1786 Vermont colonial copper

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually my first post on this forum but I've been checking it out for a few months now. I'm kinda new to this game. I used to use a metal detector back in the 80's when I was a teenager, then, mysteriously, I forgot about it. Last year my friend got a new detector and I remembered how much fun it used to be and wondered to myself why I ever stopped. I ended up getting one myself and instantly became addicted to the hobby again. Now I'll get to the point. Last week I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in about ten years and we were talking trying to catch up when he mentioned that he had just purchased a new house (New to him that is) It was a very old farmhouse in a rural New York town Near where we grew up. I immediately steered the conversation to metal detecting and secured permission to hunt the property. Now I'll skip to the good part. After searching for a while and not finding anything great I hit a good signal a pretty good distance away from the house in an area that apparently had been a cornfield at some point but was now mowed and part of the lawn. Imagine seeing this. didn't know what it was at first...thought it may have been a button with the shank broken off where the eye is on the back of the coin. Oh yeah, one more thing..I'm not very computer literate and I just got my digital camera recently so I hope these pictures come out OK....

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,044
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,123
Upvote 3

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy did that coin hold up GREAT! Fantastic, gotta go back now and see what else you can find. Welcome to the site btw! HH!

SpecialFarces

May 7, 2007
Upstate New York - USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Very sweet coin, I just started detecting this year and the oldest find has been 1839. What an outstanding coin. Any idea of the value ? (never sell it - way too cool)

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SpecialFarces said:
Very sweet coin, I just started detecting this year and the oldest find has been 1839. What an outstanding coin. Any idea of the value ? (never sell it - way too cool)

Thanks man. I still cant believe it when I think about it. I checked it in the redbook under the colonial coins section. G- 250.00 VG- 500 F- 900 VF- 2400 EF- 4200....we'll stop right there because of the two scratches on the front of the coin. Condition will drop alot due to those. I did not put them there. You can see the dark green patina fills in the scratches as well. Maybe that coin got hit once or twice by a plow when that lawn used to be a cornfield. Thanks for the reply and happy hunting. I think the coin is probably worth somewhere between 600 and 1000 bucks. I guess that pays off the detector...Lol....

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
The redbook also says "most Vermont coppers are struck on poor or defective Planchets. Well struck coins on smooth full planchets command higher prices" It is also called a "landscape copper". That is one sweet find for someone just starting out. Welcome to the forum.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Very very nice coin! Welcome to TNet. Its nice to see you guys in NY finding some good stuff, I was just there and got skunked on old stuff (wasn't really there long enough to do any good).

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Pages 85 and 86 of the 2008 Red Book, "Vermontensium 1786".
G - 250
VG - 500
F - 900
VF - 2400
EF - 4200
AU - 9000

I haven't yet located their criteria for grading Colonial and Post-Colonial issues, but as outstanding (!) as your coin looks (and the fact that they say well-struck examples fetch more money), I'd hazard an uneducated guess that your coin is somewhere between F and AU. I sure don't know where, though.

I'm sure some people here can direct you to sources that will narrow down the accurate valuation of it.

AND NOW I HATE YOU 13 ORIGINAL COLONIES "HOME TOADS" ALL THE MORE...

Incredible find, congratulations!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. All I can say is awsome, just awsome find

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I found one just like that years ago..I sold it for around 3 grand when my car broke down. I do not remember fully but I do not think my was much better than yours...If not the same condition. GREAT FIND.

outraged-

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That coin is in fantastic condition, a find of a life time. I'll bet you're really hooked again now. WAY TO GO!!!!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot for the support and the replies guys. Even if it is raining here I still feel like I vicariously got out that day just by checking in and seeing what everyone else turned up that day. I really enjoy the site and will be making some more posts in the near future to catch everyone up with what I have found in the year and a half I've been detecting. Only 4 more coppers (coppas) and I'll catch up with Kirk for the year. (not very likely)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An EXCELLENT find!!! Not to often that one sees one of those on here. Seen some NJ coppers, and maybe a NY or two. This is a well-struck, high grade example, regardless of dug condition it should be worth quite a bit.

I THINK THIS ONE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT BANNER MATERIAL!

Regards,

Buckleboy

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
BuckleBoy said:
An EXCELLENT find!!! Not to often that one sees one of those on here. Seen some NJ coppers, and maybe a NY or two. This is a well-struck, high grade example, regardless of dug condition it should be worth quite a bit.

I THINK THIS ONE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT BANNER MATERIAL!

Regards,

Buckleboy
Agreed!!!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
VERY well dug and washed.

I love old copper especially when it's like this.

Welcome to TNet and Good job.

We expect more like this
Don't let us down, LOL

OD

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Wonderful first post!

Congratulations on the Vermont Coppa!