🥇 BANNER Gold Ring With Eagle On It

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a great metal detecting adventure yesterday! I found civil war bullets, colonial buckles and buttons but the main find was a gold ring with an eagle on it! I have not been able to find a similar ring anywhere. I believe it is a military ring since it has the eagle with what appears to be an olive branch in his mouth. What I thought were scratches on the back appears to be some sort of makers mark or symbols? If you figure it out let me know! video here

Attachments

• Makers mark on eagle ring.png
    Makers mark on eagle ring.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 762
  • Eagle Ring.png
    Eagle Ring.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • FullSizeRender 22.jpg
    FullSizeRender 22.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 645
  • FullSizeRender 24.jpg
    FullSizeRender 24.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 607
  • FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 626
Upvote 136

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am absolutely excited for you and your find, congratulations. What's going to be even more exciting is the day you see that seal show up on an historic document someday.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the amazing ring, and I agree your title is very modest as I missed it yesterday. That being said the marks with the what looks like a chicken for the second one would indicate French. Getting the ring straightened and a hallmark ID the ring will restore it all its glory. Its one fine example and one of the best pieces of early history posted up, my hat goes off to you on the recovery.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This one slipped right by me until a friend mentioned it by text. Wow! That's a find of a lifetime my friend! Absolutely incredible!!!! I do believe a colonial gold ring is at the top of my list. I'll be back again and again to take another look.

Outstanding!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic hunt and a beautiful gold ring! :notworthy:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pink background you used really makes your ring pop on the banner. Congratulations on the banner.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1,000' WOW'S.
'Stunning'

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle , rooster , turkey buzzard , it is a righteous treasure & deserves Huge Congrats !

Fantastic ring !

:hello2:

CMDdawg

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Huge Banner Find! I'm thinking it's a Dove with an Olive Branch on the ring. Hopefully we can figure out the maker for you!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
NIce save GM!! You leave the Doc home this time?

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You've been hot this summer Steve, but you really outdid yourself this time. I can't wait to find out what the ring's true identify and age is. It certainly looks colonial, but those marks on the back are very strange and ones I've never seen before. Hope you can find someone knowledgeable to help come up with an accurate ID. Amazing man!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, amazing ring. It has the look and style to me of a 16th to 17th century gold English/European signet ring although maybe a bit less chunky than normal. I think Crusader had a very similar ring with a lion on it as a banner find!
Yeap, had it straighten & as I couldn't afford to give the farmer half of the value, I sold it for £4200. British Museum only valued it at £2500.

Congrats to the OP on his banner. Tough one to date. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 17th C. (That buckle is 17th C)

It is worth spending money on getting it fixed.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jackpot all day long! An epic find, one of the best I've seen all year, and of marvelous style. Congratulations!

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing... I can't imagine being able to detect in a place so rich in American history with the potential for finds like yours. I hope you continue to rescue the good stuff. Keep swinging mi amigo!

Sagtgeek-

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Late to the party, but my oh my...one of the most stunning digs I've seen posted on here. The octagonal gold reminded me of an 18th century cuff I found a few years back. Congrats on the banner- she's a beauty!

For reference

gold2.jpg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Killer find. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

It's not an eagle. It's a french cock ring. OK that came out a little weird. Let me start again. :BangHead:

The French national animal is a fighting rooster (Coq Gaulois). The ring appears to be stamp work and probably is colonial period. It doesn't appear to be made for sale in France because there is no Makers Mark in a triangle. It was probably made for export.

The Coq Gaulois is found all through French history. Their coins, stamps and medals often have that rowdy rooster on the face:

m2-1331f.jpg

TienVang.jpg

Here's a painting of a Coq Gaulois killing a German Eagle:

coq-gauloistu-es-le-droit-tu-c3a9craseras-lc2b4-aigle-germanique-1914-1918.jpg

The fact that it's not an American eagle doesn't diminish the find but it probably does reflect a lower sales value.

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again for all the links and input on the history of this ring. It is just sinking in on the rarity of it! I cant wait for somebody to make a connection to someone in history. The suspense is killing me! I was really hoping to find a gold coin but now I am glad it was a ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions