Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The past few weeks I have been hunting a large field where I have located three home sites-two from the 1700s-1800s and a third that dates back to the early twentieth century. I had previously found three Artillery Corps cuff-sized buttons at one of the older sites, all from a single uniform. A couple of weeks ago I returned to the field with hopes of finding more of the buttons.

I decided to start out by swinging the coil over the 1900s home site with the hopes of finding some silver coins. I notch discriminated out all signals below 70 and went to work. After digging some trash and a couple of wheaties I got a loud large coin-like signal and dug it. While it wasn't a coin it was a good find-a World War i collar disc.

20170709_170928.jpg S

Later research told me that it was a 114th Infantry Regiment, A Company disc; it's in in great condition too.

Pleased with my find I continued hunting the site. Another wheatie, more trash. Then a signal that I knew had to be a silver coin. I dug the target and pulled out a silver disc-yes! Wait, it was too light and thin to be a coin. I rubbed some dirt off and was able to read "James L. Dobbs/USA." On the reverse side was a long number. Then the wheels started turning and I figured out that I had found a World War I dog tag for James Dobbs.

20170703_203024.jpg 20170703_203147.jpg

That's definitely a first for me. I am assuming that both relics were worn by Mr. Dobbs in the Big War.

20170702_143832.jpg

I have spent the past two weeks trying to find some info on Mr. Dobbs-his war service, if/when he came back, his descendants, etc. I would really like to present the tag and disc to a surviving family member but I have come up with nothing. I guess they will reside in my collection.

After finding the relics I moved to the area of the field where I found the Artillery Corp buttons. I hit a nice "buttonesque" mid-60s signal. Before I could stick the shovel in the ground I saw this

20170702_143612 (1).jpg

I popped it out of the soil and wouldn't you know it-my fourth Artillery Corps button, and it's in the best condition of the four

20170710_175324.jpg 20170710_175444.jpg

Here is a group shot of the four together

20170710_175639.jpg

Other finds included a small brass octagonal buckle and a few flat buttons

20170702_143736.jpg 20170710_175756.jpg

Definitely a memorable day. If only I could locate Mr. Dobbs' family-that would be the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Upvote 20

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D&D, very nice finds! The buttons are awesome and I love that green patina. The dog tag...wow! Let us know and keep us updated if you luck out and find some info on him or his descendants...congrats on a great day! Ddf

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs DnD, I dream of a hunt like the one you had.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Enlisted service number beginning with a '6' indicate a service date between 1919 and 1940.
The "6's" began the year following the end of WWI.
Perhaps that is the reason you may be having some difficulty in finding this soldier's record.
Don......

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up searching for his heirs.
I've been involved in returning two WWII service tags and the reward for returning the tags to the soldier or his heir was exhilarating.
Don......

Thanks Don. Any tips for finding info about him or his military service?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the mark before the '6' is a letter, that was called a 'service number prefix'; and that custom began sometime in 1920. If there is no letter before the '6', your search may be (pleasantly) limited to searching for those who enlisted in only 1919 and 1920.
Don......

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the mark before the '6' is a letter, that was called a 'service number prefix'; and that custom began sometime in 1920. If there is no letter before the '6', your search may be (pleasantly) limited to searching for those who enlisted in only 1919 and 1920.
Don......

So this is a post-WWI tag?

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enlisted service number beginning with a '6' indicate a service date between 1919 and 1940.
The "6's" began the year following the end of WWI.
Perhaps that is the reason you may be having some difficulty in finding this soldier's record.
Don......

Thee's no letter behind the 6-just a ding in the metal. This is a big help-thanks!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where it possibly gets complicated is when a soldier leaves the service after WWI then decides to re-enlist. In that case, the Army may have given him the tag you hold--with a different number post-WWI service number. I don't know that one.
I'd start with birth records in your county between 1901 and 1905. I'd also contact your local cemeteries for the names of those buried. No doubt, other government and private organizations could help--like your local VFW and the American Legion posts.
Don,....

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous relics there mate. That dog tag is way cool. I reckon with all the brains here on T-net someone will be able to locate the heirs of this tag. Give this guy a hand T-netters. Sorry, but I am not very good at this sorta' thing. I hope you make contact with them. Congrats.:headbang:

Oh, nearly forgot. Duh. I also recovered a Korean War era dog tag and was able to return it to the actual owner. One of my ALL TIME most memorable treasure hunting moments ever! Don't give up the search.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a highly productive hunt, so many great finds. The tag and collar disc are very interesting, I wonder if they go together, and man would it be a thrill to find a relative! Also that artillery button makes me drool...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Angelo's WWII Angels Dog Tag Return Project
This person will help return it for you, if thats what you want. They are great & I managed to return a WWI dog tag to Australia. One of my best returns, as they had next to nothing from this relative, so were very grateful. Good Luck.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D&D, very nice finds! The buttons are awesome and I love that green patina. The dog tag...wow! Let us know and keep us updated if you luck out and find some info on him or his descendants...congrats on a great day! Ddf

Thanks, Ddf. I'm going to keep digging and if I get some leads I'll post an update.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous relics there mate. That dog tag is way cool. I reckon with all the brains here on T-net someone will be able to locate the heirs of this tag. Give this guy a hand T-netters. Sorry, but I am not very good at this sorta' thing. I hope you make contact with them. Congrats.:headbang:

Oh, nearly forgot. Duh. I also recovered a Korean War era dog tag and was able to return it to the actual owner. One of my ALL TIME most memorable treasure hunting moments ever! Don't give up the search.

Appreciate it K1. How did you locate the owner of the tag?

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a highly productive hunt, so many great finds. The tag and collar disc are very interesting, I wonder if they go together, and man would it be a thrill to find a relative! Also that artillery button makes me drool...

Thanks; I'm not giving up yet...

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800