A short hunt in the "axe woods"

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used the early morning to get out before the heatwave struck!

The first find was a bullet, quite a good start in the morning!
IMG_1553.JPG

However, it was the second find - the axe that really got me interested.
Fresh out the ground:
IMG_1556.JPG
Better pic below. note the unusual shape. I haven't finished researching it, but it may be 1700's or earlier. Size is 19 cm by 10 cm.
If you have any idea on axes in Europe, please let me know if you think otherwise.

IMG_1565.JPG

Axe #2 of the day. A modern one.

IMG_1564.JPG

I may now refer to it as the "axe woods". :thumbsup:

Upvote 12

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting looking ax head. Looks quite old for certain. I love old iron relics. Ax heads are cool but, finding several in one hunt can weigh you down a bit.:laughing7:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking axe! Unusual shape yes. Timeframe sounds about right to me. Is the shaft hole round or oval?

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds, I'm going to follow this to learn more about that interesting axe.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting looking ax head. Looks quite old for certain. I love old iron relics. Ax heads are cool but, finding several in one hunt can weigh you down a bit.:laughing7:
That is funny I have found many axes they are cool but anything here would not be very old and other heavy stuff I end up leaving by a tree for later,I don't like lugging stuff around..That does look like an oldie there is a lot of history in Sweden Great post Thanks for sharing. I would lug that one around!!!!!

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Indeed. I somehow wished I had not used the bicycle to get there...:tongue3:

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking axe! Unusual shape yes. Timeframe sounds about right to me. Is the shaft hole round or oval?

Either oval or a squared off oval. I'm leaving it as is, until I know if the archeologists want it.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on your finds, I'm going to follow this to learn more about that interesting axe.

You and me both. I sent a pic to a museum to see if they could tell me anything. Report to the archeologists in also in the doing.
I'll try to keep it updated!

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is funny I have found many axes they are cool but anything here would not be very old and other heavy stuff I end up leaving by a tree for later,I don't like lugging stuff around..That does look like an oldie there is a lot of history in Sweden Great post Thanks for sharing. I would lug that one around!!!!!

If you like legends, the "axe woods" date back to the 1500's, belonging to a large farm. Or so it is believed.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"axe woods"
Funny, it doesn't seem to matter what Country you are from, there is a deep need to name our fields...lol

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"axe woods"
Funny, it doesn't seem to matter what Country you are from, there is a deep need to name our fields...lol

..or woods :laughing7:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either oval or a squared off oval. I'm leaving it as is, until I know if the archeologists want it.

This is an axe head about 150-200 years old.
29812726sq.jpg

This has a couple hundred years more under it's belt and would date into the beginning of your "Axe Wood".
29812730wd.jpg

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Westfront. Neither quite fits and the "eye" of the axe doesn't seem to go all the way through.
Here's a picture of the profile of the axe. Ignore the "thick spots", a peat-like mess.

IMG_1571.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update:

A archeologist got back to me (finally). He guesstimates the axe to the early 1800's, due to the fine condition.
However the design has been around since the 1600's.
Well, it was found in peat-ish material, so I'm not that surprised in regards to the condition...

The axe is either used in building houses or it was an axe used for clearing up new farmland. ("rootaxe"?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread