🥇 BANNER After 21 years of detecting it FINALLY happened.....1st Gold Coin!!!!

Chuck Norris

Apr 17, 2017
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus Power!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup.....that's right.....after 21 years of detecting and digging what seems like a bazillion holes I finally popped my first gold coin!!! I won't bore you all with a long story.....I'll keep it simple....

Chuck Norris kicked the mountain's butt and took its gold....then the mountain came back for more and I took its silver too....the end

This is where I was hunting...
IMAG5383.jpg
1925-D 2 1/2 dollar Indian.....its a little worn and has a few scratches and dings but I don't care
IMAG5381.jpg
The rest of the coins from this area
IMAG5391_1.jpg
Went home and showed my wife and then my buddy called so I met him at an old school yard for a little spin.....didn't really care what I found...but found a few pesky wheats, a Buffalo nickel and a cocaine spoon...old dog tag and ball button are from the earlier woods hunt
IMAG5392_2.jpg
Got a tribe if injuns......the HARD way....just the way Chuck Norris likes it :laughing7:
IMAG5396_1.jpg

Thanks for looking guys & gals.......now get out there and go find you some

Upvote 192

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beauty, a day to remember for many moons.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote banner as well. Congrats on going for the gold and getting the gold. The three coins photo all bearing Native American images is way cool! :icon_thumleft:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have Chuck Norris cry on it. His tears remove scratches. Great find. It's about time!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG....you found my FAVORITE gold coin!
(Can it be my favorite even if I've never owned one?)

Huge Congrats!

Stuart82

Jun 16, 2016
Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still new and honestly never knew that coin even existed! Great find!!! Banner all day

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely beautiful gold coin. And only 21 years?? Man you're really quick.

But seriously what a find. What type of area is that in your picture btw?? Do you know what kind of activity went on there??

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a great find and very sweet coin. Congratulations! HH

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"When Chuck Norris goes metal detecting, the coins jump out of the ground in surrender!" Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Fishing4coins

Greenie
Jan 3, 2016
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Etrac and at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is a great coin. Still is on my bucket list congrats!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you are living the dream Chuck...:notworthy: If that's not banner worthy, I don't know what is. Now that you dug the elusive gold, maybe you can dig a copper 1943 wheat penny. I nominated Banner.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simply awesome. I love the Indian series. congrats!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely a find worthy of Chuck Norris!

Congrats to you on finding such a spectacular coin. BANNER

OP
OP
Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris

Apr 17, 2017
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus Power!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone!!!! Here's the story and a better pic of coin

Thank you everyone for the replies.....much appreciated. So here's the story on the recovery for those that were interested.....I was supposed to meet a friend at a new site but I was running late so I called him up and he said don't bother coming because it sucked.....I was already in the car and had the afternoon to dig so I went to my favorite wooded reservation, the locals know where. Its a large park with numerous picnic meadows that dates back to the late 1890s. These meadows have been pounded to death for 30+ years and finds are scarce in the easy places so you have to go off the beaten track and pound the hard areas.

That pic I posted above is what I'm talking about.....it's thick, overgrown, and full of mosquitos and ticks but there's treasure hiding there if you work for it. The best I can figure is this area that I've been hunting is an old overgrown picnic area that was missed in the glory days of this location. I have found several indian pennies, Barbers, mercs etc in here but it's loaded with trash from the 60s 70s & 80s..... A LOT of beers were consumed back here....pull tabs galore but I'll dig pull tabs all day long if there's good stuff in the mix.

So back to the dig....I was cruising along minding my own business digging pull tabs and picking up stray golf balls from the nearby meadow for the "Fill Dave's Truck With Golf Balls Project" and I hit the Indian penny.....was cool with that so got up, filled the hole and moved on.....but had another target less than a foot away....oh boy, another pull tab I thought, dug it out and saw the edge but still thought it was a tab. Picked it up.....hey this ain't no pull tab but had no idea what it was and gold coin was the farthest thing from my mind....wiped it off and just about crapped myself. I let out the loudest yell I may have ever done.....you all may have heard it.....I think there was a tsunami in Indonesia.....when Chuck Norris yells, tsunamis form someplace.

After I almost threw up and I was able to sort of compose myself and called a few friends and did the mandatory photo shoot, I settled back in and went after it hard.....kicked boulders out of the way, knocked down trees, wrestled a grizzly bear and made him get me lunch.....got a 30 something wheat penny in the vicinity.

It was getting late, I was having a hard time concentrating, cell phone was blowing up, my pouch was full of trash and gold balls and I was getting thirsty so I drank the lake dry and pulled the silver Washington on the way out.

The gold coin wasn't deep, 5-6 inches and was very close to the Indian so was it a spill.....I'll never know, it would be a weird one if it was. One thing I know is there are more out there somewhere and you just have walk over it and decide to dig that beep......you'll never know what was in the hole if you don't dig it up...and it could be YOUR first gold coin.

Here it is after a clean.....it actually looks nicer in the photos than in person, it has a more dull appearance. Its a little worn and has some dings here and there and a stain on the front that I can't get off but I think it gives it character....this coin circulated a bit and I like that
IMAG5386_1.jpg
IMAG5387_1.jpg
Well....thanks again for listening to me ramble on and for all the comments

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread