Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree34Likes
  • 15 Post By Old Pueblo
  • 4 Post By Old Pueblo
  • 1 Post By Kurios1
  • 1 Post By Eleven Cents
  • 1 Post By vpnavy
  • 3 Post By dirtlooter
  • 1 Post By trapperart
  • 2 Post By Trezurehunter
  • 2 Post By P.ALLEN
  • 3 Post By Old Pueblo
  • 1 Post By DownNDirty

Thread: Bird Point or Awl? - And a fossil?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1133 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Bird Point or Awl? - And a fossil?

Out with a friend today, who took me to some place out on his property to look for relics along a dry wash. Nows a good time since the Monsoon tends to wash stuff up that have been buried for centuries, and my friend lets me keep anything I find on his place. Take a look. I am also looking for some second opinions on the smaller stone piece. It looks like a little awl to me, and the larger, broken one is definitely an awl, but tell me what you think. Also have what I believe is a fossil. Ive seen other fossils that were found on the Pacific coast, and this looks very similar to that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03520.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	1473240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03527.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	1473241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03512.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	1473242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03530.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	1473243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03533.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	1473244

Also saw these guys, a blond tarantula and a bunch of these giant desert millipedes. The rain brings cools weather, which allows these otherwise nocturnal critters to come out in the daytime. Also saw a baby rattlesnake and several desert centipedes underneath old railroad ties, but they scurried away before I could get a shot. Ive seen at least 5 rattlesnakes in the past week, roadkill and alive, but I havent taken any pics as they are usually in an awkward position, where it is difficult to get a shot, or they're dead, and I have many other photos of rattlers anyway.

Name:	DSC03505.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	1473251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03501.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	1473252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03498.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	1473253
    Last edited by Old Pueblo; Jul 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1133 times
    Heres another shot of the point.

Name:	DSC03540.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	1473247

Charter Member
    us
    Kevin

Feb 2017
    FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
    Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
    3721 times
    Some cool old artifacts. Also love the desert wildlife shots. I remember running across the pottery pieces when I lived out there. Cools stuff.
    Old Pueblo likes this.
    “This Is My Creed I believe first in God, the same God in which my ancestors believed. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is my saviour. Second, I believe in the Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America, without interpretation, as it was written and meant to work. I have given my sacred oath “to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” I intend to fulfill that oath. Third, I believe in the family unit and, in particular, my family unit. I have sworn that I will give my life, if it is required, in defense of God, the Constitution, or my family. Fourth, I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever. William Cooper August 3, 1990”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

us
    Nov 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Bounty Hunter Prospector
    59 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice finds. I'm stoked that the rains are finally here. Cooler weather and softer ground!
    Old Pueblo likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    7751 times
    Nice finds!
    Old Pueblo likes this.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet is a family friendly forum with the only exception being our Charter Member > Politics Forum. Please post by our rules, watch the language and the insults. Calling members a troll, using “locker room" language in your signatures, using special characters to bypass our language sensor -violates our rules. Again, please post by our rules.

we always called those drills, used for many things
    1320, Trezurehunter and Old Pueblo like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    11084 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice finds congrats
    Old Pueblo likes this.
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

us
    Mar 2003
    Illinois / Oklahoma
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro - Fisher CZ 5
    4345 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    I'm with Dirtlooter. In our parts here, we also call those drills. Multi use tools for the Indians. I don't think either of those is a bird point. And yes, your other piece looks to be a fossil of some sort.
    Old Pueblo and dirtlooter like this.

us
    Bird Lawyer

Jun 2017
    Work Apparently
    Ace 250
    350 times
    that fossil is coral, horned rugosa probably but there are many variations in that family and genus.
    Old Pueblo and Davers like this.
    Dum spiro spero

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1133 times
    Thanks everyone, you guys are the best.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1133 times
    Awl, drill, no matter. The archaeologists usually refer to them as an "awl" down here, but they are drills. Ive never found one like this before, but I knew it had to be an awl since Ive seen others in the same shape. I just expected them to be larger! This thing is tiny, which made me think of a bird point. The other one, had it not been broken, would have been a big one, much more like what I always expected an awl to look like.

us
    Colonial relic hound

Jun 2015
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro
    2240 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Both are drills-and that's definitely a fossil.
    Old Pueblo likes this.
    Notable 2017 Finds:

- 18th century paste knee buckle
    - Partial Prussian/Union army musket butt plate
    - SC militia buttons (5)
    - One-piece Artillery Corps cuff buttons (5)
    - Annular buckle (pre-1720s)
    - (2) King George II halfpennies (1753 & no date)
    - 1836 capped bust half dime
    - 1857 flying eagle cent
    - 1877 seated dime

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + , That i'm gettin better with.
    2738 times
    Quote Originally Posted by P.ALLEN View Post
    that fossil is coral, horned rugosa probably but there are many variations in that family and genus.
    Love the 'Latin' above my 'pay Grade' tho. Still cool so not Hatin.

I wish that I could locate items like that around here , they are around but I can not find them .

Super Cool Finds, & love the Wildlife pictures as well.
    As I am finding , In life we Start at the top,with the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through True faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or True Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with Both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pueblo View Post
    Awl, drill, no matter. The archaeologists usually refer to them as an "awl" down here, but they are drills. Ive never found one like this before, but I knew it had to be an awl since Ive seen others in the same shape. I just expected them to be larger! This thing is tiny, which made me think of a bird point. The other one, had it not been broken, would have been a big one, much more like what I always expected an awl to look like.
    we have found some pretty small ones, as a kid, I traded my "arrowhead" finds to my uncles for 22 shells and shotgun shells to hunt with. there were certain fields that really produced after a good plow and then more after a rain.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links