Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Hunted a teardown

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola
    158 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hunted a teardown

Spotted a house being demolished near where I work last week. Seeing the house in tact previously and judging from rhe majority of the neighborhood, I estimate it was built in the 40s or 50s

So after i got off yesterday i stopped by the lot. It was a bit rough still with half of it being a huge pile of scrape with dozers and back hoes parked on top. The other half was graded down a foot or so. I hit both best i could in the 45min I had to spare. Not much good did I find.. one toasted wheatie came up from under the grade. I may try to go back after work this week. How would you guys approach this? Hunt the scrape piles? The grade? The perimeter? I tried it all, albeit quickly.

I did find some bottles though. Too hot here today to be in the sun, i swear its like 82°. So i took an hour from my chores to clean these up...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170716_135510.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	1473047

Nothing special that i can tell, but definitely a bit of local history here.

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    9721 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

Feb 2015
    Victor, CO
    Minelab Ex2
    906 times
    You sure cleaned those bottles well. I tend to wander aimlessly around construction sites concentrating on where there are the most old signals. Good luck!
    A2coins and Davers like this.

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diggingthe1 View Post
    You sure cleaned those bottles well. I tend to wander aimlessly around construction sites concentrating on where there are the most old signals. Good luck!
    Thanks! I used oxiclean powdered laundry detergent, because i had it. A wheel brush from my car wash bucket, and -dare i say- some really fine grade steel wool that id already worn down even more on some unremembered item. I was pretty impressed that they came so clean as well.
    A2coins and diggingthe1 like this.

Jul 2017
    4 times
    I like those old bottles and your 82 degree weather. Sure wish it was that cool here.
    Davers and A2coins like this.

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    I like those old bottles and your 82 degree weather. Sure wish it was that cool here.
    Thanks. The weather is about the only reason that makes this area worth living in... today was back to normal temps in the mid 70's. But yesterday, which actually got up to almost 90 degrees, was a scorcher.
    A2coins and Davers like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    1670 times
    Love those sparkling clean old bottles. I hope you can score some coins that date back to the bottles or older. Worth a try as all construction projects have great potential for good scores.
    A2coins likes this.
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurios1 View Post
    Love those sparkling clean old bottles. I hope you can score some coins that date back to the bottles or older. Worth a try as all construction projects have great potential for good scores.
    Thanks. Thats what I'm hoping for. Not sure what to do with all these bottles. Coins and pull tabs take up much less space.
    Last edited by Obsessive; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Davers likes this.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    2452 times
    I hunt a lot of tear downs here and there's really no set formula for where to look that I've found. I just hit the whole place starting with undisturbed yard, especially around where the doors were, and where I think clotheslines may have been, and see what turns up. I dig a lot of broken cast iron pipe and tub parts and what seems like more nails than were used to build the house to begin with but clearing that out generally leads to some good finds. with then stripping a foot off of an area though they probably took any relics in that spot with it, so checking the heaps might be a good idea

I'd say you did pretty good on those bottles though, those embossed creams and milks could be desirable to local collectors and the fact they survived the dozer is pretty impressive. If the house was old enough you might want to probe the yard for privy pits....
    Last edited by NOLA_Ken; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM.
    A2coins, Obsessive and Davers like this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + , That i'm gettin to know.
    2307 times
    Good Job.
    Glass does take up space , I like the style of yours .

You got good advice on tear downs .
    I just "Use the Force" on such sites.
    +
    Scrap brass & Copper pays well . (The small stuff ,Unless they give you permission to take larger pipes & wire.

Humidity Kills.....
    A2coins likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we Start at the top,with the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through True faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or True Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with Both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Aug 2015
    New Hampshire
    Still doing research, but I still have my Micronta (Radio Shack) 3000 from the late 1970s!
    35 times
    Nice finds. I'm curious - what is the protocol for getting permission to hunt those sorts of places? I assume it is privately owned. Or, as it is a demo site, does it not really matter?
    A2coins likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6085 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldwormwood View Post
    Nice finds. I'm curious - what is the protocol for getting permission to hunt those sorts of places? ....
    You're talking nameless faceless old-town demolitions, right ? (versus someone's yard or whatever, right ?) If so : The protocol is: You wait till after 5pm when the workers cut out for the day.
    A2coins and oldwormwood like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    2452 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldwormwood View Post
    Nice finds. I'm curious - what is the protocol for getting permission to hunt those sorts of places? I assume it is privately owned. Or, as it is a demo site, does it not really matter?
    Most of the ones I hit are abandoned places that the city is knocking down and those are fair game to hunt. It never hurts to talk to someone on the demo crew though and usually they could care less if you go poke around after they're done.
    A2coins and oldwormwood like this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6085 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    .... usually they could care less if you go poke around after they're done.
    Really ? Then you must be in a more laid back area than the parts of CA where I'm at. Out here, it seems you can ask till you're blue in the face, and only get the obligatory answer.

However, one time I recall asking, and the guy said "I leave at 5pm. What I don't see doesn't bother me. You didn't hear me say this" (with a wink wink). So.... we returned at 6pm, stepped over the yellow ticker tape, and went at it.
    A2coins, oldwormwood and NOLA_Ken like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    2452 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Really ? Then you must be in a more laid back area than the parts of CA where I'm at. Out here, it seems you can ask till you're blue in the face, and only get the obligatory answer.

However, one time I recall asking, and the guy said "I leave at 5pm. What I don't see doesn't bother me. You didn't hear me say this" (with a wink wink). So.... we returned at 6pm, stepped over the yellow ticker tape, and went at it.
    Yeah people down here don't much care what you do so long as you're not causing them any trouble.
    A2coins and Tom_in_CA like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links