Bird Point or Awl? - And a fossil?

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out with a friend today, who took me to some place out on his property to look for relics along a dry wash. Nows a good time since the Monsoon tends to wash stuff up that have been buried for centuries, and my friend lets me keep anything I find on his place. Take a look. I am also looking for some second opinions on the smaller stone piece. It looks like a little awl to me, and the larger, broken one is definitely an awl, but tell me what you think. Also have what I believe is a fossil. Ive seen other fossils that were found on the Pacific coast, and this looks very similar to that.

DSC03520.jpg DSC03527.jpg DSC03512.jpg DSC03530.jpg DSC03533.jpg

Also saw these guys, a blond tarantula and a bunch of these giant desert millipedes. The rain brings cools weather, which allows these otherwise nocturnal critters to come out in the daytime. Also saw a baby rattlesnake and several desert centipedes underneath old railroad ties, but they scurried away before I could get a shot. Ive seen at least 5 rattlesnakes in the past week, roadkill and alive, but I havent taken any pics as they are usually in an awkward position, where it is difficult to get a shot, or they're dead, and I have many other photos of rattlers anyway.

DSC03505.jpg DSC03501.jpg DSC03498.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cool old artifacts. Also love the desert wildlife shots. I remember running across the pottery pieces when I lived out there. Cools stuff.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I'm stoked that the rains are finally here. Cooler weather and softer ground!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we always called those drills, used for many things

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Dirtlooter. In our parts here, we also call those drills. Multi use tools for the Indians. I don't think either of those is a bird point. And yes, your other piece looks to be a fossil of some sort.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that fossil is coral, horned rugosa probably but there are many variations in that family and genus.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awl, drill, no matter. The archaeologists usually refer to them as an "awl" down here, but they are drills. Ive never found one like this before, but I knew it had to be an awl since Ive seen others in the same shape. I just expected them to be larger! This thing is tiny, which made me think of a bird point. The other one, had it not been broken, would have been a big one, much more like what I always expected an awl to look like.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are drills-and that's definitely a fossil.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that fossil is coral, horned rugosa probably but there are many variations in that family and genus.

Love the 'Latin' above my 'pay Grade' tho. Still cool so not Hatin.

I wish that I could locate items like that around here , they are around but I can not find them .

Super Cool Finds, & love the Wildlife pictures as well.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awl, drill, no matter. The archaeologists usually refer to them as an "awl" down here, but they are drills. Ive never found one like this before, but I knew it had to be an awl since Ive seen others in the same shape. I just expected them to be larger! This thing is tiny, which made me think of a bird point. The other one, had it not been broken, would have been a big one, much more like what I always expected an awl to look like.

we have found some pretty small ones, as a kid, I traded my "arrowhead" finds to my uncles for 22 shells and shotgun shells to hunt with. there were certain fields that really produced after a good plow and then more after a rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread