate and I just got my digital camera recently so I hope these pictures come out OK....

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,045
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,124
Upvote 3
M

mikeinmd

Hey Evo,
take another look at the Red Book. The coin that they have pictured there, 1786 Vermontisium is slightly different than yours. The tail of the 6 is drawn out, I forget the term for it, and the one they have is short. You may have a different variety there.

If you get a chance, I'd call the American Numismatic Assoc in colorado Springs and see if they will give you an opinion over the phone. I've walked in off the street before and had them look at coins for myself with no problems. Super nice guys to work with.

Thats a great find too.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin and very nice condition! Congrats and welcome to the forum. HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I love the color of that coin. That's a once in a lifetime kind of find. Very Nice. Thanks for posting and good luck back in the hobby.

Bob

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Mirage said:
I love the color of that coin. That's a once in a lifetime kind of find. Very Nice. Thanks for posting and good luck back in the hobby.

Bob

Great find! Bob, he can top that one! One never knows what the next coin will be on a Colonial site...a Chain cent? Flowing Hair wilver? It is a great hobby!

HH!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Vermont's are always nice to find and yours is a decent one. I looked at the plates and at my auction catalogs and it appears yours is a Ryder-7 variety, rarity 3, Scarce and I am not quite sure what to say on "grading" but I would say somewhere between Fine and Very Fine. A little hesitant to say Very Fine or higher due to the plow and mountains being weak on the coin. I recommend contacting someone in the Colonial Coin Collector Club (C4) for a more expert assessment.

In a recent auction (Dec 2006) three Ryder-7 coins were sold and by the photos yours has more detail, BUT, two of them were noted to be rather glossy chocolate brown, and one was covered with porosity but no verdigris or other marks.(Never in the ground coins) The prices varied greatly and I am sure eye appeal had more to do with it than anything. The corrosion on yours takes away from an otherwise very nice detailed Vermont.

Vermont coppers are hard to find, surprisingly enough, we have found 4 here in Southern NJ and three were found at one site, including a Very Rare 1785 Ryder 1 variety and a Rare 1788 Ryder 21 variety. So they are out there to find!

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/vermont_coppers/vt_copper_varieties.htm

Don

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one fantastic looking coppa! I'm wishing I still lived on the east coast *sigh* :'(
Congratulations and welcome to TNet! I look forward to seeing more like that from you..no pressure!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Evolution, I have 6 Colonials this year, dude! You can catch me...just get back to that site!

Coppas are always fun to find! :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON MAKING THE BANNER!!!

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT
WOW :o

Killer copper!

I wish the New Jersey I recently found was half as good looking as your coin!

Keep swingin' your detector on that property, who knows what will ring your ears next!

Nickel_B

BTW, Whereabouts are you located?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats the deal with the price tag in the lower right corner ???

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDEKALB said:
whats the deal with the price tag in the lower right corner ???
I propped the coin up against a roll of scotch tape to make the light reflect off of it for a better picture. Price tag is on the roll of tape.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
_lOl_CoinShooter_lOl_ said:
what kind of metal detector, do you use? Just wondering
Whites DFX

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel_Buff1935 said:
WOW :o

Killer copper!

I wish the New Jersey I recently found was half as good looking as your coin!

Keep swingin' your detector on that property, who knows what will ring your ears next!

Nickel_B

BTW, Whereabouts are you located?
I'm in the Albany New York area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions