1786 Vermont colonial copper

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually my first post on this forum but I've been checking it out for a few months now. I'm kinda new to this game. I used to use a metal detector back in the 80's when I was a teenager, then, mysteriously, I forgot about it. Last year my friend got a new detector and I remembered how much fun it used to be and wondered to myself why I ever stopped. I ended up getting one myself and instantly became addicted to the hobby again. Now I'll get to the point. Last week I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in about ten years and we were talking trying to catch up when he mentioned that he had just purchased a new house (New to him that is) It was a very old farmhouse in a rural New York town Near where we grew up. I immediately steered the conversation to metal detecting and secured permission to hunt the property. Now I'll skip to the good part. After searching for a while and not finding anything great I hit a good signal a pretty good distance away from the house in an area that apparently had been a cornfield at some point but was now mowed and part of the lawn. Imagine seeing this. didn't know what it was at first...thought it may have been a button with the shank broken off where the eye is on the back of the coin. Oh yeah, one more thing..I'm not very computer literate and I just got my digital camera recently so I hope these pictures come out OK....

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,044
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,123
Upvote 3

CORY IN FLA

Jul 10, 2007
Edgewater Fla,
Detector(s) used
ACE 250... & Bounty Hunter LONESTAR

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats! That's really in good shape! Once in a lifetime find for sure!
:)
I found a Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) and it was a ratty looking thing I plucked from 12" deep.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Nice find!!!! I hope it is real :thumbsup: I have one that looks just like it, but it is a museum collectable piece.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
al pal 72 said:
That is so cool. Congrats!
Wow. I haven't seen this post in a while. Thanks for the response al pal.. (and the bump to the top) ::)
KirkPA said:
Rob,

Nice dig, buddy! :headbang: :hello2: May 2008 bring you more of those! :happy1: :icon_salut: :hello2:

Keep the passion high! :headbang:

Kirk
Hey Kirk. Long time no talk buddy. I was surprised to see this one at the top again. Best of luck to you too in 2008. Looking forward to some nice coppers from your crew.
Rob66 said:
Nice find!!!! I hope it is real :thumbsup: I have one that looks just like it, but it is a museum collectable piece.:occasion14:
I'm pretty sure its the real deal....judging from where it was found and what else was found near it. I also found another 1787 Vermont copper nearby, and several large cents. Thanks for the response.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice copper! Most of the ones I have seen were so bad you couldn't tell what they were. And I think, ho hum....but this one is nice. Monty

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Evolution said:
The coin was found at about 5 inches and rang up pretty solidly as a mid 70's VDI on the DFX. The depth was one reason i thought that that particular area of the lawn used to be a cornfield. The other reason of course being the scratches on the obverse of the coin. I think it's pretty ironic that the area of the coin that features a farmers plow in a field was more than likely hit by a farmers plow in a field to cause those scratches.

That is hilarious, I love irony!!! That is a STELLA find!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions